Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default The Ace Mechanic, waiting for AAA

So there I sat, waiting for a tow home. Car suddenly quit running and had no spark, plenty of battery, just no spark, lights, or brake lights. Also not a tool aboard including the most important one, the cell phone. Walked a mile home, wife drove me back to car as I contacted AAA. They say 45 minutes, I say@#$%^&*, so sitting there with the car dead, hazard lights won't even blink, I glance again at the amp meter and it says 0. I tap it and it starts doing a rythmic pulsing, ahaw, must have power. Turn on key, step on starter and drive home. AAA notified. So why tell you? As you real mechanics probably have guessed all that was wrong with my car was the amp meter wasn't grounded. Fixed that with the tap. Well also tore it apart and found the tabs that hold it to the dash weren't doing that. They had never been employed. You may find this helpful at some poing in your driving days.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:48 AM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: The Ace Mechanic, waiting for AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
So there I sat, waiting for a tow home. Car suddenly quit running and had no spark, plenty of battery, just no spark, lights, or brake lights. Also not a tool aboard including the most important one, the cell phone. Walked a mile home, wife drove me back to car as I contacted AAA. They say 45 minutes, I say@#$%^&*, so sitting there with the car dead, hazard lights won't even blink, I glance again at the amp meter and it says 0. I tap it and it starts doing a rythmic pulsing, ahaw, must have power. Turn on key, step on starter and drive home. AAA notified. So why tell you? As you real mechanics probably have guessed all that was wrong with my car was the amp meter wasn't grounded. Fixed that with the tap. Well also tore it apart and found the tabs that hold it to the dash weren't doing that. They had never been employed. You may find this helpful at some poing in your driving days.
Ammeter doesn't have to be grounded. When you tapped on it you made a connection through it, Faulty ammeter, better replace it.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
nkaminar

I will go with B Brocksr but add that it may have been loose connectors at the ammeter. One quick fix if this happens again is to use a jumper wire to jump between the two wing nuts on the junction box on the firewall. I carry a jumper with alligator clips.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I will go with B Brocksr but add that it may have been loose connectors at the ammeter. One quick fix if this happens again is to use a jumper wire to jump between the two wing nuts on the junction box on the firewall. I carry a jumper with alligator clips.
Same here, and that's why carrying two 3 to 6 foot clip leads comes in handy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
700rpm

Wiggling a wire or tightening a nut is a tried and true method for solving Model A troubles, at least in my experience.
Also, I gave up on AAA and added roadside service to my Hagerty Model A insurance. (Just in case wiggling a wire didn’t work.)

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Wiggling a wire or tightening a nut is a tried and true method for solving Model A troubles, at least in my experience...

Yup - I still remember a time when I was stuck with seemingly no electricity (just like davey). Thankfully, I was parked next to another Model A, and the owner happened to wander up just as I had opened up my hood to start troubleshooting.

Explaining that I had no electricity, he said to remove my floorboard - after I did that, he got a wrench out and gave the battery terminals a few good whacks - and problem solved. I was dumbfounded (and very grateful) - I don't think I would have figured that out on my own - visually, the battery cables looked fine and tight.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
nkaminar

The lead on the battery terminals and connectors can get oxidized, which is an insulator. That is why it is important to use some sort of electrical grease on the terminals to keep the oxygen out.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #8
daveymc29

I agree with you all that the amp meter needs no ground. Been thinking about that today and was going to correct my missive but I see you are all way ahead of me on these things. That's why I am on the Fird Barn, love you all for setting me straight so often, and I didn't notice any cheap shots. That speaks well for all of us.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
J Franklin

I was out in the garage trying to get my model T started after last summer. I couldn't get the coils to BuZz but my meter showed 6 volts entering the coil box. I did some trouble shooting with a light bulb and could light it bright into. and out of the ammeter but not at the other end of the wire leaving it to the switch. Cleaned the end of the wire terminal and now everything is fine. so just a bit of resistance made a big difference.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote