Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
22rdstrguy

Default Stromberg WW jetting question.....

Hopefully someone on here can help me out. I have a Merc 255+.040 , EAB heads, 1CM cam & Merc 4 bolt manifold already bored out for 2G . But I picked up a Stromberg WW (approx. 275cfm) for a '58 Buick 364cid with 056 main jets. Obviously going to be way to rich. So I was going to buy a few jets based on the 2G jet sizes of 51, 52 , 53, 54 that most people on this board have used BUT! I'm wondering if I should base the jetting on a a Stromberg 97 jetting for this motor. If so what would be a good starting point?
22rdstrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:24 AM   #2
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Stromberg WW jetting question.....

Why do you think it will be too rich? The design of carbs, with venturi action, are "self-regulating" over a reasonably wide range. I would suggest giving it a try before purchasing unneeded extras.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:03 AM   #3
flatheadmurre

Jet size goes with carb size to get the mixture right...so canīt compare to a smaller carb or different type...
If you raised compression and upgraded ignition you may be able to economy tune it a bit leaner...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
tubman

I am running 2G's on bored out Merc manifolds on a couple of engines. They run fine with stock jetting. Both engines are larger than normal (255" and 258") and have aftermarket heads and ignition. I believe "Ol' Ron" on this board has also said that stock jet size on a 2G worked well for him also. Not exactly the same but very similar characteristics.

Last edited by tubman; 03-10-2020 at 11:50 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
scicala

Jet sizes go by how the carb was factory calibrated on a dyno to run well. Not by engine size, carb air flow size or other brand carb jet size. The best starting point and more than likely the best is to star wit the original jetting that was in it.
In other words, all carbs don't use a 50 to 52 main jet like the Holley 94 or 45's like the 97.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
22rdstrguy

Thanks for the replies. I was considering to just run it and I will as I have before on other builds. I just figured someone was running a Stromberg WW on this site & had maybe gone through some jetting adjustments and I would have a ballpark idea of where I may have to start from.
I would still like to gather a few extra jets as back up for tuning as I am in a semi rural area and in Canada so the mail to here is slow(usually a takes couple of weeks) and I didn't want to order different jets every other day as I probably wouldn't be finished dialing it in until Xmas.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
scicala

I think your in the ball park with stock jetting (as is now). If you need main jets Uncle Max on this forum should be able to help you.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
22rdstrguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
I think your in the ball park with stock jetting (as is now). If you need main jets Uncle Max on this forum should be able to help you.

Sal
Thanks Sal. Much appreciated.