Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #41
Mart

Default Re: Mitchell overdrive

40Pickup!
What can I say??!!
The drawings are fantastic!

Thanks for posting them.

When I make mine I will take pics and post then here.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #42
Rem

40Pickup, that's a very nice job. What are the drawings modelled in, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Mart, do you have the Volvo O/D? I have a couple of Triumph and Ford J-Types awaiting some investigation (I started looking while I had the '34, but perhaps I'll get onto it this year with the B). The Ford (Scimitar) one wouldn't be too useful as it has a splined output shaft, but the Triumph one has a flange like the Volvo appears to.
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #43
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
40Pickup, that's a very nice job. What are the drawings modelled in, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Mart, do you have the Volvo O/D? I have a couple of Triumph and Ford J-Types awaiting some investigation (I started looking while I had the '34, but perhaps I'll get onto it this year with the B). The Ford (Scimitar) one wouldn't be too useful as it has a splined output shaft, but the Triumph one has a flange like the Volvo appears to.
Hi Andy - my od unit came from some sort of a vauxhall or something - it has a splined output but I have the prop yoke - hopefully it's forged so I can weld to it. I have a plan in my mind, but have not cut up any early ford parts yet.
I'm pretty sure you can mix and match parts if the basic unit is the same - if the front end of the scimitar unit is more easily adaptable, you could use it with the flanged output from the Triumph unit if that is the easiest to adapt.

I'm hoping to connect to the output casing without welding a flange on so that will be interesting. Maybe I should be looking for a different output but plan on welding on a flange - something to consider I suppose.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 AM   #44
40Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post

Rem, it is quite okay to ask! I started with AutoCAD at the beginning of -90, and uses it still. Today there are so many programs to choose from, so I'm not sure it would be AutoCad if I were to choose today!
Maybe someone has an opinion?

/ 40Pickup
40Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #45
Gumpy

going to eventually purchase one of these and change out the pumkin rear end in my 40 coupe....then can drive the car anywhere!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #46
Rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Hi Andy - my od unit came from some sort of a vauxhall or something - it has a splined output but I have the prop yoke - hopefully it's forged so I can weld to it. I have a plan in my mind, but have not cut up any early ford parts yet.
I'm pretty sure you can mix and match parts if the basic unit is the same - if the front end of the scimitar unit is more easily adaptable, you could use it with the flanged output from the Triumph unit if that is the easiest to adapt.

I'm hoping to connect to the output casing without welding a flange on so that will be interesting. Maybe I should be looking for a different output but plan on welding on a flange - something to consider I suppose.

Mart.
Hi Mart, I'm hoping that there is some swapability in the parts. Gavin was also looking at using a J-Type, so maybe we should compare notes next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Pickup View Post
Rem, it is quite okay to ask! I started with AutoCAD at the beginning of -90, and uses it still. Today there are so many programs to choose from, so I'm not sure it would be AutoCad if I were to choose today!
Maybe someone has an opinion?

/ 40Pickup
Thanks, I use AutoCAD at work, although not full-time. I have not done any 3D work on it yet - we also have Solidworks for compatibility with a customer, but I do not have access to that software. Would you be prepared to share the AutoCAD files with others for reference? I would fully understand if you prefer not to, as I appreciate the amount of work that will have gone into creating them.

Cheers, Andy
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #47
Automotive Stud

I installed the Mitchell with the 36% overdrive in my '47 coupe with 3:78 gears and I love it! I used the cable shift setup, so I have a '49 Overdrive T handle mounted under the dash. I did have to notch the floor very slightly under the back seat, the forward edge of the overdrive would hit the floor on bumps. It was very easy to install, but I can't give much of an idea on time, mainly because I opted to rebuild the rear springs and add spring lining while it was all apart. I also replaced the clutch and rebuilt the transmission while I had everything out. I have pictures I can post if anyone is interested.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #48
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

This is a modification done here a lot for Model As
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rosco 178.jpg (58.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Rosco 179.jpg (76.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Rosco 177.jpg (61.2 KB, 156 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #49
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

This unit is more or less the same as 40 pick-up .You will note the extended casting out the rear,As i understand it this is required for a oil reservoir for cooling .Has 40 pick up had any issues here ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #50
flatmotor40

I moved the shifter bar on the OD to the bottom and that did away with hitting the floor.It makes teh cable push in to get OD pull out and you are out of OD
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #51
Automotive Stud

Ok here are some pictures of when I put it in my '47 coupe. As you can see from the one picture it was close to the floor pan. I thought it would clear, which it did until you hit a bump. So you can see how I had to notch the floor under the rear seat for clearance. Now I've had no problems at all. I would definately use one again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1019071823.jpg (81.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 1107071007b.jpg (70.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0130.jpg (90.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0137.jpg (53.6 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0147.jpg (86.7 KB, 966 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1615.jpg (81.8 KB, 750 views)
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #52
40Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
This unit is more or less the same as 40 pick-up .You will note the extended casting out the rear,As i understand it this is required for a oil reservoir for cooling .Has 40 pick up had any issues here ,

Yes you have a point here! Well .. measured the oil level in the O / D when it was installed to Volvo gearbox, (they share the oil) came to the conclusion that the oil level was not high in the O / D and the amount of oil was low. I thought, can this work? Maybe I had to make an external oil tank, but have run now for two years without any problems. If I have calculated oil level right, so it must be raised much for reaching out to the extended reservoir. That's an advantage with larger quantities of oil just to keep down the temperature, so I think you're right here. I thought, is it a disadvantage to the high oil level?

/40Pickup
40Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #53
CarPapa

Has anyone ever put a Mitchell into a '34 Tudor Sedan? I have tried to take measurements and it seems it would require cutting the floor and rear seat riser. It looks like it would fit if there was no suspension travel, but that is not realistic. Thanks.
CarPapa is offline   Reply With Quote