Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
jstone154

Default Cowl rivets on a 29 Model A

I am installing new lacing on my 29 Model A. I have done the radiator and now starting on the firewall cowl. On the radiator, I put the head of the split rivet on the outside and the crimp on the inside. Now I am getting ready to start the firewall cowl. Which way do the rivets go? Is the head of the rivet on the outside or inside of the cowl? I have seen pictures that looks like the head goes on the inside.
jstone154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Cowl rivets on a 29 Model A

The heads go on the inside. There is a special riveting tool I bought that set the split rivets very nicely. I will look of the tool on my computer. I think it is a tool made for model T transmission. The split ends shouldn't be smashed, but curved over.

I found a couple pictures of the tool I used. It did a very good job of setting the rivets like Ford did.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Split rivet setting tool front.jpg (75.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Split rivet setting tool top.jpg (42.7 KB, 77 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Jemelton#

Where did you find the tool, if I may ask? I will be needing one in the not to distant future.

Thanks.
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
jstone154

Thanks wrndln.

I have the tool and I purchased it at MAC's. I had to get a replacement one as the first one was not welded properly. (not square with the rivet). Other places have the same tool. Works good.

Back to work.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Goldhardt

I bought one of those rivet tools when I was doing mine as well. I got my tool at Snyders and it was blue. Now comes the decision, red or blue!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
wrndln

There are 2 styles of the red riveting tools. The only difference is the jaws are turned 90 degrees from one to the other. You need the style that sets the split rivets like the one I put in the response above. The other style is made with the jaws turned 90 degrees and won't work, as the tool can't be aligned properly to set the rivets. Snyder's has both tools. The tool number the Snyder's fellow said was the tool the set the cowl rivets is: T-4060-X and looks like the tool I have. If you decide to buy the tool, make sure you explain that you are a model A fellow and what you are trying to do. Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
wrndln

Goldhardt,
You need the red tool. The Blue tool wont work, as it is for model T transmission linings and the jaws are made the wrong way for setting the cowl rivets. This is what the Snyder's fellow told me.

I found the link to the Snyder's cowl rivet setting tool. The picture shows the tool painted blue, but the Snyder's fellow said it was red. The tools' jaws are what you need to set the rivets no matter what color the tool is painted.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/co...ing-rivet-tool
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 12-24-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added link to tool at Snyder's
Old 12-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
jstone154

My instructions with my blue tool which looks like your red tool has a note which says:
The current color of this tool is blue. A red color was used earlier. Apologies for any confusion. End of note.

Hope this helps.

The only problem that I had with my tool is the depth of the tool that touches the head of the rivet. On the cowl there is a lip that bends back and the tool did not touch the head. The first few rivets I used a metal spacer between the rivet and the tool. There are some that you can't get the spacer in, so I disassembled the tool and ground the metal back and made more clearance for the lip on the cowl. This problem may be unique to my model of body style. I have a 29 Murray body style 165.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Marco posted a picture a couple years ago of a nice rivet tool he made by modifying a pair of pliers.
This is the same thing I've been thinking about making for twenty years.
Gotta get it done. Maybe that will be my New Year's resolution.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote