Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #21
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: speedo gear-in tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Then why is Dave describing a '55?
Sorry everyone, Iwas confusing him with another one of the guys here that has a '55, but I went to his profile later and noticed he has a '57 Country Sedan wagon.
So yes, it is a 100% bolt in swap as is. No need for any parts interchange and you can use your original speedo cable and gear.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:17 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Cool Re: speedo gear-in tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

Sorry everyone, Iwas confusing him with another one of the guys here that has a '55, but I went to his profile later and noticed he has a '57 Country Sedan wagon.
I have never made that mistake ... ... (yeah, right) ...

I thought is was me that had something turned around.

No big deal ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:23 AM   #23
1930artdeco

K, sorry I am late getting these pics to you but this is the flex plate that came with the engine and tranny. Dont know if it a replacement or not but there are no frame that I can see.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 472809A9-4AF8-4492-9236-DECAF315537C.jpeg (118.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg 656DD487-6243-4B4E-B054-CCDADCB3B78D.jpeg (115.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-04-2021, 01:21 AM   #24
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: speedo gear-in tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post

K, sorry I am late getting these pics to you but this is the flex plate that came with the engine and tranny. Dont know if it a replacement or not but there are no frame that I can see.

Mike
No reason to be sorry. Yours is the service replacement. The originals were subject to failure.

Now there were two versions released, the first with just one center reinforcing ring and its replacement with three rings. How many reinforcement rings does yours have and if three in number, how are they placed?

1st photo shows original assembly and the 2nd service replacement with three reinf rings.

THANX for taking the time to post those photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_002.jpg (14.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg a_004.jpg (36.8 KB, 9 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 12-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #25
1930artdeco

I have the three rings and I just lined them up so the bolts holes all match. Is there a particular order they go in?

Mike
Old 12-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #26
dmsfrr

Place the flex plate on the crankshaft flange and line up the 6 bolt holes, one of them is slightly offset for proper alignment. Add the 3 spacer rings and 6 bolts just snug.

Check that the 6 flex plate bolts aren't extending too far forward thru the crank flange and hitting the rear of the block. Grind them very slightly shorter only as needed for safe clearance.

Final torque for those bolts is shown on pages 1-75 and 1-84 of a '57 shop manual, 75 - 85 ft lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flex plate reinforcing rings.jpg (48.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg flex plate & spacer rings.jpg (53.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-04-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: add images
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Post Re: speedo gear-in tranny

Quote:

I have the three rings and I just lined them up so the bolts holes all match. Is there a particular order they go in?

Mike
How were they mounted when you pulled the original trans?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #28
1930artdeco

DM, thanks for the torque specs. With a nice tight engine I should not be able to turn it when I torque it down.

K: I did not realize there was an order to them. But I think I have them in the same order, I tried to keep them that way at least.

Per the tranny shop, he wants the converter in all the way first and then bolt the trsnny to the engine and flex plate. That will be a it of a challenge.

Mike
Old 12-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #29
dmsfrr

Quote:
DM, thanks for the torque specs. With a nice tight engine I should not be able to turn it when I torque it down.
. . .
Per the tranny shop, he wants the converter in all the way first and then bolt the trsnny to the engine and flex plate. That will be a it of a challenge.
Mike
Pretty sure I remember having to bolt a short strap from the flex plate to a bolt hole on the back of the block to keep the crank from turning, to be able to hit the torque spec.

If you work thru the inspection cover hole at the bottom but mostly the opening for the starter, attaching the flex plate to the torque converter bolts isn't difficult.
Line them up to each other before-hand and remove the 4 nuts/bolts needed, reinstall them after the transmission is bolted to the block. Rotating the assembly with a small prybar or large screwdriver.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-04-2021 at 11:06 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:04 PM   #30
paul2748

Once the trans is bolted to the block, there should be just a little back and forth movement which will indicate that the converter is all the way in. Just pull it forward and bolt it up.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:01 AM   #31
KULTULZ

Post Re: speedo gear-in tranny

Quote:

K: I did not realize there was an order to them. But I think I have them in the same order, I tried to keep them that way at least.
You have the SERVICE REPLACEMENT PLATE that replaced the earlier style plates (1954/57). The first release had one reinforcing ring. I have the TSB for that setup. FORD then re-released the same plate with three reinforcing rings. There is no given way (other than the period TSB) to actually know in what sequence all parts were assembled. I do not have that TSB or know whether it is detailed in a later WSM as FORD changed the design again in 1958. If not assembled correctly, the torque convertor may not have enough free play when finally assembled.

When you removed your original trans, it had the later replacement plate (B7A 6375-A). You stated that there were three reinforcing rings. In what order were they assembled, three behind the flex-plate or possibly one ahead of the plate and two behind? This is the info I am trying to find.

- DISCLAIMER -