Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
29restorod

Default Water pump cavitation. Modifying impeller

Yesterday I made a 20 mile trip to test my cooling system in 92 degree heat. On the way to the afternoon cruise I kept the speed at 45 mph. The Moto meter stayed right at the summer indicater line. On the way home the temp was also staying steady,until I tried to bump the speed up to 50 mph. The temp shot up very quickly,and water started coming out the cap. I slowed down to 45 and the temp came back down. This would indicate to me the pump is cavitating at the higher RPM. I am using a Simmons high compression head,with a "B" cam,and a leakless water pump. I have read about grinding the impeller blades to cure this problem. How much should I grind off and what shape should I end up whith?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Water pump cavitation. Modifying impeller

My friend's did exactly the same thing and he had some plugged radiator tubes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Jason in TX

This is the slip of paper that comes in the Leakless pump from Brattons. It talks about how to grind the impellers if you are using a newer heavy duty radiator and their pump

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
2manycars

A plugged radiator will cause that. Also, the new radiators have a similar number of tubes as original, but the tubes are much smaller in volume, so they will not flow as much water as a clean original. I solved that problem by installing a 160 thermostat. It slows down the flow enough to stop the problem, and the coolant stays in the system, and the engine stays cool. I was on a trip saturday with my 29 tudor, and the air temp was 91, and the engine stayed cool except on long steep hills, but it never boiled, or even got to the area of the circle in the motometer. I was traveling at 45-55 all the way.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
29restorod

Thanks for the replies. I did not get the instructions to the pump,because it was on the car when I bought it. After flushing the cooling system a few weeks ago things got better. I am trying to avoid buying a new rad,but if I go to the trouble of removing the old one,a new one goes in. I will save those instructions,in my log book,for this car.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Would you run your house heating or cooling system without a thermostat??? I don't think so. Case closed.
Bill Matlock
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Before buying a new radiator, you might try running some vinegar in it for a couple days. I've read good reports about it's cleaning effects.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Richard Lorenz

It is my opinion that cleaning a Model A cooling system on the car requires a 2-step process. The first step is to remove the old grease that came in from the water pump. A detergent, perhaps?

The second step is to remove the accumulated rust. This is what the typical Auto-Store cleaners remove.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Jim/GA

Auto store radiator cleaners sold today are too weak to remove any significant rust build up in your block. You need something stronger.

Look at Evaporust. It chemically reacts only with with rust, converting it to something else that goes into the solution.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Would you run your house heating or cooling system without a thermostat??? I don't think so. Case closed.
Bill Matlock
I'm a big fan of auto engine thermostats but surely not for this reasoning--totally different mechanisms!

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
sturgis 39

A pump can not discharge more water than it can suck. Do you think there is a vacuum in the radiator? You probably a have a plugged radiator or a bad head gasket. You want the water or coolant to run as fast as it can through the whole system.

The pump will only cavitate if the the flow is stopped or the water temperate is close to boiling.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Ron in Quincy

When rebuilding water pumps over the last 40 years and using the standard A water pump impeller, I drill a 3/16 " hole in each impeller to slow down the pumping action at higher speeds; it will also stop cavatation.

This is assuming you have a good radiator.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
When rebuilding water pumps over the last 40 years and using the standard A water pump impeller, I drill a 3/16 " hole in each impeller to slow down the pumping action at higher speeds; it will also stop cavatation.

This is assuming you have a good radiator.

Ron
All these hole are doing is slowing down the flow which is the wrong direction. The water is just getting hotter. Removing a part of the blade is doing the same thing, You want the coolant to flow as fast as it can through the system. The heat transfer is a function of the temperature difference. The cooler the coolant the larger heat transfer from the block.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Jason in TX

It can't flow faster if there is a traffic jam. Try pouring a large bag of marbles into a funnel. Pour them as fast as you can and watch the funnel overflow.

Modern radiator cores have smaller tubes (like the small opening in the funnel) but more rows for more efficient cooling. So yes, you want to slow down the flow of the watter pump with a car with a modern core so you don't loose your marbles every time you drive it!!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
It can't flow faster if there is a traffic jam. Try pouring a large bag of marbles into a funnel. Pour them as fast as you can and watch the funnel overflow.

Modern radiator cores have smaller tubes (like the small opening in the funnel) but more rows for more efficient cooling. So yes, you want to slow down the flow of the watter pump with a car with a modern core so you don't loose your marbles every time you drive it!!

It is a closed circuit. The pump can not pump more water than It can suck. Must be a plugged radiator or a cheap radiator that does not meet specifications.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 07-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Ron in Quincy

The model A cooling system is part thermo feed. You can remove the water pump from the system by removing the belt; as long as you have a good radiator and the A is moving so air passes thru the radiator it will run at a normal tempature.
The water pump pulls water out of the engine into the top radiator tank, if the water does not move thru the radiator as fast as it is coming into the top tank, the excess will overflow into the overflow tube and this water is lost; this condition also cretes a void of water returning into the engine block which will cause cavatation and overheating. The water pump turns 1 1/4 times the engine RPM so slowing down the movement of water into the radiator I believe cn solve proplems. Just my opinion!!!!!!

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #17
RonC

Remove and try and clean your radiator first. I use lye (draino) and let it sit for about a 1/2 an hour with the bottom outlet plugged. Backflush the lye out and rinse good. wear googles. Sometimes it take 2 times or 2 bottles if it's plugged with stuff.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
eagle

Sturgis is right.... on a closed system you cannot pump one drop more than you can suck. It is impossible to "pile up" the water in the top tank. However.... with increased restrictions, the pump will cavitate quicker. The other theory about the water pumping through the radiator so fast that it doesn't have time to cool is also pure bunk. Its not the way physics works. The surface area of the radiator and the temperature and volume of the air flowing over it is how the cooling is calculated.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
Cool Hand Lurker

"Sturgis is right.... on a closed system you cannot pump one drop more than you can suck. It is impossible to "pile up" the water in the top tank. However.... with increased restrictions, the pump will cavitate quicker. The other theory about the water pumping through the radiator so fast that it doesn't have time to cool is also pure bunk. Its not the way physics works. The surface area of the radiator and the temperature and volume of the air flowing over it is how the cooling is calculated. "

Sturgis and Eagle are right. Basic Physics.
In a closed system, a restriction will slow the supply to the water pump and it can't possibly pump too much too quick. Then the motor can overheat and cause the water in the block to boil. That will create air in the system which will force water and air out the overflow. The restriction that causes this result is usually a plugged radiator. In fact it is the only unit in the system that can plug up.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
FL&WVMIKE

[QUOTE=29restorod;462038]Yesterday I made a 20 mile trip to test my cooling system in 92 degree heat. On the way to the afternoon cruise I kept the speed at 45 mph. The Moto meter stayed right at the summer indicater line. On the way home the temp was also staying steady,until I tried to bump the speed up to 50 mph. The temp shot up very quickly,and water started coming out the cap. I slowed down to 45 and the temp came back down. This would indicate to me the pump is cavitating at the higher RPM. I am using a Simmons high compression head,with a "B" cam,and a leakless water pump. I have read about grinding the impeller blades to cure this problem. How much should I grind off and what shape should I end up whith?[/QUOTE

29restorod ...................
Water should not be coming out your cap, no matter what your problem is. It sounds like you need a better gasket in your cap.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote