Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default San Diego Big 3 swap meet - Nice time! What did you find?

The San Diego Big 3 swap meet was Friday Feb 21 through Sunday the 23.
I understand that it was sold out. Sellers set up Friday morning between 7 AM and noon (sellers buy from each other during that time). The general public arrived at noon. The general public arrived at 8 AM on Saturday.

The weather was very nice. I talked to people from Wisconson and Illinois who were happy to get away from their cold winter weather. I met people from out of country who were glad to get away from rainy weather. It was probably in the high 70's on Saturday and low 70's with cloud cover on Saturday.

I met a lot of nice people, including some Fordbarners who I get to see only at this swap meet. My brother came with me this year. It was nice to visit with him and he watched my space several times allowing me to look for treasures.

Every year Gary Karr is nice enough to bring one of his cars to share with everyone. This year he brought his Henry award winning 1929 Tudor. What a beautiful car. Thank you Gary!

There were several Model A's for sale. The cheapest I saw was not running, in poor condition, and diplayed a sign for $6500.

I sold a lot of parts. It's alway nice to sell the heavy items like a rear end and a restorable short block (missing the head and pan). I sold a 1923 Model T block (no crank or pistons) for $10, just so I wouldn't have to bring it home.

I talked to an excited fellow who had just bought a nice working Sparton horn for $55. I saw a new Aries muffler go for $165. I should have bought it when I had a chance, but you know how that goes.

I bought a working accessory Westclox Model A clock for $25. Other items I found were pairs of DMV clear Model A era California license plates, some Zenith carburetors, a Fulton tire lock for a 21 inch wheel, some unrestored popout switches, a powerhouse generator, some restorable shock absorbers, and a gear shift knob that has an Indian face on it.

I'm hoping that others will share their opinion and tell us what items they found.

Regards, Neil

Last edited by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA; 02-23-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Vern

Default Re: San Diego Big 3 swap meet - Nice time! What did you find?

Hey Neil, it was nice meeting up with you, again this year. Unfortunately I had to work on Friday, so I missed getting around much. And I stayed pretty close to my space on Saturday sellin off things that had been taking up space. So I cleared enough $$ to cover my space rent for next year, which is good. The only thing I bought this year was a box of Girl Scout cookies. But, I did sign up two new members for the Victoria Association. Vern
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Juggler

I met up with Vern (hi Vern) and paid up the last two years of Victoria Association membership. Met up with Ron and Carol and did the same with my FAST dues.

Bought a trailer full of stuff, but highlights were a 28/29 English sidelight for my Dad (John Charlton)'s Phaeton, two half decent frames for very reasonable money, a full set of 21" Firestones for the Woody and a Diamond A block for $50 that I took a chance on.

Great weather, lots of vendors, lots of buyers on the Friday and Saturday but pretty quiet this morning. All packed up now and ready to head back to Phoenix tomorrow having been well fed and watered in good company.

Roll on next year!
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
PO51

I picked up some nice floor boards a wiring harness 5 21 inch rims and made contact with a gentleman who lives 5 miles from me who has the equipment to mount my new front brake drums and swedge in my lug bolts. So it was a great weekend, I did miss out on some Cabriolet parts.
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
John LaVoy

We had a great time, our booth was next to Arizona Model A and many Model A folks stopped by. The weather was wonderful this time. I picked up a couple of ads but that was about it, we were busy enough I didn't have time to shop. Hope everyone else had a great time and found what they were looking for!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Three low res.jpg (66.8 KB, 56 views)
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Fdohnke

I need to make it down to San Diego for next year's.
Fdohnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
glenn in camino

The weather was as good as it gets. Frank's cheese burgers were great.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
1930artdeco

Is this swapmeet as big/bigger/smaller than Turlock? I am thinking two words here.....'Road Trip!'

Mike
Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
31Abone

I pick up a 31 cabriolet,not the one at the meet $3500 but one that a golf cart driver staff had that was carrying a model overdrive that I had bot..good meet ..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
foxfire42

Got a Dill valve stem with cap and 3 Schraders all with excellent threads and nice lettering for late 31.

I think this year was leaner on A parts then last year. I saw more what I call Gypsy vendors last year (those that are not Model A people but have a mixture of A parts and other nondescript car parts) That's usually where I find model A treasure. Anyway, this year I considered lean but next year I hope is different.

Last edited by foxfire42; 02-25-2014 at 12:31 PM.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
John LaVoy

It is pretty close to the same size as Turlock.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote