Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
29restorod

Default Charging and Jump starting 6V Neg ground

Yesterday my Battery was flat dead,after I forgot to shut off the master disconnect. I was a little confused on hooking up my charger,and jump starter. When the battery is hooked up in the car,the POS post is hooked up to ground,do you use the pos or neg lead on the POS battery post? When the battery is out of the car,what terminals do you connect to? Can't remember how I did it in the old days. I got the car started,by connecting the + terminal to chassis ground,and Neg terminal to the stud on the starter. Everything seems to work,Amp gauge shows 10 amp charge rate,while driving,and car would restart, when I got home.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
JoeWay

Default Re: Charging and Jump starting 6V Neg ground

You did it right.

No matter whether the battery is in or out of the car, the positive charger clamp goes to the positive battery terminal. If it's in the car and you're using the chassis for ground, then you need to make sure which battery terminal is grounded and maintain that polarity.

Did you leave something turned on, or do you have a problem you need to fix? The battery shouldn't run down under normal circumstances.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Yep, what Joe said about jumping or charging.. But, why did the battery die ?? When shutting the car down, a check of the amp meter may show a draw meaning something is staying on.. Removal of a battery wire[either one at any convenient location] and connection of a volt meter will show if there is a draw that needs to be corrected.. Probably one of the most common draws is the brake light switch becoming stuck on..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
eystein

Yep always positive to positive and negative to negative. However, be careful ! If you jump start a car with positive ground from a car with negative ground you have to be pretty damn sure that no metal part of one car touches or otherwise is electrically connected to the other car. If not, the batteries will be shorted and you will be in for some grand fireworks.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
eystein

Add to this, that the average Joe who wnts to do a jump start will simply slam one cable from chassis to chassis and the other cable between whichever poles he finds not connected to ground. This will be cathastropic. So be absolutely sure that you know what you are doing, and do not let the other cars owner talk you into something. Better to ask him to help pushing your A to start it.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
eystein

Sorry Joe, when I said "average Joe" i didn't in any way refer to you. Hope you didn't take any offense.

Regards,

Eystein
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
29restorod

I have not had time to check out the electrical system yet. I know the head lights are not working properly,one head light on low beam,and opisite light on high beam. Working on the car today.