Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
Rocktrend

Default 39 big truck driveshaft removal

Ok guys. I am finally to the point where I need expert advice and or diagrams. I am doing a frame off resto on a 39 big truck. I have the body off, engine and trans pulled as a unit, and frame completely stripped. I am having trouble understanding how the hell I get the driveshaft out in order to replace the middle ujoint. I have a feeling the entire third member has to be pulled back and out of the truck. That's fine if that's what needs to be done, I am just not believing ford would have set it up this way. It would make a huge job out of replacing that center joint. Which is trashed right now. Leading me to believe that's the reason it wasn't changed. I ordered a few books from gaslight but the guy said it doesn't really cover the big truck and that I may be "opening a can of worms". Along with my other questions where do I find resources for the big truck drivetrain/suspension? Another thing is how does the rear leaf shackle remove from the frame mount? It looks like a set bolt needs to be removed allowing a giant regular screwdriver tip to uncork the shackle pin? Please help me here guys nobody in my tiny little town knows about this truck. I would really like to keep the rear axle original but if I am indeed opening up cans of worms I may just swap it for the 1996 f super duty rear end instead. Another thing how do I remove the front leaf pack? Thanks for any input. My project has been standstill for days and Im waiting on books from gaslight that may not even help me.
Rocktrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 39 big truck driveshaft removal

You should just need to remove the coupling shaft to get the U-joint out.
Do you have the parts book or Service Bulletins, they show how things are assembled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Couplingshaft_1938-39truck.jpg (51.3 KB, 33 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
marko39

See if you can find a reprint of the 1939-48 Ford and Mercury shop manual which I believe was originally printed in Canada. Has lots of info for the big trucks.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Rocktrend

I just got a book in this afternoon. I can't remember what the title is. I'm going to look it over but I need to remove the suspension anyway so I looking for pointers there.
Rocktrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #5
GB SISSON

Info and definately parts for the big trucks are from 'Chuck's Trucks' in Conneticut. I have had quite a few pre war big fords, but have settled comfortably into the 42-47 with their juice brakes, and best of all the hotchkiss open drive with longitudinal leaf springs. Also you need the 'Green Bible'. Ford chassis manual. Enjoy your build. In my opinion there is no endeavor so satisfying as bring back an old vehicle, and extra points for an old Ford Big truck.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote