Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Harbor freight sale

TIP: MANY drill bits are ruined by running them TOO FAST! Just slow down & apply a FIRM pressure, to get a continuous curly cutting.
FAST is GOOD, when using a grinding stone attachment.
Bill W.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Someone here on the Barn made me aware of the $99 engine hoist. It works great for this light duty work.
Is that a 1 or 2 ton?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Is that a 1 or 2 ton?
That's the 1 ton. The 2 ton is on sale for $179. I've checked our local HF for the 2 ton and they are always out of stock and they won't sell the floor sample. I'm going to try buying it on line for pickup at the store.

In a previous thread, some guy said he used the 2 ton hoist to lift his roadster body off the frame without any help.

David Serrano.
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #24
pgerhardt

Here is my latest HF purchase. Now my model A tools have a home of their own.

BTW I used another useful HF purchase (a hydraulic table) to get the tool chest out of the back of my truck (store workers put it in my truck) and down to the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 4.05.04 PM.jpg (75.9 KB, 43 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #25
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Harbor freight sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
Yep, Harbor Freight must be watched carefully. I was in the store several weeks ago and added a free LED flashlight to my order. The coupon stated that the light sold for $4.97 and I got it for free. When I checked out I asked the clerk about the price of $4.97 when the price on the rack was always just $1.99. She said "the price in the advertisement was what you would pay elsewhere, or something like that." Her words, not mine.
Marty
Marty,

That sounds like something a Model T guy would say .....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #26
holdover

pgerhardt, that 44" box ix a keeper, Both my son and I have one. The way I test mine is I lifted my 7 yr old grand son into the top drawer, it still moved with one finger, most the others failed that test. For 359 it is hard to beat.. mine is 4 yrs old with no problems
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #27
daveymc29

where do you buy the best gram scale? HF doesn't seem to advertise a scale, gram or otherwise.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #28
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
where do you buy the best gram scale? HF doesn't seem to advertise a scale, gram or otherwise.
They have several...

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...nk%2Cf&q=scale
Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
Yep, Harbor Freight must be watched carefully. I was in the store several weeks ago and added a free LED flashlight to my order. The coupon stated that the light sold for $4.97 and I got it for free. When I checked out I asked the clerk about the price of $4.97 when the price on the rack was always just $1.99. She said "the price in the advertisement was what you would pay elsewhere, or something like that." Her words, not mine.
Marty
Look here, 9 led flashlight.

or here;

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...led-flashlight
Old 07-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #30
RockHillWill

I have become friends with Dan the local HF store manager. I visit often to buy door prizes for the Redneck Roundup, and he gives me pallets that I can use for shipping the English wheeling machines that I get from Australia. They are very good about returns and refunds, and this particular store has a shelf in one corner that you can get items in broken boxes, chipped parts, etc. VERY cheap. I go there often.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #31
BILL WILLIAMSON

Harbor Freight is a BLESSING! We know some stuff is NOT professional quality, but it's quite good for a "hobbiest"--Some stuff we have to be picky about & buy KNOWN GOOD stuff.
Ever pull an engine with a CHAIN & a POLE???---TGFHF---
By the way, go to their Website, you'll be AMAZED at the stuff there, that's NOT in their STORES!!! ----Like, 127 types of drill motors!!! The Dog says he only counted 124????--He's probably RIGHT!
Not ALL American tools are necessarily QUALITY!!! Bought a Fancy Craftsman Jig Saw that wore out shortly, NO LUBRICANT IN THE GEARBOX, at all!!!
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 07-31-2017 at 08:43 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #32
Bill G

We have a HF in our town that opened up a few years ago. Other retailers have closed. We now have a small Sears home and garden type franchise store that sells a limited line of Craftsman tools and a K-Mart that also has a limited line of Craftsman. Given the way things are going for both Sears and K-Mart, I don't expect K-Mart to last much longer here.

Since I bought the Model A a couple months ago I have been a pretty regular customer at HF. Now, I notice that they have the same lifetime guarantee on their main line of tools, just like Craftsman.

The dichotomy here is that on one hand, I think about HF's lifetime guarantee, and wonder how long HF will be here to make good on that guarantee, and then I think back on Craftsman and where we thought Sears would always be around, guess what! Nothing is permanent!

So, like I said, I am a pretty regular customer at HF, and like everyone else has said, they are great for us hobbyists who don't use our tools to make a living, but who need or would like a tool that isn't sold in your average hardware store. Especially in a smaller town like the one I live in which isn't terribly small, but not big enough to have many choices like the bigger cities.

Yup, some things are crap, but overall I have had great luck.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #33
hop2it

I bought 2 of the $99 engine hoists and used them to build a rotisserie
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.0 KB, 62 views)
hop2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #34
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
The dichotomy here is that on one hand, I think about HF's lifetime guarantee, and wonder how long HF will be here to make good on that guarantee, and then I think back on Craftsman and where we thought Sears would always be around, guess what! Nothing is permanent!
Bill, Stanley/Black & Decker has bought out the Craftsman Brand so Craftsman will be around at least for a little while longer.

Almost all of the tools I carry in the Town Sedan are from HF. My "Main Box" in the garage are mostly Snap-on and Craftsman.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-30-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #35
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Bill, Stanley/Black & Decker has bought out the Craftsman Brand so Craftsman will be around at least for a little while longer.

Almost all of the tools I cary in the Town Sedan are from HF. My "Main Box" in the garage are mostly Snap-on and Craftsman.
The same goes for me.
Where tools are easily lost or stolen, I carry H/F tools, and the good one stay at home.

If you buy those small pneumatic tires on sale, as in my picture, be sure to carry a 6" long piece of 5/8" wood dowel with you, so you can spin the wheels. At least half of them have a bad wobble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dog House 1.JPG (150.8 KB, 15 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #36
Terry, NJ

A few thoughts, HF is having a huge clearance sale in which they're selling the "Purple Gun" for $8 and change, normally $15+. Craftsman is no longer guaranteed for life! They got me on a Torque wrench! 90 days is all they guarantee things for anymore. 91 days past buy date, and you're on your own!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #37
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
A few thoughts, HF is having a huge clearance sale in which they're selling the "Purple Gun" for $8 and change, normally $15+. Craftsman is no longer guaranteed for life! They got me on a Torque wrench! 90 days is all they guarantee things for anymore. 91 days past buy date, and you're on your own!
Terry
Yup caftsman quality has gone down hill but the price sure hasn't. Also anything in craftsmans evolve line does not have the lifetime warranty. I haven't even stepped foot in a sears in 4 years as that store has nothing I want with terrible prices. I used to like Kmart but all of ours in IL closed up.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Terry
http://www.masslive.com/business-new...fetime_wa.html

https://www.craftsman.com/customer-c...ty-information
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #39
29restorod

you are lucky it only bent. one of mine broke off and left me with a scar one my hand.