Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
tsanborn

Default '56 Country Sedan Rear License Plate Holder Assembly

This is probably a futile search but I thought I'd ask. I was in a hit and run accident in my '56 Ford Country Sedan wagon that damaged my rear tailgate. Repairs are complete with the exception of the rear license plate holder assembly. For clarity, this mechanism swings the license plate away from the tailgate when it's lowered. There is a cast metal base with two "ears" that hold the pin on which the license plate assembly rotates. These pins broke off with the accident. I've tried to epoxy the pins back into place without success. I have drilled the back of the ears and inserted small screws attached to a new backing plate with similar results. I'm stumped and hoping someone might have a suggestion. If anyone can suggest where I might find a replacement, I'd be most grateful (and amazed!). I know I'm looking for unobtainium but thought it would be worth asking. Pictures attached if what I'm trying to describe isn't clear. Happy 4th to all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3606.jpg (68.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3603.jpg (54.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3609.jpg (65.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3602.jpg (54.5 KB, 38 views)
tsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:21 PM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: '56 Country Sedan Rear License Plate Holder Assembly

Try posting over on the HAMB, specifically the 52-59 Social Group.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:07 AM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Tell ya what. The chrome plated cast pot-metal piece with the busted off ears could have been "muggy-welded" back onto the piece had you not tried your home "fixes" which now may have prevented muggy-welding to be performed.
Muggy-welding can be done at most chrome-plating/restoration shops who cater to antique auto and motorcycle enthusiasts.
If worst comes to worst, you may need to find another chromed base and get it rechromed.
If the pin itself is bent or damaged, you can probably find round steel bar stock at one of the larger hardware stores, take the proper size diameter and bring it home, cut it to length and round off the end. I would try to get stainless steel for that.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:51 PM   #4
tsanborn

Thanks for suggesting HAMB. I've never used that site before and I'm concerned that when I try to sign up, I'm getting a notice that I need to send my credit card information to something called "Quick Stream". Probably legit but I don't see anything that assures me that this service is directly related to the HAMB. Can anyone put my mind at rest? I'd love to go on and try to find the license plate holder assembly for my '56 Country Sedan.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:00 PM   #5
miker98038

FWIW, the Jalopy Journal, of which the HAMB is a part, is owned and operates by Ryan who also owns and operates this site. The HAMB has some very specific rules which you do need to read first. Your topic is ok, but it’s not much of a “restoration” site.

You probably would post that in the “wanted” section, but I don’t think you can join and immediately use the ads or join a social group. Part of keeping the spammers out.

But you don’t need to worry about anything more than you do here on the ‘barn. I don’t remember any problem with sign up, but it’s been years.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:21 AM   #6
51504bat

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanborn View Post
Thanks for suggesting HAMB. I've never used that site before and I'm concerned that when I try to sign up, I'm getting a notice that I need to send my credit card information to something called "Quick Stream". Probably legit but I don't see anything that assures me that this service is directly related to the HAMB. Can anyone put my mind at rest? I'd love to go on and try to find the license plate holder assembly for my '56 Country Sedan.

Signing up on the HAMB is free. No credit card needed. Male sure you logged onto the correct site.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
Old 08-20-2023, 05:23 AM   #7
raceron1120

I noticed you posted in the HAMB 52-59 social group. There's also a WANTED section in the classifieds you might want to post this too. Link to it:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/wanted.30/

Good luck.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:41 AM   #8
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Tell ya what. The chrome plated cast pot-metal piece with the busted off ears could have been "muggy-welded" back onto the piece had you not tried your home "fixes" which now may have prevented muggy-welding to be performed.
Muggy-welding can be done at most chrome-plating/restoration shops who cater to antique auto and motorcycle enthusiasts.
If worst comes to worst, you may need to find another chromed base and get it rechromed.
If the pin itself is bent or damaged, you can probably find round steel bar stock at one of the larger hardware stores, take the proper size diameter and bring it home, cut it to length and round off the end. I would try to get stainless steel for that.
There's still a chance to "muggy-welded" it. I put some window winders back together and it held good. The bad news for me is it was very crappy material that broke elsewhere, not related to my weld. The weld is still solid. In your case the part broke by force, not from degraded material.
Remove the epoxy and other crap. You can file to prepare the weld area and clean well. Weld proud of original then file to shape.
Muggy-weld is actually a solder and is done using a propane torch. They have puddy that sticks to the part to draw heat away from areas that you want to protect while helping to hold things in place.
There are lots of broken pot metal parts you can use to practice. Check out their website and others online to help get you started.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:04 PM   #9
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
FWIW, the Jalopy Journal, of which the HAMB is a part, is owned and operates by Ryan who also owns and operates this site. The HAMB has some very specific rules which you do need to read first. Your topic is ok, but it’s not much of a “restoration” site.

You probably would post that in the “wanted” section, but I don’t think you can join and immediately use the ads or join a social group. Part of keeping the spammers out.

But you don’t need to worry about anything more than you do here on the ‘barn. I don’t remember any problem with sign up, but it’s been years.
Hmmmm. Ok, but maybe not. I mean the man needs help, ya know...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:53 PM   #10
1930artdeco

IF the piece you need fixed is pot metal and you can put the ears back on for a temp install, you can get the whole thing recast. I can't recall the name but there is a place in Penn that is owned by some Amish people where they will recast the item for you. If you go over to Old Wood Working Machines and poke around you will be able to find out if they are still around and where they are.

Mike
Old 08-21-2023, 12:36 PM   #11
brake1000

Call French Lake auto parts in MN 320 274-8497 they have a 56 wagon they are parting out.
brake1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:18 PM   #12
RBRanche

Sent you a PM. I believe i have what you need. Ron
RBRanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:30 AM   #13
RBRanche

Is it really that hard to acknowledge someone when they go out of their way to try and help? Show some consideration and at least make contact even if you have found what your looking for or are not interested. Just another example of how self centered and ignorant society is becoming!
RBRanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:55 PM   #14
tsanborn

I can't thank you all for your help. Sorry it's taken me a bit to respond. There were apparently some variation in the license plate holders between '55 and '56. I've managed to find 3 versions that all look the same but are incompatible. The painted nose on the original one and the other two are too wide to fit inside of the chromed bracket element. By nose, I'm referring to the painted part that contains the license plate light. As a result, the 'nose' on each of them won't fit inside either of the two good brackets that I've found and can't swing upwards without binding when the tailgate is lowered. I'll figure something out but it's a puzzle right now. I greatly appreciate the tip on French Lake Auto Parts. I'll give them a call tomorrow. In the meantime, thank for the great input, I'll have to look into muggy welding as a possibility.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:01 PM   #15
tsanborn

Ron at RBRanche, sorry I skipped over your reply. You indicated that you might have one? Fantastic! I've checked my text messages and don't see anything from you but that doesn't mean anything. I'm roadkill on the informational superhighway. Could you try again? My mobile is 510-333-0478
Old 09-28-2023, 07:07 PM   #16
Daves55Sedan

Tsa; I don't believe there were any differences in the license plate bracket/light assemblies in '55/56, but it seems that they may have had a shallower bracket and light hood in the 46-51 ford woody wagon, and may have changed a little bit in the '52- 54 model years but it is too hard to see the difference without comparing them with a tape measure in hand. It would be best to find a replacement from a '55/56 donor wagon if you can't successfully muggy-weld your bracket.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote