Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2022, 10:05 PM   #21
nelsb01

Default Re: Another unbridled venture

Jeff;
Whoa..................I had my Covered Bridge shirt on yesterday.

Yup............'we drive 'em before we judge 'em'

And Frank is certainly doing that!!!!
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:55 PM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
One more thing. Last night at the hotel I pulled a John Mason. Around 7pm there was a loud knock on my door. Guy says I'm in his room. The woman told me room 19, justwalk in and the key is on the table. Guess she said 18. At least no one was sleeping. Guy just took 18 and we had a good chat outside.
Frank, lololol 😂😂😂😂 you will never top the fiasco that I pulled off 😆

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:12 AM   #23
Tinker

not car related but some of us dino's like when passing throw the black hills.
https://www.bhigr.com/

hope the trip was fun and safe!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:49 AM   #24
Frank Miller

Everyday starts out with a planned drive that could change.
Today was no different.
After a good breakfast and chatting with a few locals I was off. A little trip down 94 and I was on 12 headed towards Missoula.
This road was better than any highway I could have taken across Montana. I had the whole road to myself, which was good because there are no shoulders. You'll see in the pics.
I pulled into Melstone and there was an old Edsel as well as a Mercury and a front yard junkyard as I now call them. I talked to Harry and Ed who worked there. Later met Cindy and Ron who were riding their motorcycles to Washington. Harry told me to take all the pics I wanted to so I did.
Now I headed out up to Roundup to get gas. I met a bunch of motorcyclists there and they were headed to a bike meet in Lincoln. I thought I should check that out so route change.
I put Lincoln in the GPS and headed up 87 to 200 which would bring me to Missoula. That turned out to be a good decision because I ran across the mother lode of front yard junkyards. The owner, Tim, not only let me take pictures but gave me a little tour. He said most of it is for sale and what isn't might still be able to be bought.
I was thinking I'm going to kill my battery taking so many pics.
I continued on to Lincoln but not before seeing a truck broke down with the hood up. I suppose there are risks but my code is you don't drive by a stranded vehicle in the middle of nowhere.
Anyway Dave said he was all set and thanked me for stopping. He just had to let it cool down to fix a hose. Must have worked because he passed me much later.
Lincoln turned out to be a bust but before I got there I crossed the Continental Divide via Rogers Pass at 5600 feet. I think the car should have ran a little stronger but I think I was climbing hill steeper than I realized. I know elevation makes a difference.
So after Lincoln I decided to try and find a place to stay. Well needless to say that did not happen until Missoula and it was not cheap.
I should be in Wenatchee tomorrow and look forward to a day of rest. In the meantime there's a junkyard on the way to Sandpoint.
Wish I got more pictures but hope this gives you an idea.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #25
Frank Miller

If you do not do Facebook find someone who does and look for Tour of the great northern route 2. Pics are there.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
If you do not do Facebook find someone who does and look for Tour of the great northern route 2. Pics are there.
Some of Frank's pictures. Click the link BELOW! Coop

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...83316302279783

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:50 PM   #27
Randy in ca

This link should take you to all of Frank's pictures without having to login to Facebook. Newest ones are on top.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/134503040494452/media
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #28
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Didn't JM's '35 show up in Tahoe with similar road grime collected between Maryland and Nevada? The judges weren't too impressed, but it could be argued that the rules allow for dirt and wear etc. between home and the meet. Could it be they didn't figure it would be a few thousand miles worth. Maybe give the '49 a quick rinse anyway, eh Frank?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02848.jpg (99.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (55.4 KB, 250 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-09-2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: I can't spell no good
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:37 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
This link should take you to all of Frank's pictures without having to login to Facebook. Newest ones are on top.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/134503040494452/media
I just can't seem to cross that bridge to facebook. But Randy, I thank you for getting those pics up on Frank's journey. They are outstanding! I'm kicking myself in the ass for not driving something over the pass to Wenatchee this weekend. Once the ferry hits the mainland it's only like 4 hours away. I live in this stupid bubble 12 miles from town and only leave the island for occasional cardiologist appointment. The pics of Montana and N Dakota and the vehicles are almost beyond belief!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:53 PM   #30
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I just can't seem to cross that bridge to facebook. But Randy, I thank you for getting those pics up on Frank's journey. They are outstanding! I'm kicking myself in the ass for not driving something over the pass to Wenatchee this weekend. Once the ferry hits the mainland it's only like 4 hours away. I live in this stupid bubble 12 miles from town and only leave the island for occasional cardiologist appointment. The pics of Montana and N Dakota and the vehicles are almost beyond belief!

Except for a trip to the dry side of the mountains for some unobtainium rear tonner fenders, tailgates, or hubcaps?
Old 07-09-2022, 11:39 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Except for a trip to the dry side of the mountains for some unobtainium rear tonner fenders, tailgates, or hubcaps?
It's been way too long though. Frank's pictures of those long Montana roads just draw me in.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:06 AM   #32
Frank Miller

Today's travels took me on 200 north out of Missoula along the Flathead River which became the Clark Fork River. I knew this would be a scenic ride and got a few photos but I do not think I could ever capture the experience of traveling through here.
I headed up to Sandpoint where I stopped for lunch. It is a somewhat crowded tourist place as it sits by Lake Pend Oreille. Also my crossing into Idaho let me gain an hour so I'm on Western time.
I now picked up route 2 which took me to Wenatchee. Yes, I made it.
Got some frontyard junkyard photos as well as a few driving pictures. Did see a bunch of guys trying to get a boat back on a trailer and met a woman with a 25 Buick she inherited from her father. She approached me as she thought I might know someone who could help her. They were headed to the lake with their boat.
I did see someone pulled over for speeding in Washington on a road posted 60mph that would be 70mph in Montana. I guess Montana feels they have better drivers.
Anyway enjoy the pictures. No driving today if I can help it.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #33
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Thanks for posting about your trip. I have enjoyed it very much. How Manny miles have you put on your 49 Ford? You are doing what most of us dream of doing. Does your Ford have overdrive?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #34
glennpm

Thanks Randy for the link and all the pictures Frank.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #35
Frank Miller

Today was a tour day but still an adventure.
We began with a ride to Rocky Reach Dam where we could see the salmon swimming up the fish ladders. They had a very impressive visitor center and tour. There were a lot of people there so we had to hang around for the next tour, which put us a little behind but right where we needed to be.
After the tour we headed to Leavenworth - no not Kansas - a small German like town nestled in the Cascades. The railroad used to go through there but that changed during the depression. The town was wallowing and the people living there came up with the touris attraction idea. There were lots of shops and people walking around. It was a great visit.
But I need to back up a bit. On our way there we were supposed to park at a club member's house and take a shuttle that ran until two. We missed the turn so just drove into town and parked. As we were leaving this woman flagged us down. They were with the meet and missed the buss. Here again the right place, right time. We brought them back to their car and all was well. We were invited to hang out for a bit with the property owners and enjoyed a beautiful view of the mountains.
Later that evening a few of us went to visit my apricot guy and see his cars. While apart they were impressive.
Hope the pictures help the narrative.
Meant to say Rich Russel was my navigator, thus the pronoun we. Did not want you to think I started identifying as schizophrenic.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #36
Frank Miller

Sorry guys I kind of bailed out on this but here is the update.
I made it home safely with only one vapor lock incident in Newell SD where I was running 100 degree heat. Happened on a gas stop. Went to restaurant where car stopped, ate got some ice for the fuel pump and we were running.
The return trip was more about returning. Still meeting people and making stories as well as driving the less traveled road.
Longest day was 801 miles from Stewart Iowa to just below Erie PA.

The Wenatchee meet was great and the hard work and dedication by the hosts was not unnoticed.
A few notes to do as you wish
Stock fuel supply with a pump I installed at restoration in 2004, could have been rebuilt I forget, with no problems except as noted. I consider that part of primitive motoring.
I have never worried about what gasoline I put in the car. Just go with the cheapest. Unless it was E15. I did not use that stuff. Saw a few stations with ethanol free gas but said, what's the point.
6300 miles generated a 1,685 dollar fuel bill. Average price around 4.70 a gallon.
I told people I'm burning my 401k before ***** does. Read that how you wish. Just facts not trying to incite political debate. Oh and by facts I mean that is wht I told people.
Last winter I installed a 4 core radiator from Shoebox Central. 700 then, might be different now. The only problem I had was in traffic. Ths radiator needs airflow but when you get it it is outstanding. I ran 3/4 in 100 degrees at 70mph. I did not baby any hills with overheating concerns. I crossed the Catskills, the Rockies and the Cascades without incident. This radiator fit nicely as in how it bolts in but the top tank shape is different. Right now I'll live with that and might try fabricating a fan shroud for it.
I'll send the oil for analysis and update you all on that. I did add a quart at one point.

The facebook page i updated has all the pictures and stories. The page is open so anyone can see it. Surely you all know someone who can accommodate you.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #37
TJ

I can guarantee with 100% accuracy that Frank had a good time at Wenatchee and on his road trip!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:03 AM   #38
Pat/Ohio

Frank, Thanks for taking us along on your "unbridled venture!"

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

Frank, I think you did a great job of describing your daily driving adventures, along with putting up pictures on your Facebook page. I looked forward to reading those each day.

Hey Frank, maybe think about depleting more of your 401k/IRA, and doing the The Border Affair - in Colorado / New Mexico, EFV-8C/A National Driving Tour with some of us in September!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-22-2022 at 07:01 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #40
Lawrie

I drove on some different roads on my trip away last month.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B8F74CCA-9A9D-4594-B9EB-B6FFC3B11FBD.jpg (38.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 8DA3D9E2-1044-401C-81E8-EA892A9BDAF0.jpg (53.0 KB, 12 views)
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote