Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
HemiDeuce

Default Relining a 1941 Lincoln Brake Drum

I have contacted J&G Brake Drum Relining about relining one of my 41 Lincoln Drums and they tell me they would be removing the hub from the drum.
I would prefer not to do this as the hub and studs that are original are in perfect condition and are also balanced by the factory.
Do you think this is necessary to reline the scored drum?

Last edited by HemiDeuce; 04-14-2022 at 09:23 AM.
HemiDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Relining a 1941 Lincoln Brake Drum

Is your drum beyond limits to turn and out of round? Scoring if not excessive is not detrimental to good braking. If you are having the drums refurbished I think it is best to let the proffesinals do it the way they want or need.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:34 PM   #3
HemiDeuce

The one Drum in question is scored 90 thosand oversize, and usable ones are impossible to find.
So I would like to save this one.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #4
19Fordy

Ask the company if they would be willing to make a fixture that would allow the drum to be turned without removing the hub. One way would be to make a fixture that would use the stock studs to hold the drum for turning and the other end of the fixture could be held in a lathe chuck.

Surely, it could be done.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Given that they do this as their business, I'd let them do the work as they know best. Why incur additional costs and add complexities to the situation - for what gain? As long as they 'index' the original location and install the hub back in its original clocking, then I can't see any issue at all. I'd also ask them about what warranty or guarantee they provide for their work . . . always worth checking on the front end.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
Fred A

It makes significant difference, front or rear as they are quite different animals. Rears are the same from '39 to '48 and therefore abundant. '41 is unique. Ask the right question. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

With all of the people converting to the Lincoln brakes on the early Fords is there any chance that they are reproducing the drum you need? I would check with the companies making the conversion kits.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:29 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
With all of the people converting to the Lincoln brakes on the early Fords is there any chance that they are reproducing the drum you need? I would check with the companies making the conversion kits.

Charlie Stephens

NONE of the repro drums are anything like an original. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:45 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDeuce View Post
I have contacted J&G Brake Drum Relining about relining one of my 41 Lincoln Drums and they tell me they would be removing the hub from the drum.
I would prefer not to do this as the hub and studs that are original are in perfect condition and are also balanced by the factory.
Do you think this is necessary to reline the scored drum?
I'll try and load a picture, well that didn't work.

These guys KNOW what they're doing, obvious by their revealing picture process. Send them your drum! Click the link BELOW for pictures. Coop

https://www.jgrelining.com/photos

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 04-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

On a side note, would not be a bad idea to have them reline the brake shoes and ARC them to fit the drums they restore for you. Get everything from one place and then you'll be sure that the "combo" works as it should.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
On a side note, would not be a bad idea to have them reline the brake shoes and ARC them to fit the drums they restore for you. Get everything from one place and then you'll be sure that the "combo" works as it should.

Last time I checked, J & G is capable of arcing shoes. Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 04-12-2022, 09:51 PM   #12
HemiDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
These guys KNOW what they're doing, obvious by their revealing picture process. Send them your drum! Click the link BELOW for pictures. Coop

https://www.jgrelining.com/photos

I have called J&G Brake Drum Relining, and questioned them on
the need to remove the hub, and the reply was they just wanted to do it and charge a additional 45.00 plus new studs and bearings.

These drums are very shallow and it just seems unnecessary to me, to remove the hub and swagged studs.

I imagine they would turn down the scored surface and insert a new liner and turn that to the standard 12" diameter and they would need the hub intact to do that.

I was a Wagner Brake factory rep for 25 years and have a good stock of #29 asbestos lined brake shoes, and understand the importance of arcing shoes to the drums.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:46 AM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDeuce View Post
I have called J&G Brake Drum Relining, and questioned them on
the need to remove the hub, and the reply was they just wanted to do it and charge a additional 45.00 plus new studs and bearings.

These drums are very shallow and it just seems unnecessary to me, to remove the hub and swagged studs.

Like you, I'm not sure that I understand the need to de-mount the hub either. It MAY have something to do with a holding fixture used in the process of sizing for the new liner, or possibly even the install process of the new liner. Whatever the reason, these guys are about the only game going in town if a new liner is what you need. Good idea from above to let J & G 'ARC' your shoes to the new liner. Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 04-13-2022, 01:09 AM   #14
Fred A

HemiDuce still didn't clear up the question of whether it is a front or a rear drum. Now it is only curiosity and beginning to read like a description of a '41 front, which would explain the "usable ones are impossible to find." '41 fronts are fairly so described, but some poor guy going through the same difficulty with a more common drum would worthy of an intervention. Often questions that are fairly posed are seen as a criticism by those unaware of the complexity. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #15
larrys40

I would Absolutely NOT let them remove the drum. Especially for sake of replacing studs just because unless there is a bad stud. They can be turned in tact as all of the early ford drums.
I press new cast iron drums on Model A’s and turn them and flathead v8’s all the time and as hard as they are to come by would not even entertain it. I’m sure they do know brakes but modern brake places don’t always understand the complexities of the old parts. And the liability will be on you not them. Just ask them . I’m sure they will not accept replacing them if they crack them in swedging new studs. They’ll just say sorry we can’t get them.

For some new Lincoln parts try Boos Herrel . I use to service a bunch of v12’s for a guy and obtained many parts from them . Worth a call anyway. You will probably have to leave a msg and they will get back.
Larry

Last edited by larrys40; 04-13-2022 at 08:08 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #16
HemiDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
HemiDuce still didn't clear up the question of whether it is a front or a rear drum. Now it is only curiosity and beginning to read like a description of a '41 front, which would explain the "usable ones are impossible to find." '41 fronts are fairly so described, but some poor guy going through the same difficulty with a more common drum would worthy of an intervention. Often questions that are fairly posed are seen as a criticism by those unaware of the complexity. Good Luck: Fred A
The Brake Drum the I need relined is a original Front Drum.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:22 AM   #17
IanJayLights

I didn’t realize anyone was doing this and have a few lincoln drums that are oversized. What did they quote you as price for the relining?
IanJayLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Hey HemiDeuce, not trying to get into your business, but thought to bring something else up.

What is the oversize on the drum for the other side? Has it already been turned quite a bit?

I would want both of my drums to have a very similar thickness and actually would like the friction surfaces to be made from the same material. Why . . . because if they are the same (both relined), it would seem to me that you stand the best chance of having even braking, ever wear and similar changes under heavier braking (and heat) conditions.

Also, one has to ponder how long folks like this are going to even be in business - if you think you may need to get the "other one done some day" . . . it may be smart to make that day today

Just something to think about . . . I'd surely want the 'pair' to be the same.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:05 PM   #19
J Franklin

Ditto on what Bored&Stroked said for sure.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:52 PM   #20
HemiDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey HemiDeuce, not trying to get into your business, but thought to bring something else up.

What is the oversize on the drum for the other side? Has it already been turned quite a bit?

I would want both of my drums to have a very similar thickness and actually would like the friction surfaces to be made from the same material. Why . . . because if they are the same (both relined), it would seem to me that you stand the best chance of having even braking, ever wear and similar changes under heavier braking (and heat) conditions.

Also, one has to ponder how long folks like this are going to even be in business - if you think you may need to get the "other one done some day" . . . it may be smart to make that day today

Just something to think about . . . I'd surely want the 'pair' to be the same.
The other drum is standard size, exactly 12" ID. as measured with a brake drum micrometer.
Thanks for all your help.
Keith