Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
oldford2

Default getting the 46 ready for touring

Our 46 is up on jack stands getting ready for the Fordbarn New England tour and then to Nova Scotia. Starts Friday at Hemmings in Bennington, VT and then north thru 3 covered bridges and first stop at Ol Ron's shop. We spin off at noon and head east for NS so I will miss the Ol Ron's stop.
Greased, changed the oil and filter, packed the wheel bearings
Checked all the fluids: battery, tranny, rear end, M/C, radiator, filled MMO injector. Oiled the gen and fan assembly
Spare parts include: coil, condensor, distributor, cap, rotor, set of plugs, fuel pump, water pump belt, inner tube, carb, voltage regulator, headlight (don't plan any night driving), qt oil, 2 qts MMO, jug of water, electrical tape, duct tape, booster cables and tow rope in case we see a Chevy broke down, and plenty of tools, fire ext.
What am I missing??
Maybe I will have to limit the wife's luggage. Also have the EFV8 roster book for members along the way.
1800 mile round trip. A piece of cake for Cecil WV or GM but an adventure for us.
John
J

Last edited by oldford2; 07-10-2010 at 04:50 AM.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: getting the 46 ready for touring

I like to carry a 2-3' jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
bonesy

Don't forget the camera - please post some pictures when you get back.

Have fun.
bonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
MN47Ford

Nice looking ride. Sounds like you carry most everything I do plus more. Only item I usually have is a fire extinguisher (put out those burning Chevys) and a good flashlight. Have a great trip!
MN47Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
41ford1

This old girl is going on the tour too. See you in Bennington. Doing the same stuff, grease oil change and she's good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01593.jpg (81.3 KB, 9 views)
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
Brian

Don't, whatever you do, limit the wifes baggage! Happy wife- happy life. Most women can cram everything-even the kitchen sink into their handbag alone. Get her to pack a whole dis-assembled car into your trunk in case of troubles on the road.
Seriously, it sounds like you've got all bases covered. Really I think it depends on how well you know your car. You've got a big roomy car, so can afford to cram in some spares in case of trouble. The only tools I ever carry in my 35 are a crank handle, jack, 1/2" r&oe, screwdriver, 6" shifta. Occassionally, on a long trip,depending on how I 'feel', I might pack a spare can of gas, torch, dissy cap. Never anything else.
I know my car to be every bit as good, no scrub that; Better than a brand new car. I take absolutely no spare parts with me in a new car, the bloody thing is too technical [computerised] for me to be able to fix at the side of the road. I know intimately, every nut and bolt in my old Ford, we almost are able to talk to each other. I can't explain it, but I will know if it's got an issue, and remedy it immediately.
This is straight up; my car has broken down several times over the last 35 years we've been together- it has never done so further away than a block from home. Ever!
The best thing any of us can ever do for our old Fords is to drive 'em like Henry intended. Daily, or at least regular driving reveals any maladies they have, rather than parking them up for months on end and then expecting reliability.
Have a fantastic trip in your old Ford, I sincerely believe you'll not have to use any of those parts you take along for the ride. Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
39portlander

John, Make sure the wipers work and blades are good. This morning's weather channel for so/central Maine has alotta Tstorms most of next week. Monday looked like the only shower free day. Have a safe one
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
chuck stevens

Default Re: getting the 46- 47 ready for touring

I'm doing the same thing, I went so far as to change out the diff. gear oil.
I'm packing an exrta fan belt, oil, and a gallon of water. With all the extra parts we could restore another car! We are getting close, this is going to be a blast, Chuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47 ford 7 flowers 012.jpg (107.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 47 ford 7 flowers 017.jpg (72.7 KB, 8 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote