Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2023, 06:54 PM   #1
34fordy

Default Lookie Lookie Tubman Denny

Just saw this on FB but do not know how to attach so I took a picture! Suppose you could find one you liked?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.7 KB, 261 views)
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:01 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Lookie Lookie Tubman Denny

Surprisingly, no. I am (in the terminology of our "down-under" friends), a "twin spinner" guy. I have only owned '51 models. The '49 Fords had a number of serious defects; remember, Ford's advertising tag line the next year was "The 1950 Ford, better in 50 ways!"
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:37 PM   #3
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Surprisingly, no. I am (in the terminology of our "down-under" friends), a "twin spinner" guy. I have only owned '51 models. The '49 Fords had a number of serious defects; remember, Ford's advertising tag line the next year was "The 1950 Ford, better in 50 ways!"
Could, or would you enlighten me on the "defects". I was aware that the 49 models were not as stylish IMHO but was wondering if the new engine had some bugs still to be ironed out. Being mostly a 30's guy I do not know what the "twin spinner" means. I was at Des Moines, Iowa yesterday for the annual Concours de Elegance car show. Among the examples was a post war Kaiser Fraser. Boy, you want to see frumpy, it takes the cake! I can remember when we had a few of those in Fort Dodge. Possibly folks were so "hungry" to by cars after the war that just about anything would sell.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:58 PM   #4
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
Could, or would you enlighten me on the "defects". I was aware that the 49 models were not as stylish IMHO but was wondering if the new engine had some bugs still to be ironed out. Being mostly a 30's guy I do not know what the "twin spinner" means. I was at Des Moines, Iowa yesterday for the annual Concours de Elegance car show. Among the examples was a post war Kaiser Fraser. Boy, you want to see frumpy, it takes the cake! I can remember when we had a few of those in Fort Dodge. Possibly folks were so "hungry" to by cars after the war that just about anything would sell.
I’ll take a stab at answering that. ‘49 being a first year release, as usually happens, problems surfaced to be corrected the following years. Major problem was front suspension in my opinion.
Twin spinners refers to the double grille bullets in ‘51.
If I recall correctly, Kaiser partnered with Fraser, the result being a Kaiser, and the upgrade Fraser. I don’t think there was a model that bore both names.

Last edited by ford38v8; 09-11-2023 at 09:01 PM. Reason: I hate auto-correct. Stupid phone thinks it knows better.
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:01 AM   #5
Newc

'49 door latches for one. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:50 AM   #6
tubman

In addition to the front suspension and the door latches, a third problem was the upholstery. It would start to fall apart upon delivery. If Ford itself admitted it in their advertising, it had to b e serious.

Joe Frazer was a long-time automobile executive who partnered with Henry J. Kaiser of steel and shipbuilding fame after WWII to fill a serious shortage of new automobiles. The new cars had the venerable Continental 6 cylinder engines and styling best described as "stodgy". They introduced restyled cars in 1951, which were quite attractive, but the lack of a V8 engine doomed the breed. In 1955, they introduced a facelift, with quite an attractive grille and offered a supercharger option for the old 6 banger, but it was too little, too late. The tooling went to Argentina, where the cars were produced until the early sixties.

In 1950, they introduced a small, economy car called the "Henry J". They came with your choice of a four or six cylinder engines, which were removed in the sixties when they were all converted to "Gassers". A friend in high school had one (a six), and it was an OK car. Parts were never a problem for him because virtually everything on them was available from the Sears catalog. This was because Kaiser/Frazer made a deal with Sears, who sold the car through their catalogs, branded as an "Allstate".
Old 09-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
In 1950, they introduced a small, economy car called the "Henry J". This was because Kaiser/Frazer made a deal with Sears, who sold the car through their catalogs, branded as an "Allstate".

And here they are!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:00 PM   #8
sidevalve8ba

What was the problem with the front suspension? I had a '49 a number of years ago and the suspension on it was fine.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:03 PM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
What was the problem with the front suspension? I had a '49 a number of years ago and the suspension on it was fine.
You’ve heard the term “Death Wobble”?
Old 09-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
By the time you got it, it was probably updated with the later improved parts.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:49 PM   #11
sidevalve8ba

I had an old Jeep that had death wobble until I rebuilt the steering linkage but I put a good many miles on that '49 and never had a twitch of wobble with it. Luck maybe?

That is very possible, Tubman.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:06 AM   #12
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
The 50 was without a doubt better than the 49 as many problems were "ironed out" but the look of the 49 is cleaner in my opinion. Going inside the cabin, the 50 steering wheel horn ring combination is really nice, but both "single spinner" cars and the "twin spinner" are very cool indeed. Bet there was no "fire" on that boat load of new cars.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:41 AM   #13
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
The 50 was without a doubt better than the 49 as many problems were "ironed out" but the look of the 49 is cleaner in my opinion. Going inside the cabin, the 50 steering wheel horn ring combination is really nice, but both "single spinner" cars and the "twin spinner" are very cool indeed. Bet there was no "fire" on that boat load of new cars.

GB
This was the start of the "add some gobbledygook" period for second year body styles. All car manufacturers did it, taking a good basic style and adding junk to it for subsequent years. Sorry, Tubman, I think the '51 is a prime example of that practice. Ford got it right for the "53, though, much cleaner than either the '52 or the '54.
The worst trashing of a classic car design, in my opinion, was what Studebaker did to the Raymond Loewy design for the '53 in years following.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:33 AM   #14
glennpm

"And here they are!

Coop"

Great pictures Dick! A friend from high school had one that his grandmother gave him. It was a nice little car with good styling. Ditto for the 53 Studebaker.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 02:03 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Does anyone know FOR CERTAIN, just how the logistics of delivery worked if you bought (ordered) an ALLSTATE at your local Sears Roebuck store? Surely there was NOT a lot full of the 'destined-to-be' little gassers out behind every Sears store to choose from.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote