Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2022, 04:29 PM   #41
jimvette59

Default Re: Wa State, Nice & Legal

I hear Ohio is very difficult . No YOM plates I herd they do not recognize a NY Registration.
jimvette59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #42
GB SISSON

I just learned that there was no 1946 plates issued in Wa. A 45 was used along with a windshield sticker. It took a bit of searching but I found that Wa will do YOM license using a 1947 plate. I hope this person was right. I got her name and will ask for her at our very small DMV in the auditors office in Friday Harbor, which is on a different island, an hour away. I transfered the title 5 years ago, so that fee is forgotten by me!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #43
Cleveland39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax40 View Post
Wow, collector or historical plate registration is free in GA. You just pay for your standard tag and registration and fill out a form and bring the tag in and they will associate it to your registration. The tag on my '40 has a bullet hole and they didn't complain, they just thought it was funny.
Agreed, Zax40. This is my historical plate for my '39 Sedan. $20 for the current tag registration and no ad valorem tax due to age of car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Historical tag.JPG (303.4 KB, 5 views)
Cleveland39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:15 PM   #44
5851a

Iowa They keep changing the rules and it's hard to have all your ducks in a row sometimes. My local County office has gotten a lot better over the years. I did see YOM on the Iowa site but couldn't follow the trail into the dark side of government departments. Basically here nothing under $50 unless you owned since God laid the egg and you kept it current. Just example, Wifes car has In God we trust on the plate, cost extra $50 plus extra $5 every year. After several years we are told we have to get a new plate, in the mail no less, comes a regular plate. Go to the courthouse and ask what's up with regular plate? Have to buy new In God we trust for another $55 plus of course the regular fees. This round of plates in Iowa are so hideous that the hired designer left in tears, and the state quickly issued a flat black with white lettering for an extra $50. Sorry for the rant.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #45
johnboy34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I just learned that there was no 1946 plates issued in Wa. A 45 was used along with a windshield sticker. It took a bit of searching but I found that Wa will do YOM license using a 1947 plate. I hope this person was right. I got her name and will ask for her at our very small DMV in the auditors office in Friday Harbor, which is on a different island, an hour away. I transfered the title 5 years ago, so that fee is forgotten by me!
None for passenger cars, could get them for trucks. pretty spendy today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39394098935...sAAOSwlnNiDZDi
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #46
Lawson Cox

The law doesn't sleep. Right. Only the Judges do that. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:18 AM   #47
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy34 View Post
None for passenger cars, could get them for trucks. pretty spendy today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39394098935...sAAOSwlnNiDZDi
Holy Crap, more than I paid for the engineless, bedless truck!
They assured me I could use a 47 car plate, but I'm gonna send them a pic of this plate to the email address she gave me, before I take a day off and a ferry ticket to the county seat.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #48
B-O-B

Ha when I lived in Ore I only had to pay $45.00 ea (one time fee)to register the forever plates on my 34 & 32. I am still running the 34 with the Ore plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 031 (2).jpg (47.8 KB, 12 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:26 AM   #49
GB SISSON

Well here I am at 10:20 on the eve of goint to Anacortes on the very early morning ferry. Alarm set for 4:35 am....I have a cardiologist appt there. They have a DMV there I have used many times in the past. I called them today and said I was bringing my title to a 46 PU and wanted to be sure a 47 plate was correct. I bought one based on the gal in Friday Harbor's conversation. NO, they say in Anacortes it has to be a 1945.... seriously? So I go to ebay and buy one for 59 bucks or so hoping I can pick it up in person tomorrow. Ebay seller calls me and says I will need a 46 truck plate for umteen big bucks... How on earth do I ever really know? Each DMV interprets it how they see it. At this point I guess I will bring the 47 I bought specifically for this purpose and try my best. Both places say there were no 46 plates made but the license plate man says they Did make them for truck$. And yes they did. I will be over there tomorrow and anybody that can shed some light I would be happy to hear. My cell is three six 0, three one seven, eight zero five one. Thanks, GB
Old 06-09-2022, 01:46 AM   #50
tomcarman

Quote:
Well here I am at 10:20 on the eve of goint to Anacortes on the very early morning ferry. Alarm set for 4:35 am....I have a cardiologist appt there. They have a DMV there I have used many times in the past. I called them today and said I was bringing my title to a 46 PU and wanted to be sure a 47 plate was correct. I bought one based on the gal in Friday Harbor's conversation. NO, they say in Anacortes it has to be a 1945.... seriously? So I go to ebay and buy one for 59 bucks or so hoping I can pick it up in person tomorrow. Ebay seller calls me and says I will need a 46 truck plate for umteen big bucks... How on earth do I ever really know? Each DMV interprets it how they see it. At this point I guess I will bring the 47 I bought specifically for this purpose and try my best. Both places say there were no 46 plates made but the license plate man says they Did make them for truck$. And yes they did. I will be over there tomorrow and anybody that can shed some light I would be happy to hear. My cell is three six 0, three one seven, eight zero five one. Thanks, GB
Gary,
If it doesn't work let me know via PM. Just woke up after nodding off in the recliner and saw your post. I have a personal friend who owns as DMV licensing agency in Chehalis and she'll definitely give you the straight dirt. I'll get in touch with her tomorrow.
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:42 PM   #51
tomcarman

Gary,
Curious how the YOM plate went. My friend who owns the DMV licensing office said if you have clear title a '47 plate will work on a '46. Not sure about the truck thing unless ebay guy is splitting hairs or looking to cash in?
Old 06-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #52
GB SISSON

I have dealt with same gal in Anacortes for 20 years. She told me today I really need a '45 car plate and the '46 truck plate would of course work and it would look cool on the truck but not 330 bucks cooler. Turns out the ebay seller had mailed the '45 car plate this morning so all is good. I don't think he was pushing for a sale, it really was a cool low number unrestored plate that I would love to have if I was in that league......Best part is I still got to license my '46 tonner but with a hideous 'collector vehicle' plate which will come in the mail in July so they gave me a paper temporary 'plate' and when I find a '45 car plate I can swap it over for a small fee. Sooo, I guess I won't ever have to hang the Washington collector plate which is light blue and white with a silouette of Mt Ranier and the digits aren't even stamped, just printed on. Ick. Yay Happy ending.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:20 PM   #53
tomcarman

Interesting break down of events. You're right in interpretation of laws by varying DMV offices. My friend would have licensed your truck with a '47 plate, providing it was an original YOM plate that had been restored per WA state regs(blah blah blah) as I had done with my '47 Chrysler. I agree the collector plates are butt ugly on a patina vehicle but on the other hand a restored YOM plate on a cherried out classic looks equally out of place. I suppose yuz takes what yuz gets and move on. Glad you're legal now.
Tom
Old 06-09-2022, 10:36 PM   #54
expavr

Quote:
Gary
You make reference to DMV. Here in Kitsap County the only licensing done by the state of WA is Driver’s Licenses. Registration, titles, etc is done by a private company acting on behalf of the state. My experience licensing my collector cars as well as annual renewals for the daily drivers has been a pleasure compared to that in CA. When I licensed the Tonner using a 1940 YOM plate the only thing that they checked was to see if it was a “clean” plate. No other questions asked.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:09 PM   #55
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
Gary
You make reference to DMV. Here in Kitsap County the only licensing done by the state of WA is Driver’s Licenses. Registration, titles, etc is done by a private company acting on behalf of the state. My experience licensing my collector cars as well as annual renewals for the daily drivers has been a pleasure compared to that in CA. When I licensed the Tonner using a 1940 YOM plate the only thing that they checked was to see if it was a “clean” plate. No other questions asked.
Les Williams
Les,
You are absolutely correct. Drivers Licenses are administered by the State but titles, registration and such are done by contracted companies such as my friend who owns one. The part I don't get is they want a '45 plate to license a '46 when it has been my understanding that US auto production didn't resume until '46. Maybe I'm ignorant on that? I also feel comfortable driving knowing I'm legal as likely like you I live in a rural area where Laws are still enforced. Off topic but a bit related no one's doing much driving around here as yet again the rainstorms continue. Sure hope some of that global warming kicks in soon! LOL!
Old 06-10-2022, 10:47 AM   #56
Pech33

You should have gotten a phony “bill of sale” for $500. You paid about 10% sales tax on $3,000. You could have saved $250. Our governor is quick to tax and spend. We have no “rainy day fund”. They had several billion $ extra this year from “free Covid $”, they spent it all. Don’t be surprised if they make us pay yearly fees in the future, they need money for free needles! The governor is a moron.
Pech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #57
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pech33 View Post
You should have gotten a phony “bill of sale” for $500. You paid about 10% sales tax on $3,000. You could have saved $250. Our governor is quick to tax and spend. We have no “rainy day fund”. They had several billion $ extra this year from “free Covid $”, they spent it all. Don’t be surprised if they make us pay yearly fees in the future, they need money for free needles! The governor is a moron.
Whoa! Dangerous legal advice and political commentary in the same post? Be Careful!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #58
Doublepumper

I have a YOM Washington plate on my '46 pickup. It's my understanding, Washington only issued a single plate for trucks in '46 and cars got a window sticker.
Oregon only issued a single plate for both cars and trucks in '46.
The '46 Washington truck plates are scarce...and spendy when you find one. There may be one available from the restorer that did mine...The Old License Farm.
https://oldlicensefarm.com/
Old 06-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #59
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublepumper View Post
I have a YOM Washington plate on my '46 pickup. It's my understanding, Washington only issued a single plate for trucks in '46 and cars got a window sticker.
Oregon only issued a single plate for both cars and trucks in '46.
The '46 Washington truck plates are scarce...and spendy when you find one. There may be one available from the restorer that did mine...The Old License Farm.
https://oldlicensefarm.com/
Yes, I priced a very nice '46 truck plate, but at 400.00 and my licensing agent says the 59.00 '45 car plate works, I'm going that route. Keep in mind I'm the cheapskate that hones my kingpins with my wife's wooden spoon, slotted to accept a strip of discarded sanding belt. While I'm a Washington native, I was raised by a couple of New England Yankees who taught me their old motto... 'Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without'.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:10 PM   #60
bobH

Quote:
...... raised by a couple of New England Yankees who taught me their old motto... 'Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without'.
Amen. I'm still in what is apparently the past.... Plates found in old antique shops, for 25 or 35 bucks, are more my style. And, I sure as heck don't have them restored. Run 'em with bullet holes & rust, if necessary.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote