Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2023, 08:01 PM   #1
shew01

Default Focused Beam LED Headlights

Wow. These “just worked.” No hassle with running a separate ground wire. No flakey stuff going on when the engine is running. This was a good purchase.

https://www.brattons.com/FOCUSED-BEA...uctinfo/17996/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:50 AM   #2
old31

Default Re: Focused Beam LED Headlights

Thanks, that's good to know. Nice when a plan comes together.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:47 AM   #3
ndnchf

I love them - plug and play!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220702_052539_copy_1008x567.jpg (43.8 KB, 40 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:11 AM   #4
David in San Antonio

One of the first things I did when I got The Wretched Roadster was install these, LED taillights, and LED bulbs in the cowl lights. These headlights work perfectly. The light is as bright as a modern unit, and the pattern is well defined so it doesn’t dazzle oncoming drivers. The high beams aim higher than the low beams. The LED circuitry draws so little current that the ammeter barely moves when the lights are switched on. I especially appreciate that it’s a completely self-contained optical system. It does not involve the reflectors, and does not require focusing. After a few weeks one stopped working. I called Snyder’s, returned it, and they shipped me a new one. Works fine.
The LED taillight panels (not replacement bulbs) are excellent. Makes the car so much more visible from the rear. As expected, the turn signal flasher didn’t work because the current draw was so low, so I wired in the recommended resistors. Still didn’t flash until I went back to regular incandescent bulbs in the cowl lights. Now the turn signals work but the speed of the flashing is not steady. After a short initial delay they blink quickly, then pause for a beat, then slowly, then faster again. I imagine an electronic flasher could be programmed to work consistently rather than the standard thermal unit.
Reminds me of the joke about the guy who was asked if the turn signals worked. He said Yes. No. Yes. No.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
alexiskai

There was a presentation at MARC National this year in which the presenter argued that the headlight luminaires (a luminaire is a self-contained lighting unit) are too heavy – he said the mounting hardware is designed for bulbs that weigh almost nothing, and that over time the luminaires will cause the fixture to sag and deform. I don't have an opinion on it myself but it's worth looking out for.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #6
Keith True

The socket is still supported in the rear by the focusing screw,so In real life I can't imagine that becoming a problem.Sounds like armchair theory.With anything new or different there will always be people coming up with far fetched notions to put the new idea down.When I see a parade of sockets and reflectors dropping out from those bulbs over the next few years I will change my mind.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote