Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #61
Troublemaker427

Default Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Can anyone tell me where the large passenger car style E-code air cleaner is being reproduced?
Troublemaker427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #62
Oldmics
BANNED

Jody

There have been two runs of the "E" code reproduction air cleaners.

One run in the seventys and the other one in the early 2Ks.

The run was for both round T Bird styles and also passenger cars. Most were T Birds however.

There was also a small run of the ovals in the mid 90s.

Pretty much all of the air cleaners have been sucked up.

The repros sell for only a few bucks less than the originals and either originals or repros are very difficult to find.

There is an original passenger car unit currently on eBay for 2K.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-FORD-3...53.m1438.l2649

I know the seller and he is not going to offer it at any less.It will eventually sell for his price!

Its a tough "pony up" world with the "E" stuff.

Deals can be ocassionally had if watching the auction sites like a hawk but who has time for that.

I"ll keep an eye out for you and contact you if I find something reasonable.

Oldmics (Your favorite Merc wagon guy)

Last edited by Oldmics; 12-01-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #63
scicala

"Now to add to the confusion, MERC decided to not use the HOLLEY 4000 for the 56 model run (312 4V) and used the WCFB instead (what did they use for a distributor?). I have several shots of M 260 installs that show CARTER carbs. FORD used 4000's."

As Oldmics said the Holley 4000 was the only carb supplied with the factory 2x4 kit. I have no idea which Carter WCFB'S some racers switched to, but the '56 Merc's that came with single WCFB's were set up with spark valves and the correct vacuum signal for the Loadomatic distributor. It was a one year only thing for Merc's and also had vacuum secondaries which is a pretty rare thing with WCFB's.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #64
Oldmics
BANNED

2361S was the Carter carb # for the 56 Merc.

Yep,spark valve equipted for that wonderful LOAD "O" MATIC

Oldmics
Old 12-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #65
Alaska Jim

I find all this information very informative and interesting. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.-------Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #66
KULTULZ

Talking Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

"Now to add to the confusion, MERC decided to not use the HOLLEY 4000 for the 56 model run (312 4V) and used the WCFB instead (what did they use for a distributor?). I have several shots of M 260 installs that show CARTER carbs. FORD used 4000's."

As Oldmics said the Holley 4000 was the only carb supplied with the factory 2x4 kit. I have no idea which Carter WCFB'S some racers switched to, but the '56 Merc's that came with single WCFB's were set up with spark valves and the correct vacuum signal for the Loadomatic distributor. It was a one year only thing for Merc's and also had vacuum secondaries which is a pretty rare thing with WCFB's.

Sal
MERC seemed to go with the WCFB 4V towards the end of the 1956 production run (and I would love to know why) as HP increased (see first att). LINC-MERC seemed to prefer the CARTER throughout this and MEL production.

As for the MERC ONLY M 260 OPTIONAL ENGINE KIT MGK-66005-AA-

The Product Letter Release refers to it's being released to upgrade the STD 312 (with HP rating and no time of production year given) to the SPECS of THE M 260 OPTIONAL ENGINE. This infers to me that there was either an actual RPO M 260 ENGINE (MERC) or previous kit release(s).

Obviously all documentation has not been discovered/verified.

The MGK-66005-AA KIT contents are shown below. The kit contents show two separate identical air cleaners (ECZ 9600-L).

But there was another kit released (it also had 4000's) had one large air cleaner and I have also come across a reference as to where a limited production kit (50) was released with WCFB's.

So stay tuned to this BAT CHANNEL at no particular BAT TIME
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 MERC- M 260 ENGINE _1C.jpg (104.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 MERC- M 260 Engine _4.jpg (107.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 MERC 312 - M-260 Kit _1A.jpg (21.4 KB, 200 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-01-2017 at 07:58 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #67
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post

2361S was the Carter carb # for the 56 Merc.

Yep,spark valve equipted for that wonderful LOAD "O" MATIC

Oldmics

Received, acknowledged and filed...

...and 2361SA (M-O-M).

THANX! ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 12-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #68
Oldmics
BANNED

Kultulz says

"MERC seemed to go with the WCFB 4V towards the end of the 1956 production run (and I would love to know why) as HP increased (see first att). LINC-MERC seemed to prefer the CARTER throughout this and MEL production."

I have no information regarding when the Carter carbs were instituted on Mercury engines BUT I believe it was at the introduction of the 1956 model year.

Based upon my own empirical research I have discovered that the 1956 Mercury engines using the Carter carb all came from the St Louis Mercury assembly plant.

Odd coincidence that the Carter Carburator manufacturing plant was in the same town ?

I believe Carter offered Mercury a SWEET introductory deal to get the business away from Holley.

Local home town production facilitys of both manufactors in St Louis would reduce shipping costs to the automaker and Merc could test run Carter to ascertain if they would be a contender for supplying the Mercury business demands.

Its hard to say if that business stratgy worked.

Merc then used both Carter and Holley for the 57 model year,used Holley exclusivly for 1958 and then split between Carter and Holley for 1959.

While Ford/Mercury may have been a feather in the cap for Carter company,Carter was still supplying many other auto manufactors with their units.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Now onto that elusive Race Kit

There were actually 3 kits availiable

The discussed Mercury M 260 Kit - MGK-66005-AA

The Ford Power Pack Kit B6A-9000-B K3 for Standard or overdrive transmission on Ford passenger cars

AND

The Ford Power Pack Kit B6A-9000-B K4 for Standard or overdrive transmission on Ford Thunderbird.

The K4 kit exclusively supplied the necessary T Bird parts including the oval air cleaner.

With only a grand total of 100 of both the K3 and K4 kits being produced, one can understand the rareity (and the pricing) of the oval air cleaners.

The picture of the kit above showing the single large Purolator air cleaner
is the kit that I owned. That is the B6A-9000-B K3 .

It is NOT the Mercury kit.

I am aware of the tale of the 50 kits produced using Carter carbs and it may be true HOWEVER NO DOCUMENTATION OF THAT EXISTS !

I have the RPO list for the Ford kits,more factory documentation than anyone else that I have encountered on the Merc M 260 setup and all of my analysis and breakdowns from the acqusition of the Ford 260 kit.

Is it everything that was ever produced ???? Who"s too say ???

It is quite a bit of information. Kultulz you have asked what it will cost to acquire that information.

I will gladly share it with you. It would be a fun meeting of the minds.

Oldmics

Last edited by Oldmics; 12-02-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #69
Oldmics
BANNED

The forementioned "Production Release Letter" would have been dated no earlier than 3-30-56.

Mercury Service Bulletin speced that info in Number 36 on that date.

That cam change mentioned in that Bulletin is not the M 260 cam.

I have all of that M 260 Cam info also (2 different bumpsticks)

Oldmics
Old 12-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #70
KULTULZ

Talking Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
You had better be careful. You would most likely have to pull my trembling hands from the steering wheel of that 57 MERC. I am very emotional you know...

It would be interesting to meet. Do you live in BAL or the outskirts?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #71
KULTULZ

Post Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Alaska Jim...

On a facebook Thunderbird page I remember an E-code owner asking for help locating replacement filter elements. Not sure what he ended up using, apparently they are almost as difficult to find as the housing. Just something else to consider....
Dennis

<edit>
Filter elements -
I found the original fb post and copied 3 (unverified) comments below from other folks.

"The Ford specs for these elements are: 5 9/16" ID, 7 1/16" OD, 2 1/8" High with part number: B7A-9601-F ... but no one seems to have anymore.

An alternate might be FRAM's 42148 measuring 5 1/16" ID, 6 7/8" OD, 2.150 High. Not the exact size, but possibly close enough to work. At $7 from rockauto I'd give it a try."

http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/fram/ca130pl.html

"here's a link to the K&N filter Brian mentioned"
https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=e-3320
Height 1.75 in
Inside Diameter 5.25 in
Outside Diameter 6.25 in
Maybe this will help also- http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7059.0

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #72
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

Not 100 % sure about that one. The chart shows the '56 312 P code with 2x4 carbs as 225 HP. That's the same HP that the single 4 barrel 312 had in '56. The picture appears to have the Edelbrock 2x4 intake (as used on the M260 kit) possibly, since the vacuum for the power brakes is in the center of the intake. The '57 2x4 intake wasn't tapped for vacuum. would be interesting to know the carb numbers. Probably the same as the M260 carbs.

Sal
Yeah, the chart is not accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FYB -1954-1957 Engine Specs _1.jpg (54.3 KB, 14 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #73
Oldmics
BANNED

Kultulz asks

"Do you live in BAL or the outskirts?"

I am outside of da hood in Glen Burnie.

Close to the Md - MVA

Oldmics
Old 12-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #74
KULTULZ

Quote:

Kultulz asks

"Do you live in BAL or the outskirts?"

I am outside of da hood in Glen Burnie.

Close to the Md - MVA

Oldmics
Know exactly where you are. I drove OTR out of Elkridge and went by you on the way to Federalsburg (Eastern Shore). I did live in Rockville but they finally chased me out...

Will PM you later tonight.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-03-2017, 03:14 AM   #75
KULTULZ

Quote:

Kultulz says

"MERC seemed to go with the WCFB 4V towards the end of the 1956 production run (and I would love to know why) as HP increased (see first att). LINC-MERC seemed to prefer the CARTER throughout this and MEL production."

I have no information regarding when the Carter carbs were instituted on Mercury engines BUT I believe it was at the introduction of the 1956 model year.

Based upon my own empirical research I have discovered that the 1956 Mercury engines using the Carter carb all came from the St Louis Mercury assembly plant.
OK, the kit I showed with the single round ACL was actually a FORD release. Did the FORD kit with the oval air cleaner come later?

Quote:
Now onto that elusive Race Kit

There were actually 3 kits availiable

The discussed Mercury M 260 Kit - MGK-66005-AA

The Ford Power Pack Kit B6A-9000-B K3 for Standard or overdrive transmission on Ford passenger cars

AND

The Ford Power Pack Kit B6A-9000-B K4 for Standard or overdrive transmission on Ford Thunderbird.

The K4 kit exclusively supplied the necessary T Bird parts including the oval air cleaner.

With only a grand total of 100 of both the K3 and K4 kits being produced, one can understand the rareity (and the pricing) of the oval air cleaners.

The picture of the kit above showing the single large Purolator air cleaner
is the kit that I owned. That is the B6A-9000-B K3 .

It is NOT the Mercury kit.

I am aware of the tale of the 50 kits produced using Carter carbs and it may be true HOWEVER NO DOCUMENTATION OF THAT EXISTS !

I have the RPO list for the Ford kits,more factory documentation than anyone else that I have encountered on the Merc M 260 setup and all of my analysis and breakdowns from the acqusition of the Ford 260 kit.

Is it everything that was ever produced ???? Who"s too say ???

It is quite a bit of information. Kultulz you have asked what it will cost to acquire that information.

Oldmics
...scribble...scribble...scribble...

I briefly glanced at a statement that there was also an engine dress kit available along with the kit for the 56 BIRD. Do you have any reference?

Have you, by any chance, thought of organizing and selling the info you have gathered? I know you are familiar with Joe Bunetic. He offered much elusive info on the 58 MERC MARAUDER 3X2.

You have certainly gathered the information. I would enjoy (and increase my knowledge) meeting you...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #76
slumlord44

Any suggestions for a filter element for the '57 Bird large round filter? I have been using a Fram filter for a GM Tri power for years. Bought a case many years ago but am running low. I tried K&N to see if they had one that would fit but they said they had nothing close. Would like a K&N if i could find an application that would work or be made to work. Suggestions?
slumlord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #77
slumlord44

Any ideas for a source for the element for the '57 Bird large round aircleaner? I have been using a supply of a GM tri power Fram filter that I bought many years ago. I tried K&N with no luck.
slumlord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:36 AM   #78
KULTULZ

Red face Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post

Any ideas for a source for the element for the '57 Bird large round air cleaner?
Your housing style is as below?

EDIT-

I found a repro but you ain't gonna like the price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Ford-P...-/263332251906

Quote:
This is an excellent reproduction of a long obsolete air filter element. B7A-9601G Used in the 1957 FORD with the dual quad setup on the 312 engine. (Twin 4 bbl carbs) NOT used on TBirds. The element is 17" in diameter and 3" deep. This is a quality reproduction with the correct screens, sealing material and element colors. Made in the USA.
Photo Added Below-

PARTS ID INFO-

B7A 9601-G

14.79" ID - 17.34 OD - 2.88" H

EDIT - CORRECTION

There were two elements issued for this 1957 E-CODE round ACL Housing, depending if installed on FORD or BIRD E-CODE-

FORD- B7A 9601-G - Dimensions Shown Above

BIRD- B7S 9601-B - Dimensions The Same Except For Height - 2.12in H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 312 E-CODE _2.jpg (42.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ACL- 1957 FORD - B7A 9601 G (Repro).jpg (35.9 KB, 4 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-09-2018 at 03:52 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 12-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #79
Oldmics
BANNED

Quote:
Any ideas for a source for the element for the '57 Bird large round aircleaner? I have been using a supply of a GM tri power Fram filter that I bought many years ago. I tried K&N with no luck.
Are we still discussing "E" code elements ?

Or the regular single 4 element ?

Both items are availiable from the local T Bird venders such as Hill"s.

Oldmics
Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #80
KULTULZ

Question Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:

Any suggestions for a filter element for the '57 Bird large round filter? I have been using a Fram filter for a GM Tri power for years. Bought a case many years ago but am running low. I tried K&N to see if they had one that would fit but they said they had nothing close. Would like a K&N if i could find an application that would work or be made to work. Suggestions?
Quote:

Quote:

Are we still discussing "E" code elements ?

Or the regular single 4 element ?

Both items are availiable from the local T Bird venders such as Hill"s.

Oldmics
...hmmpf...

Good Question...

I a$$-u-me(ed) he is asking 57 FORD E-CODE...

SUPPOSEDLY... ... starting another food fight ...

The large round E-CODE housing was released for FORD and the oval for BIRD in 1957 because (again supposedly) the large round interfered with hood closure on the BIRD. But I have seen numerous photos of the round on a BIRD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACL- GM 3 x 2.jpg (40.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MPC- 49-59 - 9600- Cleaner Asm- Car Air.jpg (78.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg MPC- 49-59- 9601 Air Filter Element.jpg (63.9 KB, 5 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-05-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: TO ADD VISUAL AIDES