Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
36tbird

Default strange visual

Just got back from SW Fla. When there I am always on the hunt for old Ford types and hot rodders that maybe I can hang out with to pass some of the time there. Anyway, I came across a house with a rat rod out front and in the open garage I could see a '40. I stopped and introduced myself but received the standard frosty response that I find pretty standard for folks down there. That did not deter me from trying to see the flathead in the '40. I was astonished to see that a first generation f/h was sitting in the thing, looked just like the '36 engine I have sitting in the corner of my garage. I got the impression that the young man watching over his uncle's garage did not have much knowledge on the old motors as I yammered about the unusual set up with no reaction from him. Oh well, would have liked to know the history of that engine swap.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: strange visual

I think you answered your own question when you identified them a as rat rodders.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
B-O-B

With all the stuff going missing today I would be VERY RELUCTANT to show any one I'm not familiar with or know what is in my garage. If I see someone cruising by & rubber necking I close the door. I'm not saying you are that kind of a person it's just the way the world is today. Hell they have videos of thieves following the UPS & FEDEX trucks around & retrieving the packages left by the drivers.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Sal

It really is kind of sad, when you think about how the world has become.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Lawrie

We are still lucky in the town we live in, Had a new neighbour move in next door the other month, he is from Brisbane,he was stunned to see me leave my roller doors open during the day, I told him that sometimes I forget and go upstairs and forget to shut up,
Well the next week I did just that,left it all open and keys in all the cars ,lights on all night,no worries.
I think living in a small community sure has its advantages
Also who would know how to start the model A or 33.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
Mike B

Your impression of a "rat rodder" please...?

The term is used was too loose these days, a well built hotrod, is easily coined as a Rat Rod.

NextQ...why did you feel you had the right to keep pushing it?

And, after the owners (I assume) said okay, you then have the spunk to say the kiod they sent yuo out there with, who most liokely knows nothing about anything...an you come here to tell all of that?

I don't care if you're 32, 52, or 72...your smuggness is just , well, ...I'll leave it at that.

After all, everybody should open their doors for you and have up to date info when asked?

I'm sure when I drive by your place, and see a nice little kettle on the table-as I view it through the window of your Kitchen-. I;'m sure you'll let me come right in, check the house out and know every detail in construction?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
johnh7

Wow! this site more and more reminds me of a bunch of little old ladies! A few of you love to constantly fuss about stuff! Who set you up to be your brothers keeper? Just let others have their say without all the bickering.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
JWL
Member Emeritus

Mike B makes some good points in a rather straight-forward way. What would make any of us feel like we are "entitled" to a tour and accurate description of another guy's stuff?
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
tdlmomowers

So, I'm out in the garage working one day. A minivan pulls into the driveway and a guy in a suit gets out, that I don't know. I ask him if I can help him with something ? He says, I hear that you do a lot of small engine repair work. I don't know why, but something didn't feel right about this dude in a suit. I told him that, yeah I work on some stuff for friends and family, but I don't run a business out of my home. He says, you sure do have a lot of tools for just a everyday person. Now I'm really getting a bad vibe from this guy. He's starting to really eyeball my garage and stuff. He asks me if I would like to do some work for him? I says, no, I'm too busy with other things I got to get done. Well he leaves and I see that his van has county issued plates on it, so now I really feel suspicious. I find out from a neighbor, later on that some old dude that lives on our street was fussing about, that hillbilly up the street running a garage in his neighborhood. Gee, I'm not even a real, hillbilly.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
B-O-B

Note to Johnh7:
If you don't care for us old ladys fussing & bickering (we are just one big happy family) just don't open the post,easy nuff for you!!.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
johnh7

B_O_B,

You are correct. It is easy.... and since you are a senior member and I am brand new, I will take your invitation to leave. I came to this site to share a hobby and learn from some who know more than I about flatheads. But since some do like to fuss like old ladies and you invite me to leave because I take exception to it. I will take your advice... bye

Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
B-O-B

Dear John7:
First off it is B-O-B not B_O_B but not a problem. I don't recall asking you to leave nor would I. I said if you don't like what is posted do not open the thread. read it ;
"If you don't care for us old ladys fussing & bickering (we are just one big happy family) just don't open the post,easy nuff for you!!. "
Stick around you get toughened up & maybe join in with some tips.
You should have tried the HAMB a few years ago . This site is like kindergarden compared to what that was. Things have improved here & over there thanks to all who particpate. Sit back open up a cool refreshment & relax
Old 12-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
johnh7

B-O-B,

Sorry about your name, I just kept my finger on the shift button. Toughen up? lets see, one year in Viet Nam with Marine Corps Recon, 29 years as police officer/detective, four years in Iraq investigating, arresting and prosecuting terrorists and you think I need to toughen up? It is not a lack of toughness, it is from all that action that I have learned not to tolerate the petty whining and bickering about things unimportant. The concerns here were of privacy and crime. Trust me I am well aware of both. But there is very little difference in contacting someone in a gas station or parking lot to comment on his/her car than contacting them in their front yard or doorway. I have done both. None of us were present at the event described and to assume what took place is ignorance. The comments made by the person who was there was based on much more than was written. To assume facts not in evidence and whine and complain about what was written is ignorance.

From now on, I will read and no longer comment or take part. The sissies that complain and bicker, I will ignore. I will contact those on this site privately that I deem recognizable for their knowledge/skill. Thanks for your repartee B-O-B.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Royal Ryser

John7, don't be leaving us just yet. You and 36bird both had some good points. So, let's forget the fuss and get on with fixing the cars. I invite your posts and comments. I have been helped by so many guys in so many ways that I know of the value of every comment and opinion.
None of us has to agree or take advice we don't want or agree with. Stick with the Fordbarn.
Royal
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh7 View Post
B-O-B,

Sorry about your name, I just kept my finger on the shift button. Toughen up? lets see, one year in Viet Nam with Marine Corps Recon, 29 years as police officer/detective, four years in Iraq investigating, arresting and prosecuting terrorists and you think I need to toughen up? It is not a lack of toughness, it is from all that action that I have learned not to tolerate the petty whining and bickering about things unimportant. The concerns here were of privacy and crime. Trust me I am well aware of both. But there is very little difference in contacting someone in a gas station or parking lot to comment on his/her car than contacting them in their front yard or doorway. I have done both. None of us were present at the event described and to assume what took place is ignorance. The comments made by the person who was there was based on much more than was written. To assume facts not in evidence and whine and complain about what was written is ignorance.

From now on, I will read and no longer comment or take part. The sissies that complain and bicker, I will ignore. I will contact those on this site privately that I deem recognizable for their knowledge/skill. Thanks for your repartee B-O-B.
johnh7, There isn't a whole lot of this type posts here. Stick around for the information on your vehicle and feel free to post. Most of all, after reading your resume, I thank you for your service and efforts in keeping peace and freedom in the world.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
ford38v8

Johnh7, You're a young man, where many if not most of us here are much older, which has advantages of personal experience for answers given, and disadvantages of being grouchy and opinionated. If you want the advice, you gotta put up with our petty bickering.

We are always on a quest for younger enthusiasts to join our love of the Ford flathead, and when we get some young interest, we drive them off with our grousing at each other. I'm not exempt from this assessment myself, having gone a few bouts with others here, but when someone steps over the line, we do have a great administrator in Ryan, who pulls our leash short and at times has been known to suspend offendors from posting.

Stay with us, John, to contribute your own advice and questions, and by the way, thank you for your service.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Mike B

Quote:
B-O-B,

From now on, I will read and no longer comment or take part. The sissies that complain and bicker, I will ignore. .
Seems you're the only one complaining here, and there was no bickering-just opinions-before you posted.

Kettle black?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Wow! this site more and more reminds me of a bunch of little old ladies! A few of you love to constantly fuss about stuff! Who set you up to be your brothers keeper? Just let others have their say without all the bickering.
johnh7:

It's your Quote!!!
Where we say thanks for your past service It must be noted that you Have come from a YES SIR / NO SIR life style.
You have 4 posts to date!
I have no idea how long you have been on the sideline watching.
But back it down a little get rid of the attitude & what you call
BICKERING is just BANTERING
There is a lot of info here and you will find that the Ford Flatheads will run quite well on other then
YES SIR /NO SIR type of answers.

I am sure there are other opinions,& This is my Honest Opinion.
So sit back enjoy & learn from those that can Honestly say,
"BEEN THERE DONE THAT"

P.S. Why is it some people love the neighborhood and the moment they move in they want to change it to what it is not ????
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
36tbird

Geez, sorry I started this firestorm. Let me throw some stuff out in answer to a few points made here.

I use the term "rat rod" probably too loosely. I call just about anything sporting flat black and/or rusty metal on purpose a "rat rod". My '36 pickup is well built, I think, but painted flat black so I term it as "rat rod". I think the term is many times used derogatorily and has become a very broad description.

I am 255 lbs, walk with a limp and have gray hair at 63. I don't think that I look threatening to anyone. I tried to introduce myself as a hot rodder and old car nut just to try and find out info about the local car scene.

The "frosty" response is what I have come to expect for this part of the world. One time in a hardware store there a guy asked me for some directions. I was standing in front of a display for maps and I pointed out to him the irony of his asking me for directions given that I was studying which map I should purchase. This guy thought it was also funny and he responded, "You're not from around here, are you?" I said, "No, why do you ask?" He told me that he knew that because I talked readily to him and struck up a conversation and he added, "People don't do that down here."

Another time before going to SW Fla. I e-mailed a guy on the HAMB from that area if I could come by to see him as I came to visit from Texas. His response was consistent with some on here, "I really don't care to have strangers at my garage."

I am a pretty cynical and suspicious type but I still let people prove to me first that they are non-trustworthy versus judging them at the outset when they come to my garage. But, as far as SW Fla, I'm done reaching out down there and from this discussion I damn sure will not try to talk to anyone in Oakdale on the other coast, either.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
johnh7

36tbird,

If you do come to the west coast you are welcome to stop by Orland. It is further up the central valley than Oakdale, but people here are friendly, non-judgmental and not full of snide comments.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
But, as far as SW Fla, I'm done reaching out down there and from this discussion I damn sure will not try to talk to anyone in Oakdale on the other coast, either.
Always a cold one in the fridge for anyone who pulls up in an old Ford

Even for our friends to the north
Old 12-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #22
Kahuna

Yep
Orland's cool, Oakdale sucks
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #23
Mike B

Someone don't like cowboys...feel free to step into the H-B next time in town and make that announcement
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
36tbird

In the future when I fly in somewhere for the holidays I will try to find an "old Ford" auto rental agency to use as an announcement of my interests. I do have a bucket list trip planned someday to drive Hwy 1 where I knew already that I would stop by and see Kahuna. Now I know I can stop by and see John in Orland, too.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
johnh7

36tbird,

I am a long way off of Hwy 1 and there is no convenient way here and back without taking you a day or two out of your way. I am in the central valley of California and you have to drive south or north of me to find a route to the coast. However I would be very happy to drive over to Hwy 1 to meet you. My wife loves Hwy 1 and Hwy 101. In addition, it will give me and excuse to take my 38 ford pickup for a drive to the coast. That is of course if you do that part of your bucket list in the next four years, because after that we will relocate to the area of Marshall, Texas.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
36tbird

We'll have to see. If this bucket list trip comes to fruition, it would be in the '36 roadster. I think I will get it on the road this year, it is close. So, I might make that west coast trip before you move.

You and I may stand a better chance meeting during the Canton market days (First Monday) after you move to Marshall. Or, if you venture down to the New Braunfel's swap meet, that might be an opportunity. Something to look forward to.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #27
jim1932

Kinda funny, after reading this far i was kinda put out about the first post, then went back and reread it. Other than commenting about a typically frosty response and gasp, mentioning a ratrod, I didn't find anything in the post other than regret not to find out more about the car. Did he bad mouth the person for not knowing more about the car? umm no, did he say he forced himself into the garage… umm no, just said he didn't walk away after the initial chilled response. People definitely read too much into a lot of these post based on their own sensitivities. Myself included, I was finding myself thinking worse and worse about the original post till I went back and read it.

We just need another Lagunitas(beer) and chill
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #28
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Kinda funny, after reading this far i was kinda put out about the first post, then went back and reread it. Other than commenting about a typically frosty response and gasp, mentioning a ratrod, I didn't find anything in the post other than regret not to find out more about the car. Did he bad mouth the person for not knowing more about the car? umm no, did he say he forced himself into the garage… umm no, just said he didn't walk away after the initial chilled response. People definitely read too much into a lot of these post based on their own sensitivities. Myself included, I was finding myself thinking worse and worse about the original post till I went back and read it.

All good, but Oakdale sucks, right..so does SW Fla...I mean it's written, must be true......even after a re-read
Old 12-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post

Here, here. A Censored Ale or Hop Stoopid for me! One of the few things I miss from living on the Left Coast.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
36tbird

Thank you, Jim'32. You summed up perfectly why I was so astonished at some of the responses I had to my thread. Sorry, Mike, but you earned your responses when you went off on me knee jerk style. I heard that the Oakdale chamber of commerce is withdrawing their nomination for you to be their "Ambassador of Welcome".

My theory of the early 21 stud in the '40 is that maybe it originally had a 60 in it and someone thought they would replace it with a "big flathead" not recognizing the differences or nuances of the flatmotors. The '40 was a 4 door. Does anyone know what the predominant body style was for '40's with 60's?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Here, here. A Censored Ale or Hop Stoopid for me! One of the few things I miss from living on the Left Coast.
I am getting it on the east coast so check around. Sumpin sumpin is my fav. Waiting for their next seasonal "Lagunitas Sucks". Any company that has the gonads to name one of their beers basically "we suck" gets my money

Looks like Montana, Minnesota and Wyoming have it…..road trip….

and road trips are a fordbarn friendly topic
Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Sorry, Mike, but you earned your responses when you went off on me knee jerk style. I heard that the Oakdale chamber of commerce is withdrawing their nomination for you to be their "Ambassador of Welcome".
It's all good...I still don't think my response warranted that the town sucks, kind of a broad brush to swipe...I can see saying "you suck Mike for your response" but not a whole community.

Still will keep one on ice for ya...no need to rent an old heap...just put a sticker on your rental car
Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #33
36tbird

Happy New Year, Lou