Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
john hamilton

Default shiny black manifold paint

Does anyone know of a SHINY black manifold paint? Most of them are flat black. Thanks.
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: shiny black manifold paint

I searched for just such a product a few months ago. Did not find one. I used a brush on stove black that I use on motorcycle cylinders. Real durable, and not totally flat, but far from gloss.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Gold Digger

I had a friend have his porcilenized. Probably not spelled right but you know what I'm talking about. Not sure where he had it done. He passed away a couple years ago or I would give him a call.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
mndodge

My dad sells a product called "KBS" and I have a flyer and I know they have high temp paint also and thought there was a gloss black, try doing a web search or pm me and I can pass along info to you. I think it is called KBS coatings.
Just went out in garage to look in book I have and they do have a jet black in high temp.

Last edited by mndodge; 08-08-2013 at 09:28 PM.
mndodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

You can get stove black at most hardware stores . Stove black is used on cast iron stoves and heaters. I use cast blast from Snyders, it looks like new cast iron and I believe looks more correct but is of course a personal choice.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Mikeinnj

Bill Hirsch sells a black exhaust paint. Not sure if it is glossy but I used some many years ago and it's still glossy. It is available in brush on or spray can.
You might call them to check on gloss; here is the link :

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EMPT-PINT

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 08-08-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: sp.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
stallerl

A few years ago I restored a 1955 Jaguar XK 140 which has porcelain exhaust manifolds. I had my manifolds sandblasted removing what old porcelain was left and had them re-coated by a company somewhere in the mid west. (They advertise in Hemmings) They were really nice and helped the car to win numerous 1st place awards.
This was before all the new powder coating and ceramic applications that are now offered. I recently had a few engine pieces powder coated for a 1984 Ferrari 308 I restored. Most pieces were either silver (exhaust), red (engine parts) or black (cooling tanks and air intake box) The black is very glossy and seems to be holding up quite well. So, I suggest you talk to a powder coating company about either powder or ceramic coating. See what they say about the heat of the manifold. Or, contact a company that does the porcelain coating. Good luck and have fun!
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
john hamilton

Thanks for the tips. Powder coating melts at 400 degrees and porcelinizing seems to be illegal now. "Classic" cars like my 1930 packard miss a huge amount of appeal with flat black manifolds.

The KBS web page has a huge number of paint and coating applications which may fill a lot of restoration needs. However, their jet black is also flat black or barbeque grill black.
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I haven't tried them but POR 15 offers manifold paints. I believe they have a gloss black. Might be worth checking out.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
stallerl

There is an ad in Hemmings for a company in Minnesota that is doing porcelain manifolds. The contact info is:
Prairie Auto Porcelain 17250 Cannon City Blvd, Faribault, MN. 55021. Phone is 507-334-9309. If I recall these are the people I used years ago for the Jaguar manifolds. Good luck...
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I haven't tried them but POR 15 offers manifold paints. I believe they have a gloss black. Might be worth checking out.
I tried them, their gray is flat, they have a black "Velvet" manifold paint, but it is not a gloss to me.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

I remember the porcelain manifolds on the forties Cadiliac flathead V8s, they were slick.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
oldguy41

Go to a hardware store and ask for Barbecue Black, High Gloss. This is a 1700 degree paint. I use it on manifolds and exhaust.
oldguy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy41 View Post
Go to a hardware store and ask for Barbecue Black, High Gloss. This is a 1700 degree paint. I use it on manifolds and exhaust.
Can you supply a brand or hardware store chain that carries it? I have searched and found nothing, even online. A Google Search for "High Gloss Barbecue Black" or "High Gloss Barbecue Paint" brings up a Valspar color. And on some websites it is advertised as a Gloss, even at Loews, but reading the can, it does not say Gloss, and the cap which usually indicates color, is flat black. The Valspar Website describes this paint as a "Satin Sheen" still not a gloss.

I do not think it exists, but would like to be proven wrong.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

When I was 14 I built a motorbike using a Clinton 2 cycle go kart engine, Whizzer gas tank and a 20" bike. I cut the end off the muffler so it was just a 3" stack. I painted it with red enamel in a spray can, and after I put a few miles on the bike the stack had turned (burned) from red to shiney black.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
oldguy41

Purchased at Auto Zone
oldguy41 is offline   Reply With Quote