Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default 59AB crank in 221-24 stud

I previously posted (see link below) about putting a 59AB crank and rods into an approx. '39 24 stud block (an "A" motor). It got lost in the machine shop and then I was busy with other things, but I'm now ready to put it together. My first hurdle is to get the crankshaft in. I'm not sure of the terminology, but the original crank had two oil slingers on it and the 59AB has only one. I have a rear seal conversion kit from Red Headers and a spare 59AB block I could cannibalize. The conversion kit has instructions, but since it is just a half of the circumference, I can't see how it works. As an alternative, it looks like I could remove the pot metal seal holder piece out of the 59ab main cap and use it to convert the cap in the A motor. I'm not sure about the block side, since I don't have the 59ab on an engine stand. Can I convert the block to a rope seal using the top half of the seal surface from the 59ab block? Are these the two pieces mentioned by Ken in the previous post, i.e. part nos. 19B-6336 and 91A-6335? Can I do this easier with the Red's Header Kit?
Thanks in advance,
Larry Young
Tulsa

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...highlight=59ab
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: 59AB crank in 221-24 stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
I previously posted (see link below) about putting a 59AB crank and rods into an approx. '39 24 stud block (an "A" motor). It got lost in the machine shop and then I was busy with other things, but I'm now ready to put it together. My first hurdle is to get the crankshaft in. I'm not sure of the terminology, but the original crank had two oil slingers on it and the 59AB has only one. I have a rear seal conversion kit from Red Headers and a spare 59AB block I could cannibalize. The conversion kit has instructions, but since it is just a half of the circumference, I can't see how it works. As an alternative, it looks like I could remove the pot metal seal holder piece out of the 59ab main cap and use it to convert the cap in the A motor. I'm not sure about the block side, since I don't have the 59ab on an engine stand. Can I convert the block to a rope seal using the top half of the seal surface from the 59ab block? Are these the two pieces mentioned by Ken in the previous post, i.e. part nos. 19B-6336 and 91A-6335? Can I do this easier with the Red's Header Kit?
Thanks in advance,
Larry Young
Tulsa

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...highlight=59ab
Yes, you can install the 59AB crank into a 30-42 block. you use the rear aluminum seal retainer out of the 59 bloke, the seal retainer you got from Red's should go into the A cap. With these you can use the rope seal. I'm not sure if the 59A rods will go through the 3-1/16 cyl. bore, if your A engine has the steel sleeves, I remove the sleeves and bore another .045 to 3-3/6 and use std. 8BA pistons. I use the 8BA crank and rods and the 8BA rod bearings, a lot cheaper than the 59 full floaters. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote