Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
Patrick L.

Default Re: Seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Please advise where you purchase it by the gallon. I have many cars and it would indeed be a substantial cost savings to me.
Thanks, Wayne

I get at our local Tractor Supply. This store is usually pretty expensive, but, they had gallons of this stuff marked at $37/gal. [ mis-marked from $57]. I asked them for every one they had and bought them. I think I still have 3 left.
Every once in awhile our local Advance Auto will have them for $2/can, but, will only sell one at a time. So I get one every time I drive by which is then quite often. I try to explain that it would be faster and cheaper for them to just sell me a case, but, store policy won't let them.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #22
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs29ModelA View Post
As Patrick L. said, I remember back in the mid '70's when I was studying Automotive Technology at my local junior college... and our instructor was an experienced automotive and marine/diesel mechanic of 30-plus years.

To this day, I vividly remember him telling us how great it was to put one quart of ATF into your engine's crankcase, to four quarts of your engine oil... because it would help keep your engine clean, especially your valve lifters (since it helped remove any varnish build-up). I remember him telling us that it was essentially a 10-weight viscosity, so it couldn't hurt anything either! So, I did that for years, in my '63 Nova and (later) in my '70 Nova... and can honestly say that I never did have any issues with a sticking lifter!

I was born in a Studebaker parts room and we also sold Fords. The AFT thing was also another Ford fix. But, Ford didn't have the amount of lifter problems that other makes had. We used it mostly on GMs.

I have a lot of such stories including correcting a rear axle howl in an early [ new at the time] motor home. It involved the grocery store across the road.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #23
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I get at our local Tractor Supply. This store is usually pretty expensive, but, they had gallons of this stuff marked at $37/gal. [ mis-marked from $57]. I asked them for every one they had and bought them. I think I still have 3 left.
Every once in awhile our local Advance Auto will have them for $2/can, but, will only sell one at a time. So I get one every time I drive by which is then quite often. I try to explain that it would be faster and cheaper for them to just sell me a case, but, store policy won't let them.
Locally I can only buy it at Canadian Tire in Canada ( $10.95 small can ) or Michigan Meijers store ( $9.49 small can ). I will check out TSC early tomorrow.
Thanks for the
Info !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #24
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick l. View Post
i was born in a studebaker parts room and we also sold fords. The aft thing was also another ford fix. But, ford didn't have the amount of lifter problems that other makes had. We used it mostly on gms.

I have a lot of such stories including correcting a rear axle howl in an early [ new at the time] motor home. It involved the grocery store across the road.
does it have anything to do with long slinder yellow peeling type fruit
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #25
Bobs29ModelA

What I remember from years ago is hearing stories about used car salesmen allegedly having sawdust put into a howling differential, to at least quiet them down long enough to allow for a "quiet" test drive, and then (hopefully) a sale, to some poor, unsuspecting soul!
Bobs29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #26
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
does it have anything to do with long slinder yellow peeling type fruit

Yep, and that man owned, and drove, that vehicle for many many years. I never could bring myself to tell him how it was 'fixed'.
I was under that truck 3 times and all I did was move the howl around. The rep looked it over, walked across the street and passed those things out for everyone and kept the yellow outside 'housings' for insertion into that little hole. Back then the coach's were basically just a huge echo chamber.
There were times I'd watch these factory reps and just walk away shaking my head, but, the 'fixes' seemed to work.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #27
fords

An good friend named Jim in Texas told me about SeaFoam. I started using it in the A and T and the best result I saw right off was when I poured it directly into the carb (as the directions said) to my 1986 John Deere lawn tractor. The tractor was not starting well and was becoming a pain. But after all the smoke and almost chocking the thing down - Seafoam did its job and this has been two years since doing it and it starts every time without a hic up. I use it in everthing
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #28
Terry,NJ

Or oatmeal, raw eggs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs29ModelA View Post
What I remember from years ago is hearing stories about used car salesmen allegedly having sawdust put into a howling differential, to at least quiet them down long enough to allow for a "quiet" test drive, and then (hopefully) a sale, to some poor, unsuspecting soul!
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #29
stewwolfe

How does Seafoam react with a gas tank that has been boiled out and lined?
stewwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
How does Seafoam react with a gas tank that has been boiled out and lined?

It should work fine, I would be more worried about the modern gas harming it and not the seafoam, it will help clean the fuel system (varnish in lines, gummed up carb) and it will also help get rid of carbon build up in the engine. I started to dump it in our John Deere g and then go plow, when i get done the sparkplugs are white instead of a grayish.
I would recommend a can per tankful, but for my own I would go stronger, like a can and a half.
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #31
Bill in SoCal

Default Raw eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Or oatmeal, raw eggs etc.
Raw egg - good roadside repair for a radiator leak. Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #32
Richard in NC

I believe I read that modern ATF has some amount of silicone in it. If this is true, don't run it in the fuel on any late model vehicle. If any of it gets through the engine into the exhaust system without burning, the silicone will destroy the oxygen sensor very quickly.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote