Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
John S

Default Another engine knock

Thanks to some help from the board and my labor in 100* weather my transmission leak is fixed.
On to the next problem, an engine knock that comes and goes. It's worse when cold but can be heard at all times, even with the engine hot. Once the engine is warm it can barely be heard. At first I thought that one of the rods was loose on the crank but shorting the cyls. one at a time changes nothing. I checked around the timing gear area by inserting the timing pin with the engine at idle and no change there. It almost sounds like it's in the distributor area, but if it was the oil pump or drive it wouldn't get louder with the spark advanced at idle. I'm thinking the noise is piston slap.
This car is a complete unknown except I do know that it sat for a number of years after being restored before I bought it from an estate. The engine runs really strong, doesn't smoke or run hot and will leave only one or two drops of oil. I was going to pull it out and tear it down for inspection but now that I've run it almot 100 miles with good results I'm leaning in the direction of just dropping the pan and checking the rod bearings.
What do you all think?

Last edited by John S; 08-01-2011 at 06:57 PM.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Another engine knock

Awhile back, I had a generator pulley give me some noise. It would be sort of a clicking noise, sometimes getting louder and most times just being a clicking noise when it ran. After taking off the fan belt, it went away. Pulled off the generator pulley and found it was a two piece thing held together with 4 rivets. The rivets were loose. After pounding them tight, the noise went away.

Don't know if this is your problem but thought I would pass it on.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
John S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Awhile back, I had a generator pulley give me some noise. It would be sort of a clicking noise, sometimes getting louder and most times just being a clicking noise when it ran. After taking off the fan belt, it went away. Pulled off the generator pulley and found it was a two piece thing held together with 4 rivets. The rivets were loose. After pounding them tight, the noise went away.

Don't know if this is your problem but thought I would pass it on.
I didn't think to run it without the fan belt, thanks for reminding me. Might make it easier to find the noise.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
fordfixer

I had one recently I was working on for a club member. It turned out to be a two piece crank pulley. Replaced it and it is nice and quite now. If this is the case with your car. Make sure you get the correct length crankpulley. I have seen three different lengths.
2 1/2, 2 5/8's, and 2 3/4 inches. They were new ones from the vendors. Jon
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
randy randolph

HI had a knock turn out to be weak distributor spring in the valve chamber lower shaft.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
brum1

Check the easy stuff 1st, like crank pulley, timing gear, If nothing found drop pan for inspection.