Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
CarlLaFong

Default New Guy/Old Guy

New here, but an old guy. I ate the side of a cliff on my bike a week and a half ago. Clear judgment and the pleading of my wife made me decide 55 years was a good run, but time to hang up the helmet and leathers. Now what??? I am a tinkerer and a grease monkey. Happiest when I'm on a creeper or standing at the lathe. I sold my T about 10 years ago. Miss it, but don't miss the impracticality of it. I had a 30 coupe, but sold it in 72. So, I think another A is the fix that a car junky, like me, needs. Once I'm out of the cast and leg brace, the search will begin. I'll be looking for a rumble seat coupe or a Tudor. Something south of 10K. It will be a daily driver, so blemishes are to be expected. No SBC or 4 links. Biggest upgrade would be a head, cam, carb.............and brakes
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: New Guy/Old Guy

Welcome Carl. I'm in SoCal too. Watch Craigslist...I'm sure something will turn up.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

Join a local club. Orange county model a club is a big one. Should be of help with a search.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Where is Sunny SoCal? Is it close to San Diego, or maybe Bakersfield or Ventura? There are a large number of clubs in the Southern California area. You should be able to locate them on modelaford.org or mafca.com. Drop each one a line and ask is they would put a "Wanted" ad in their monthly newsletter. Also ask if you can get on distribution for their newsletter so you can check the "For Sale" ads. If they use electronic distribution it doesn't cost them anything and probably wouldn't cost you anything. You might want to add your email to your profile and watch for PM's coming through.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

"CarlLaFong"? As in W.C. Field's "It's a Gift" with the 1928-29 Phaeton destroying itself?
Carl La Fong - Capital "L", small "a", Capital "F", small "o"... and so on. GREAT scene in that movie!
Here is your name sake scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xHJrGEcP_k
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
1930-Pickup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
"CarlLaFong"? As in W.C. Field's "It's a Gift" with the 1928-29 Phaeton destroying itself?
Carl La Fong - Capital "L", small "a", Capital "F", small "o"... and so on. GREAT scene in that movie!
Marshall
Wow...Too much! LOL
Old 11-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Marshall
Did you ever count how many times he said that? I was laughing too hard to keep track.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
michael a

Carl I understand what you're going through how was in a bad one and 95 but I still rolled right up until the last couple of years I think the thing that bothers me most is inattentiveness of other drivers. Just because we don't twist that WIC anymore does not mean we have to quit Motorsports I suppose I will be doing something until the day I die and hopefully I do hope I died doing what I love. You found a great bunch of people and more than helpful on this website so get out of that cast of get to looking

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
CarlLaFong

He's a railroad man and gets up very early in the morning"

"He's a chump"

I'm in LA, more specifically, Santa Clarita. I'm still house bound, so I will not be looking seriously until I am fit. I will certainly join a club. I was in the MTFCA, mother chapter in the San Fernando Valley and it was fun and the members were a great help to me. Wifey enjoyed it as well. I liked the bike, heck, I've always loved two wheels since my first Cushman. She never had the passion, so she rarely rode with me, thank God. Plus, the last bike scared her, for good reason I suppose. It was a Boss Hoss, a contraption with a 385 horse, ZZ4 Chevy engine. Two speeds....... fast and stupid fast.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
glenn in camino

The Orange County chapter is an active club with fun people. I was a member for 37 years. We moved away because of the traffic and congestion, and now live in the Northern California foothills. We belong to the Hangtown As chapter
in Placerville. It's another great club with fun tours, mostly on two lane mountain roads with very little traffic, and interesting places to visit. GET OUT OF THE RAT RACE.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
Jim Brierley

You're a long way from Orange County. It seems like you are not a blue-ribbon restorer, so I recommend contacting the F.A.S.T. group. www.hotforhotfours.com headquartered in Newhall, right next door to you.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
CarlLaFong

Definitely not a blue ribbon guy, but I'm also not a butcher. I just want a nice 90% stock A Bone to fool around with and have some fun. I had forgotten about the FAST group. If and when I find a car, I will contact them.
In the very early 60s, when I caught the old car bug, the San Fernando Valley was awash in old cars. Model "A"s were so common, I rarely gave them a second look. My friend and I would hop on our bicycles and go car hunting, looking over fences and peeking between fence boards. At one point, I knew where there were five, 1925 Buicks in a one mile radius. We found Franklins, a Cord, all sorts of MoPars, Studes, a big early teens ALCO truck, Hudsons, Essexes, old motorcycles, scooters. I wish I had taken pictures and wrote it all down. We had Valley Obsolete in North Hollywood and Tiny Snell's in Glendale. Benz Auto Wrecking specialized in "A"s. Rampant growth and a radical shift in the demographics of my old neighborhood wiped out most of the old cars. Yet, they are still out there. Not in the abundance of my youth, but still there. I always thought the best job a car nut could have was a meter reader.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLaFong View Post
He's a railroad man and gets up very early in the morning"

"He's a chump"

I'm in LA, more specifically, Santa Clarita. I'm still house bound, so I will not be looking seriously until I am fit. I will certainly join a club. I was in the MTFCA, mother chapter in the San Fernando Valley and it was fun and the members were a great help to me. Wifey enjoyed it as well. I liked the bike, heck, I've always loved two wheels since my first Cushman. She never had the passion, so she rarely rode with me, thank God. Plus, the last bike scared her, for good reason I suppose. It was a Boss Hoss, a contraption with a 385 horse, ZZ4 Chevy engine. Two speeds....... fast and stupid fast.
There is a pretty good sized Model A club in the San Fernando Valley. Might try to contact them by looking up in MAFCA or MARC directories.

Ken
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
You're a long way from Orange County. It seems like you are not a blue-ribbon restorer, so I recommend contacting the F.A.S.T. group. www.hotforhotfours.com headquartered in Newhall, right next door to you.
Yes, but I still have one. I'll be at Reno with it and a big load of model A stuff for the swap meet. See you there.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #15
burner31

Gave up my harley (bad back) after almost fifty years in the saddle.
Always wanted a Model A...should have got it years ago.
You've made a wise decision
Drove it 100 miles yesterday...could not have done that on my bike.
And like a Harley, A's always have something to wrench on...fun, fun, fun
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #16
CarlLaFong

I hear ya. 55 years of fun and memories. I'm happiest, covered with grease and a few bandaids. I still have my 47 Whizzer, so two wheeled fun can continue at 30 mph