Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Ronnie Lawson

Default New motor with oil leaking

I have a new rebuilt motor. I put 5 quarts of oil in. 4 in the crank case and 1 in the distributor hole. I tilted the motor about 15 degrees to install it into the frame and oil started leaking out of the bell housing cotter pin hole. Three hours later it leaked about a pint of oil. I installed it and after it was level the leak stopped. Is this normal with the new engine or do I have a rear main problem? I have not started the motor yet. It has been rebuilt.
Thanks for any advise.
Ron Lawson
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Sparky

Default Re: New motor with oil leaking

My guess is that it is a leak between the oil pan and the bearing housing, not the bearing itself. Maybe the cork gasket wasn't installed carefully.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Jazzjr

Ronnie, I wouldn't worry to much, really you should have installed the Engine Dry, then added oil. You flooded the rear main, plus because of the angle, most of the oil has run out of the Dipper Pan, and the Valve Spring Chamber and run down into the Oil Pan. But 1 good thing, your Rear Main Bearing is well lubed for Start-up.

All that I have read, and my experience with my A, is they normally all seep a little oil out the rear main, which is supposed to be Normal.

Start over again, drain all the oil out, put a quart in the Distributor Hole, wait 15 Minutes, let the excess run down into the Pan. Then add oil to the Engine, fill to 1/4" below the Full mark on the Dip Stick. I have found out a little bit Low, is better than at the full mark, but check the oil Level often to maintain the 1/4" low Level. Good Luck with the New Engine on Start up.

Last edited by Jazzjr; 11-18-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Ray in La Mesa

This also happens when an A is tilted on a flatbed tow truck. The design of the rear main and slinger allows the oil to flow through if the engine is not running. Not to worry, just clean up the mess and check your oil level.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote