Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #41
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Planning on a Shop Lift, Two or Four Post?

CRAIGSLIST

That is what I have to say!

I monitor the tools section of craigslist in my area and several times a month I see quality lifts come up for sale. They seem to range in price from $1000 to $3000 and all that I have paid attention to were major names I recognized. Most are 2 post with some 4 post.

Just wish I had the building that I could put in lift.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Roger V

I have a four post Autolifter made in the US. I agree that there are times when a two post would be more convenient as previously mentioned. I guess I feel safer with the four post. Maybe it was the story of a friend who was a mechanic at Roush. A fellow mechanic working next to him removed the rear end and the vehicle fell off the two post lift as he didn't have it balanced. I don't use mine for storage though I have 12'7" clearance. Yes, I have hit my head when I "thought" I was clear. I have six inches of concrete in that area though it requires only four inches. BTW, one of the most important details IMO is that the cross rails have collar ends that surround the post in order to keep it rigid. I don't have to bolt it to the floor and can move it with casters if needed. Many/most of the cheaper or foreign made have cross rail ends that are inside slotted columns. Those should be anchored to the floor. Backyard Buddy is similar to mine and made in the US too. Ironically, some times you get your wish. Before I complained about access working off a creeper on the floor under a car. Now I complain about my neck hurting from looking up from a standing position as well as not seeing very well through the top of my glasses close-up! Oh well............
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #43
700rpm

Oops. Deleted this question after I reread an earlier post.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #44
29 Tudor

Great information! Decisions, decisions.....
29 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #45
RPMREX

With the four post they have heavy trays that slide front to back that you can jack up the car to remove tires or rearends etc. The doors open freely and the ramps come off also. I would only buy a 4 post. I also put the casters on and moved the lift outside to lift up the '40 so I could get it up in the air more due to lower ceiling height.
RPMREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #46
Keith True

If you do go to a four post,make sure the jacks are available for it.They are not offered for all lifts.You can overthink the whole deal,and wind up scratching your head worse than when you started.You can,'what if' yourself to death.My lift is a German made one,about 20-25 years old.I forget the make.Half the time I am swearing because it is not a four post,and the other half I'm glad it is not.Losing a car off a lift is not the fault of the lift,it is stupidity.When I take the rear end out of an A I chain the back of the car down to the lift arms.The front lift posts are under the motor mounts,and the rears are under the frame,outboard of the radius rods.When I take that rear end out,I am losing a lot of ballast.I did have a go-around this morning with my lift,I thought I nearly lost a truck off it.I had an 06 F150 going up,at about chest level there was a crash and the truck laid over and dropped a foot on one side.I really thought it slid off the perches on one side.Turns out my perch setting was fine,it was the perch going up through the frame and into the floor.The guy just bought the truck Monday,at a wholesale yard.This business is geared to sell to used car dealers,but anybody is welcome to buy.There is no going back there,they just sell the cars for the owners,they know nothing about them.It is made very clear to buyers that what you see is what you get,and what you don't see you get anyway.They are not a retail dealer.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #47
Maclab58

I have a two post and love it. It takes up less floor space and is easy to walk around. Just make sure you have the car centered properly on the lift before you go up with the it.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #48
29 Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I'm thinking along the same lines as mitch//pa..........there is an awful lot of frame flex on a Model A Ford to hang it out there on a 2 post hoist for very long.

If it were me I'd go for the 4 post for safety's sake and ease of doing regular maintenance which is more than likely what you will spend 90% of your time doing, oil changes, cleaning the underside, etc. etc.

You can buy additional goodies to jack up the car on the four post and pull a wheel from time to time. Realistically speaking, like I said, you will be spending more time greasing, oil changes, etc. FAR more than re-doing brakes and the like.
I'm just about where you are Jeff. The vast majority of my work will not involve having the wheels off the ground and the idea of the frame flexing that much concerns me. I'm thinking a good four post with the jacking platforms might be in my future.

Steve
Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #49
Chris in WNC

we have a Backyard Buddy 4-post
very high quality, US manufactured.

I would not trust my life to anything less.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #50
Randall

Like my Rotary 2 post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dean hunter 048 (Small).jpg (45.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg dean hunter 049 (Small).jpg (39.6 KB, 14 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #51
29 Tudor

Thanks for all the inputs and comments. I think I am about convinced that a quality 4-post lift is in my future along with one (or maybe two) jack plates. The vast majority of my work will be oil changes and routine service so I think that will suit me fine.

Steve
Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #52
Red Mark

I've also been considering a lift for the barn. In my opinion, a four post is the way to go. Wheel removal is a down-side but, can easily be accomodated with a floor jack. Some four posts are movable, so you can roll it out into the driveway for more working space. Also, if you have a motorcycle, a four post can double as a motorcycle lift.
Red Mark is offline   Reply With Quote