Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #61
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1929 Pickup interior

The FAA had to go all electronic on their Aviation Inspectors Handbook due to the constant updating of it. It was just too expensive to keep up with paper books that end up in the file 13 every other month or so. Patent and copyright laws were intended to protect those who apply for them so that others won't try to profit from their work. If profit isn't in the mix then no rules are violated.

Most car clubs gain operating funds by publications that they offer members and the general public. I don't mind donating to their cause but then I'm a member of a few of them so I pay my dues as well. Folks that get heavily involved in restorations generally purchase some of these publications unless they inherit them from senior family members that share the same interest. It's not easy to perform major repairs without more than just a little bit of guidance.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #62
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
This is the correct mentality for this hobby! Thanks for sharing your information rather than trying to hide it from the world.
While I somewhat agree with what is being said, there is a side of this that I feel is not really being discussed/considered. The purpose of the publications that both clubs produce is to provide information (-which theoretically perpetuates the hobby) -AND to offset the expenses of an entity that preserves the Ford Model-A. Many of the answers that people post here are information that came directly from a publication that came thru the National club's efforts. So preserving the integrity of where that information came from can be a sensitive topic for some, ...especially if they know the backstory and how it came to be.

Now bringing this closer to home, ...I think it is no secret that Ryan receives a dividend by providing this platform. Before him was Shelley & Peter, and before them was Gus. If the financial dividend that Ryan receives from this forum were to cease, then what is the likelihood that Ryan would be interested in continue to provide all of the funding and/or the labor associated with making sure Fordbarn is there for us to share information?? That same mindset can be applied to the national clubs and their publications that continue to provide funding for them. The same for MAFFI.

I realize that not everyone enjoys "judging" however that was the catalyst that has made the Model-A as popular as it is today. Most people have never taken the time to understand just how instrumental George DeAngelis and other forefathers were at collecting information, -and the information was utilized which when used to restore, created more questions and the need for more answers. This is how the research (-and subsequent adjudication) propels the hobby to be stronger. So much good has come from this research even with mechanical components that we often overlook how we got here. If the research had not come about, then would we still be using JC Whitney and Western Auto cheaply made replacement parts? If original type fabrics had not been researched and reproduced, what would the interiors of most Model-As look like?? We have all seen Model-As that have incorrect upholstery, paint, and other components on them, ...and look at the diminished value of those vehicles when compared to one that is aesthetically correct. I feel that value is a direct correlation to the publications from the national clubs research. Therefore shouldn't we be respectful to the ones who have provided this information for us -and maybe not take the stance that we now should be entitled to it?? Maybe not, ...but I know I have invested a tremendous amount of time & effort in to the knowledge I have regarding Model-As, ...and the knowledge I have is extremely pale by comparison to many of the ones before me.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #63
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
While I somewhat agree with what is being said, there is a side of this that I feel is not really being discussed/considered. The purpose of the publications that both clubs produce is to provide information (-which theoretically perpetuates the hobby) -AND to offset the expenses of an entity that preserves the Ford Model-A. Many of the answers that people post here are information that came directly from a publication that came thru the National club's efforts. So preserving the integrity of where that information came from can be a sensitive topic for some, ...especially if they know the backstory and how it came to be.

Now bringing this closer to home, ...I think it is no secret that Ryan receives a dividend by providing this platform. Before him was Shelley & Peter, and before them was Gus. If the financial dividend that Ryan receives from this forum were to cease, then what is the likelihood that Ryan would be interested in continue to provide all of the funding and/or the labor associated with making sure Fordbarn is there for us to share information?? That same mindset can be applied to the national clubs and their publications that continue to provide funding for them. The same for MAFFI.

I realize that not everyone enjoys "judging" however that was the catalyst that has made the Model-A as popular as it is today. Most people have never taken the time to understand just how instrumental George DeAngelis and other forefathers were at collecting information, -and the information was utilized which when used to restore, created more questions and the need for more answers. This is how the research (-and subsequent adjudication) propels the hobby to be stronger. So much good has come from this research even with mechanical components that we often overlook how we got here. If the research had not come about, then would we still be using JC Whitney and Western Auto cheaply made replacement parts? If original type fabrics had not been researched and reproduced, what would the interiors of most Model-As look like?? We have all seen Model-As that have incorrect upholstery, paint, and other components on them, ...and look at the diminished value of those vehicles when compared to one that is aesthetically correct. I feel that value is a direct correlation to the publications from the national clubs research. Therefore shouldn't we be respectful to the ones who have provided this information for us -and maybe not take the stance that we now should be entitled to it?? Maybe not, ...but I know I have invested a tremendous amount of time & effort in to the knowledge I have regarding Model-As, ...and the knowledge I have is extremely pale by comparison to many of the ones before me.

You are preaching to the choir here. I have all of these books and paid full price, not on the secondary market. I still feel that sharing a correct pinstripe placement or correct upholstery grain shouldn’t require a member to buy all the books to answer their one question. Most of us are happy if our cars are fun and enjoyable, not worried about complete correctness. I will always error on the side of helping someone vs telling them “go buy your own”. Maybe we were just brought up differently.

Last edited by LeonardS; 01-11-2022 at 12:55 PM.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:52 PM   #64
Ryan
Administrator

Ok... update from the MARC/MAFCA...

I got a super nice reply from Joe Fox who also talked to Jay McCord. They are absolutely fine with you guys quoting their materials. They do, however, ask that you don't just shoot an image of the book and post that...

Perfectly logical from their standpoint.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #65
LeonardS

Thanks Ryan! Now we know what they approve.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:17 AM   #66
Dkrahn

I ordered it a week ago. Now I am just waiting for arrival.

Thank you
Dkrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #67
Dkrahn

Thank you much for the info.. I did order the book
Old 01-12-2022, 09:23 AM   #68
Dkrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
Dkrahn, Your pickup has a cab which had an interior. You don't indicate which cab you have (82-A closed cab or 76-A open cab). FYI - The cabs used on the A-chassis and on the AA-chassis are one in the same.

If your vehicle has the 82-A closed cab, some information/pictures are found at:

https://aafords.com/cabs/82-a-closed...ab-details/#tv
https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/mats/
https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/mirrors/

The above links are for AAFords.com – but the 82-A information applies to the A-chassis cab as well.
I apologize, I have the A model and it is closed cab. Thank you much for the links
Old 01-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #69
Dkrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
I think you are going to have a really hard time getting into judging without that book.
Finally received the book...Great book...and ALOT of detail