Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Keeper79

Default Its Alive... ALIVE!!!

Little long but I am excited.

After many long troubling nights between electrical gremlins and finding another problem after fixing one for the past year.

Got a call yesterday from the guy rebuilding my starter. All new parts inside, and a few issues with locating bushings (had one specially cut to fit by my wifes uncle)

Got the starter back on last night, wife help set the timing on the distributor and put some fresh gas in it. Did a preflight check over everything.. Pressed starter button... Dang battery was too weak. Put it on slow charge and left it over night.

Went this morning and slid back into the seat.. set the spark and fuel, no choke needed and hit the starter button in the floor. Fired right to life. Hadn't ran in close to 4 yrs since it left my father in law stranded on the road.

Wife came down stairs and was just grinning. Wheeled it outside, and pulled it to the top of the driveway. I grabbed my wallet and the wife hopped in. Did a short 4 mile loop and she ran perfect. Except for the horn.. no oooga...

Got back home and gave it a go over again to make sure everything was working great. Took a real ride down to her other uncles house who restores late models as a hobby. The A ran perfect, everywhere we went people waved and gave us the thumbs up. Then magically I hit the horn again and she fired to life. oooga oooga

Need to get a new ignition switch and give the whole car a final cleaning. Will then hand the keys back over to my father in law. After I drive it back to his house and surprise him.

Wanted to thank everyone here who has helped me with my electrical nightmares and offered so much of their knowledge. I certainly have learned plenty.

Naturally got a pic for everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072812091057.jpg (77.7 KB, 140 views)
Keeper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Its Alive... ALIVE!!!

Very Nice! It will be enjoyed again I'm sure.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
TinCup

Is that North Sticks Virginia or South? Nice very nice.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
SDJason

Congrats!
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

I glue a patch of leather or rubber on gas tank behind ignition switch, just in case a "GREMLIN" COULD JUMP ACROSS! Bill W.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
Keeper79

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
South East VA,Tappahannock is near me (only 11 miles away)

Good idea on the leather and ignition switch. Right now mine is loosing connection and checking the continuity and my multimeter set to beep gives me sporadic beeping and chirps.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
rollingsculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I glue a patch of leather or rubber on gas tank behind ignition switch, just in case a "GREMLIN" COULD JUMP ACROSS! Bill W.
smart thats definitely a gremlin trap

great to hear you got it up and running and your willing to hand back the keys reminds me that even if you dont own one a person can still be involved in the hobby and enjoy the rewards of keeping them going , good job!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Keeper79

talking to the wife this morning and told her i had an idea. Their church is only a few miles from the house and on the way. See about this Sunday coming up to drive it and park it outside of the church. Let him walk out and see it sitting there for him and he can drive it home.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper79 View Post
talking to the wife this morning and told her i had an idea. Their church is only a few miles from the house and on the way. See about this Sunday coming up to drive it and park it outside of the church. Let him walk out and see it sitting there for him and he can drive it home.
Keeper,
Great idea!!! Ever see a grown man cry tears of JOY? He'd never forget that, even when he was OOOOLD! Wish I could be there! Stuff like this is what makes the hobby so fulfilling & FUN! Like, wearing my overalls with my rubber chicken hangin' out of the back pocket, wearing dumb lookin' hats that nobody ever claims at the coffee hole, my tee shirt that says,"UNEXPECTED BILL," or my vintage LION'S DRAG STRIP shirt that says, "RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG!"
Chief always said, "We are ALL children in OLD skins!" Life is too short to get OLD & Kranky! Bill W. & Dog (I finally got the knack of of posting Pics, So for those who doubt, this is Buster T. Brown, my prized Rat Terrier, Model A Expert, VICIOUS SECURITY DOG! and constant companion****) Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUSTER 2.jpg (31.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 07-30-2012 at 06:51 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote