Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #41
ronn

Default Re: Owner of Recovered Ford Model A Doesn’t Want Vehicle Back

....and when there is a running and driving chassis they get snapped up quick by guys that slap bodies on them and flip them. __________________

hmmm..... I wonder who those "guys" could be????
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #42
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29tudorsedan View Post
I agree with the agreement! I'm 20, and while college keeps me busy and away from the garage with my A in it, it's driven every weekend, and on breaks it's my go-to vehicle! I don't belong to a club, but my great uncle had a coupe when I was growing up and would always let me help with anything, so naturally I ended up with my Tudor in wanting to continue getting to work on an A and drive one. The most fun is taking a ride with my great uncle every time I'm in my A, even though he passed away this summer, I just hope his coupe gets taken care of by the family members that have it now!

Quite honestly, your story is very similar to the majority of people I encounter in my line of work. Your great Uncle created a connection for you to the Model-A, --and just like many others, there is usually a "bond" in some way where folks want to own a Model-A because of a time in their life they look upon favorably. And many others, just like you really do not have the time for a "club" but just owning one gives you/them joy & pleasure. Best wishes in your future career. When do you graduate and what is your major?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
dean from bozeman

Ray (700 rpm),
'In our area, our Model A club is bigger than it has ever been in its 40+ years. Yes, many members are over 50, but at least a third I would estimate at under 50. There comes a time (usually over 50) when we have enough time and money to pursue our hobbies, and in looking at the interest level in our club I would say that there is a whole new crew coming up. We seem to gain appreciation for old stuff as we ourselves get older, and I think that is human nature and that is what will keep the hobby alive.'

Maybe that is it. For years I have freaked out thinking that most Model A's in a 100 years will be museum pieces or in some non original form (hot rod, rat rod, etc.).

Perhaps my thinking that we need to get young folks involved is skewed. We would agree that the tours, bingo, etc. are things that middle aged and up enjoy. Perhaps the target crowd is actually the 45 to 55 year olds. The empty nesters. They have the time and the cash.

If the hobby has evolved from a few with nice old cars to the owner restorations to professionally restored cars (as suggested) then perhaps it is now time that the Model A car becomes a ticket into a social club. Therefore we don't try to fit the young into our hobby (though God Bless the young like John Duden who do get involved) but realize that the hobby will continue mostly through the participation of empty nesters.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #44
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Ray (700 rpm),
Perhaps the target crowd is actually the 45 to 55 year olds...They have the time and the cash...
Hey - I resemble that remark...
(got my Town Sedan as a hobby two years ago at the ripe old age of 46 - time on the hands, some extra $ in the bank)
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
ronn

The model A clubs are like churches-a dying breed

time to stop reinventing bingo and get back to basics....

BTW-went to ebay-punched in model A ford under car and truck
73 candidates and not more then 33 are original cars......... maybe less

so where are we trending.....?

Last edited by ronn; 12-28-2013 at 01:00 PM.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #46
Chris in WNC

the numbers of cars and the numbers of owners will continue to decline but never disappear entirely.
I have 4 grandchildren who LOVE riding in Model As. I have promised to teach them how to drive as soon as each can reach the pedals.
If only 1 becomes an old-car enthusiast, I will have succeeded!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #47
Tacoma Bob

Welllllll, at the risk of being called a kill joy this has been my experience over the past few years. As stated earlier as a group we must invest in sharing our passion and knowledge about these and other collector cars. Without investing, the State and Federal Government will make the decision for us. Sooner rather than later all these cars will be banned from being driven. Although we all know better, it will come down safety and ecological issues. Trust me as there will be many broken hearts because there are only sooo many museums to go around. If not for well to do private collectors the cars will become useless with no monetary value and will wind up being scrapped.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #48
pooch

I don't think old cars will all be banned from being on all roads, they will just be selective about the roads they can go on.

I don't know about you guys in USA , but I think you have some highways that ban cars that don't go fast enough or motorcycles below a certain capacity that cannot keep up with the flow of traffic.

For the first time ever, here down under, a few days ago, I heard of cops fining a guy for going too slow on a freeway.

It may be the beginning of the end, unless most of us want our crankshafts lying on the road as we try in vain to keep up with the traffic.

Whoa... wait a minute model A/s can go 65 MPH all day long... yeh sure.

That A could not even make it across the USA a while back without blowing up.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #49
BlueSunoco

You're right pooch, on the minimum speed requirements on the U.S. Interstate system anyway. 45 MPH minimum speed.

No way in hell I would drive a Model A Ford on the Interstate unless you have some kind of death wish; you are just asking to get plowed into. I know, guys with their Mitchell overdrives and on and on but that's still dangerous to run 60 or 65,,, for one thing the way a Model A 'doesn't' handle you will get yourself in trouble real fast.

Model A's do not belong on an Interstate pure and simple. Mustang GT's and Camaro's, absolutely.

Illinois' speed limit on the Interstate was 65 until day after tomorrow, it goes to 70 MPH. When it was 65, people drove 75 and higher. If you went less than that they would drive over you. NOW it goes to 70 which means the speeders are ramping it up to 80 and beyond. Any idea how fast a car, going 80-85, is going to come up behind your Model A going 40 or 45? They will smash into you and if you live, will wonder just what happened.

Last edited by BlueSunoco; 12-30-2013 at 06:46 PM.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #50
Keeper79

Being a young buck (34 yrs old) I love driving my father in laws A. Had it for 14 months working on it. Cruising in a model A is nice and relaxing while holding up traffic on the back roads. I gave it back to him 1.5yrs ago but still do maintenance and upkeep on it for him.

I get asked often my age from the older crowd as I love to look and enjoy other people's cars and ask questions I can assume most normal people don't have a clue about.

Will always remember when I was working on the A and noticed a small group in town. I stopped to look and asked the gentleman a question. Told him I never noticed that on my A while working on it. Gave me this weird look as if I grew a third eye. Asked my age (32 at the time) and asked you're working on an A?

I just laughed and told him "doesn't everyone have an A!"
Keeper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #51
[email protected]

• The final chapter.

Originally Published Jan 06, 2014 20:04
By JENNIFER TODD
Staff Writer
[email protected]

Three people have been charged in the theft last summer of a 1930 Model A Ford.

The vintage automobile was inside a trailer that was stolen in August from a Pequea Township storage facility. The car and trailer turned up months later in Delaware.

Curtis T. Williams, 30, of Conestoga, and Stephanie N. Yoder, 33, of Narvon, stole the box trailer so Williams could trade it to Brian N. Caldwell, 45, of Ocean View, Del., according to officials.

But the plan hit a snag when the two discovered the Model A inside.

Yoder said Caldwell had no interest in the vehicle, according to a criminal complaint filed by Southern Regional police Officer Dianne Carter.

The owner of the Model A, 84-year-old Ralph Wright of Willow Valley, initially tussled with insurance officials to have the car returned to him but eventually decided he didn't want it back.

Williams was behind bars on unrelated charges when Carter questioned him about the theft Nov. 27. It wasn't clear what led police to suspect Williams was tied to the incident.

Williams told the officer that he knew about the trailer because he had a storage unit at the same facility. He admitted he had entered the trailer in the past and stolen tools, but he said the car hadn't been inside at that time, according to the complaint.

Williams told police he stole the tools to support a drug habit. He is charged with three counts of theft and one count of conspiracy in relation to the trailer theft. Williams is facing an additional theft charge for previously taking items from the trailer.

Yoder is charged with three counts of theft and one count of conspiracy.

Caldwell is facing two theft charges and a conspiracy charge. He was arrested Jan. 4 after a vehicle pursuit in Leacock Township involving state police, who knew he was wanted on numerous warrants.

Caldwell intentionally crashed the vehicle in a field on Newport Road, police said. He took off on foot but eventually was apprehended.

Both Caldwell and Williams were in Lancaster County Prison on Jan. 6 and are scheduled to be arraigned on Jan. 7.

Yoder had not been arraigned on her charges as of Jan. 6.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz2pk8jlWsW
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #52
Mikeinnj

Let's hope this IS the final chapter.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #53
Sixseven

For a hobby that is dying, it becomes difficult to explain why that 1940 pickup went for $1,000 in 1975 and todays ask can be nearly $70K. Fewer and fewer cars will be on the road until one day the last ones are too valuable to risk damaging while driving. Then we will see them in trailers to be unloaded and reloaded at car shows and the old guy who is 21 today will explain to his grandkids that he remembers seeing one or two on the road or in Jay Leno's garage.

I keep trying to afford that super-dooper collectable car, but the prices are rising faster than my earning ability does.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #54
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixseven View Post
For a hobby that is dying, it becomes difficult to explain why that 1940 pickup went for $1,000 in 1975 and todays ask can be nearly $70K. Fewer and fewer cars will be on the road until one day the last ones are too valuable to risk damaging while driving. Then we will see them in trailers to be unloaded and reloaded at car shows and the old guy who is 21 today will explain to his grandkids that he remembers seeing one or two on the road or in Jay Leno's garage.

I keep trying to afford that super-dooper collectable car, but the prices are rising faster than my earning ability does.
You know, that very same thing was said back in 1975 (...and back in 1965, ....and in 1955 too) where the cost of these cars is getting so outrageous that in another 10-20 years, people will not be driving them because they will be too valuable.

The same thing was said about fewer & fewer cars on the road and most of them would be trailered everywhere. I guess my question is 40+ years later, were their predictions anywhere close to being correct??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #55
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You know, that very same thing was said back in 1975 (...and back in 1965, ....and in 1955 too) where the cost of these cars is getting so outrageous that in another 10-20 years, people will not be driving them because they will be too valuable.

The same thing was said about fewer & fewer cars on the road and most of them would be trailered everywhere. I guess my question is 40+ years later, were their predictions anywhere close to being correct??
Yes, i have seen one other model A being used as a car besides mine. There was i time when old people would drive them once in a while, or everyday.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #56
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Yes, i have seen one other model A being used as a car besides mine. There was i time when old people would drive them once in a while, or everyday.

? ? ?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #57
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
  • The final chapter.

Originally Published Jan 06, 2014 20:04
By JENNIFER TODD
Staff Writer
[email protected]

Three people have been charged in the theft last summer of a 1930 Model A Ford.

The vintage automobile was inside a trailer that was stolen in August from a Pequea Township storage facility. The car and trailer turned up months later in Delaware.

Curtis T. Williams, 30, of Conestoga, and Stephanie N. Yoder, 33, of Narvon, stole the box trailer so Williams could trade it to Brian N. Caldwell, 45, of Ocean View, Del., according to officials.

But the plan hit a snag when the two discovered the Model A inside.

Yoder said Caldwell had no interest in the vehicle, according to a criminal complaint filed by Southern Regional police Officer Dianne Carter.

The owner of the Model A, 84-year-old Ralph Wright of Willow Valley, initially tussled with insurance officials to have the car returned to him but eventually decided he didn't want it back.

Williams was behind bars on unrelated charges when Carter questioned him about the theft Nov. 27. It wasn't clear what led police to suspect Williams was tied to the incident.

Williams told the officer that he knew about the trailer because he had a storage unit at the same facility. He admitted he had entered the trailer in the past and stolen tools, but he said the car hadn't been inside at that time, according to the complaint.

Williams told police he stole the tools to support a drug habit. He is charged with three counts of theft and one count of conspiracy in relation to the trailer theft. Williams is facing an additional theft charge for previously taking items from the trailer.

Yoder is charged with three counts of theft and one count of conspiracy.

Caldwell is facing two theft charges and a conspiracy charge. He was arrested Jan. 4 after a vehicle pursuit in Leacock Township involving state police, who knew he was wanted on numerous warrants.

Caldwell intentionally crashed the vehicle in a field on Newport Road, police said. He took off on foot but eventually was apprehended.

Both Caldwell and Williams were in Lancaster County Prison on Jan. 6 and are scheduled to be arraigned on Jan. 7.

Yoder had not been arraigned on her charges as of Jan. 6.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz2pk8jlWsW
See Mr Caldwell should just be "reformed" with about a dollars worth of firing squad bullets... clearly he hasn't learned his lesson and clearly he is not a productive member of society on multiple accounts, but no, states would rather make you and me (the law abiding citizens) pay the state $25,000 a year just to keep him alive behind bars. Yes did you pay your $68.50 to keep our great member of society alive today? Im sorry no-one accidentally breaks into a house, car, trailer, safe, etc. Clearly they arent right and probably never will be and even if they would what place would hire a thief besides bottom of the barrel jobs?

Things seemed much easier in the wild west days...
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #58
Tim Armstrong

Where is the auction ? Most insurance companies send all salvage to a pool to be sold to high bidder.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #59
1931 flamingo

I believe it's a COPART auction, ck their website OR do a search here as I believe there is a previous thread with that info and pictures.
Paul in CT If bidding, remember it will have a SALVAGE title. FWIW
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #60
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I If bidding, remember it will have a SALVAGE title. FWIW
It is relatively easy to get a real title in another state.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote