Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #1
Blown Gasket

Default Crazy temp gauge idea

This may sound like a crazy idea but when I worked I was paid to come up with crazy ideas. In my new "A" which is going to ship Monday I would like to have a temp gauge. I bought one about a year ago for my backhoe but never needed it. It's 12V and will not work on 6 so I thought about it and came up with this. I would drill the water outlet, not buy a new one and silver braze a brass fitting in it for the sender. Then buy a 12 volt sealed rechargeable battery, $20 find a place to store it, it's small. Then put a seat sensor switch in the drivers side seat so it was only on when sitting and driving. Now hide the wires as best as I can. Has it been done?

Last edited by Blown Gasket; 01-07-2021 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Blown Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Crazy temp gauge idea

Yep,gotta admit thats definitely a crazy idea.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
alexiskai

If you're committed to using it, why not put a 6V-12V step-up converter in the circuit instead?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:35 PM   #4
radiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Gasket View Post
This may sound like a crazy idea but when I worked I was paid to come up with crazy ideas. In my new "A" which is going to ship Monday I would like to have a temp gauge. I bought one about a year ago for my backhoe but never needed it. It's 12V and will not work on 6 so I thought about it and came up with this. I would drill the water outlet, not buy a new one and silver braze a brass fitting in it for the sender. Then buy a 12 volt sealed rechargeable battery, $20 find a place to store it, it's small. Then put a seat sensor switch in the drivers side seat so it was only on when sitting and driving. Now hide the wires as best as I can. Has it been done?
I think that the only reason you require power is for the light bulb, mine came with both 6 and 12 volt bulbs and I just used the 6 volt one!
radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:47 PM   #5
Blown Gasket

I have everything and don't need to buy anything. It also is simple two wire and independent of the 6V system.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:48 PM   #6
1crosscut

If power is only needed for the light then problem solved. However I think your idea is rather clever.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Yeah, I might have been a little harsh..so why not go all the way? I work on that stuff you got the gauge from. I copied the latest systems, a relay controlled fuse protected harness, relays allow my switches to see milliamps instead of full load like an A.. Not only that but I am fully expandable and using 12v I have more amperage to expand with..60a instead of the generators 30a .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail - 2020-06-16T060303.824.jpg (53.1 KB, 117 views)
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:10 AM   #8
Jordan

a new mechanical temp gauge is literally $20 at the auto stores or tractor supply. Why not just save the headache and do that since it's simple and wayyy less work than you're describing.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:28 AM   #9
Floats

Gasket
These cars have been going fine for nearly a 100 years, without a temp gauge. Why would you want a temp gauge and where would you place the gauge?
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:15 AM   #10
J Franklin

They make a motometer for your car that looks period correct and doesn't need any electricity.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:42 AM   #11
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floats View Post
Gasket
These cars have been going fine for nearly a 100 years, without a temp gauge. Why would you want a temp gauge and where would you place the gauge?
I totally agree ! Causing yourself all this work and grief for no logical reason. Let it be !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #12
Blown Gasket

When I was young nothing bothered me but now that I some how got old everything bothers me. It's like what if we go for a ride and the A breaks down, how do we get home? When you are old things both in the car and house bother you and you worry, "what if". We have a 2016 Sequoia with 25,000 miles on it and I started to worry about the battery going bad so I had the battery out of the backhoe for the winter and I put it in the back of the car with jumper cables so it my wife got stuck she could get back home. I put in a new battery a couple of weeks ago now it's good. Just you wait if you are younger, you'll see. Oh, I'm retired and have time on my hands to just play.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #13
bob from red oak

Your "crazy idea" sounds innovative and fun to make for someone with time and someone who enjoys tinkering. I simply got a digital hand held infared thermometer and it gives me accurate temps and no construction or alterations to anything on the A.
bob from red oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #14
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Gasket View Post
When I was young nothing bothered me but now that I some how got old everything bothers me. It's like what if we go for a ride and the A breaks down, how do we get home? When you are old things both in the car and house bother you and you worry, "what if". We have a 2016 Sequoia with 25,000 miles on it and I started to worry about the battery going bad so I had the battery out of the backhoe for the winter and I put it in the back of the car with jumper cables so it my wife got stuck she could get back home. I put in a new battery a couple of weeks ago now it's good. Just you wait if you are younger, you'll see. Oh, I'm retired and have time on my hands to just play.
Sounds like a AAA membership will solve some of your problems. Peace of mind is priceless!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #15
Blown Gasket

I like to sometimes make do with what I have. I worked for 20 years in the titanium industry developing welding and fabrication processes and have lots of it around. Because of my COPD I have to have my equipment do most of the work for me so I design attachments for my equipment sometimes all titanium and get the job done. Once I get the car here I will have to figure out where to place the oxygen bottles and make brackets to hold them. It's fun welding as I have to remove my cannula and hang it up about 10 feet away, weld up one stick and grab the cannula and put it back on then repeat the welding process again, don't want to blow myself up. I had thought about an Infrared thermometer but I have everything I need right here.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #16
Chris in WNC

I love having a temp gauge in my A, but your idea seems way too complicated because of both the electrical gauge and the 12v.
more things to go wrong.
non-electrical gauge from Brattons is only about $60.
let us know where you go with this and how problematic it becomes.....
Old 01-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #17
marty in Ohio

I'm also retired and have a lot of time to think about all of the "what if's." I finally convinced myself that as long as I have my AAA card and my cell phone, driving my model A was much more relaxing.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #18
77Birdman

Blown Gasket, I am the opposite (though a mere youngster at 57). I try not to let stuff bother me like it used to. Not saying Im stress free but I try my hardest to be. As far as car breakdowns, I second and third those with AAA, although the one time I really needed it I didnt use it!!!!!!
Seems like there would be easier ways to achieve what you want but what the hey, if tinkering keeps you busy and happy why not, I say move ahead full steam forward!

I know you said you had all of the parts, but would a 12v tool battery work? I saw a guy that had a racing motorcycle and he used one to start his bike. It clicked in like it would a drill/whatever, once the bike was started he pulled it out. It was easy to keep charged as well. I wouldnt think this would work but it did.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #19
Blown Gasket

AAA sound like a good idea.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #20
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
They make a motometer for your car that looks period correct and doesn't need any electricity.
I have a moto meter on mine and the only time it registers anything is when it's too late. It doesn't touch the coolant so it only reads steam. I put a temp gauge in mine and wouldn't run without it but that is just me. I would be trilled if the MM read actual coolant temp accurately but my experience is that they don't.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote