Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Zener424

Default Can incorrect main bearing oil grooves be filled in?

I purchased a used running '31 engine with low miles. Upon inspection I found it to be in very good shape. However the main bearing oil groove for the rear bearing has an additional groove cut in the center leading rearward. Other than that the bearing is in great shape. Has anyone had any success in filling incorrct bearing grooves with solder or babbitt? If so, what tool did you use to melt the solder or babbit into the groove?
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Can incorrect main bearing oil grooves be filled in?

Pictures - we like pictures!
Does the groove go right to the rear edge of the babbit?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Zener424

Yes, the groove goes right to the rear edge. Someone's bright idea I guess. I recall seeing a post a while back with the same issue and I believe one of our Senior members suggested filling it in. But I can't find the post and I don't remember who gave the suggestion.
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I suggested filling it in. Babbit would be best, but lead free solder could work also. Even lead/tin solder would be better than leaving it open. A good size soldering iron or gun like a WEN 250 should give enough heat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
tbirdtbird
BANNED

agree with '30 coupe.

In deference to Tom, I'd prolly just fill the last 1/4" using 40-60 tin-lead solder (very low melting point) and shield the rest of the bearing from heat. My only goal would be to seal the trench, and not try to provide a bearing surface. It would be very easy to ruin the bearing. You'd need a deft hand and lots of previous soldering skill....IMO
Old 12-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
agree with '30 coupe.

In deference to Tom, I'd prolly just fill the last 1/4" using 40-60 tin-lead solder (very low melting point) and shield the rest of the bearing from heat. My only goal would be to seal the trench, and not try to provide a bearing surface. It would be very easy to ruin the bearing. You'd need a deft hand and lots of previous soldering skill....IMO
Actually, that's what I meant also. Just enough to block off the flow to the end.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

an old time babbitt repair mixture---ratio of 1 lb tin, 3/4 lb half and half solder, probably close enough to use modern lead free plumbing solder---says to use muritic acid with zinc for flux, and a well tinned iron, scrape to fit
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:10 AM   #8
J Franklin

J-B Weld, I saw a running stationary engine that had a partially missing babbit repaired with the stuff.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:38 AM   #9
Synchro909

That reason I asked in post 2 whether the groove went all the way to the back of th bearing was that if it did, there is no need to do any more than block it off as others have said. If using solder, take great care. If using JB weld, make VERY sure you clean the metal before you put it on - no oil.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

There is a very high oil pressure zone in the bearing, and typically it is away from the oil drain hole. If the miscreant oil groove is in the high pressure zone and will allow the pressure to vent, it is not a good thing.

I would fill the miscreant groove by pouring melted solder into it and scraping the solder smooth to the bearing surface. The solder will be trapped in place when the bearing is assembled.

J-B Weld has a metal filler in it which gives it its strength. My guess is that the filler material may scratch the crankshaft's bearing journal.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
There is a very high oil pressure zone in the bearing, and typically it is away from the oil drain hole. If the miscreant oil groove is in the high pressure zone and will allow the pressure to vent, it is not a good thing.

I would fill the miscreant groove by pouring melted solder into it and scraping the solder smooth to the bearing surface. The solder will be trapped in place when the bearing is assembled.

J-B Weld has a metal filler in it which gives it its strength. My guess is that the filler material may scratch the crankshaft's bearing journal.

Bob,
I thought about that and decided that so long as the JB was not higher than the bearing surface, it won't scratch the journal by any more than the amount of wear in the bearing throughout its life (if it scratches at all). Depending on how much the journal has been ground down so far, this might or might not be much of an issue. A scratch of a few thou would be removed when the next rebuild is done and by that time, who knows what other damage has been done?
All that said, I would go with solder if it were mine.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
PC/SR

Sure would like to hear from Herm on this.
An old timer once told me that back in the day the hot rod boys would bronze the main caps and block saddles, finish them with solder or babbitt, file them to fit, and any repairs could be done with a soldering iron. My guess is that Bill W, the Dog, or Chief would know about that.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote