Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
HD

Default Selling parts on line

I am no longer going to sell my 50+ yrs of flathead parts on line, I am tired of dealing with RICH YUPPIES who want pictures,what did we all do before cell phone camera,s and computers, I started buying pats on Hemmings 50 yrs ago, no pictures and I never had a problem,,I am going to continue selling parts at Hershey, no problem there
HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
Topher5150

Default Re: Selling parts on line

Because it saves me from driving all day, or shelling out a bunch of money shipping parts only to find out that we were talking about different parts, or they turn out to be junk.
Topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
I am no longer going to sell my 50+ yrs of flathead parts on line, I am tired of dealing with RICH YUPPIES who want pictures,what did we all do before cell phone camera,s and computers, I started buying pats on Hemmings 50 yrs ago, no pictures and I never had a problem,,I am going to continue selling parts at Hershey, no problem there
HD, My brother shared your attitude and opinion to his demise. He'd pack up a bunch of parts and bring a lot of them back home after the swap.
Me? I stopped selling at swap meets as I got tired of guys offering me pennies on the dollar. Put the stuff on eBay and typically receive way more than I would have expected.
Sure, there's an issue now and then (very infrequently) but the positives have far outweighed the negatives.
I do all of this from the comfort of my own home, have interacted with many very nice folks and sold stuff when I chose to do so.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher5150 View Post
Because it saves me from driving all day, or shelling out a bunch of money shipping parts only to find out that we were talking about different parts, or they turn out to be junk.
Yes sir! That issue seems to be even more prevalent these days vs. decades ago.
Not 100% certain why that is but suspect there are a lot of folks selling off "dads stuff" that simply have no clue as to what they have, condition, etc.

How many times have you and I seen something advertised as "good condition for its age"?
Talk about ambiguous!

Taking a photo is easy. Much easier than filling up boxes of parts, loading a trailer, traveling to the swap, unpacking, repacking...
Old 04-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

At the rare swap meets Alice I attend these days potential customers know or learn
quickly I tend to ignore low ball bids on my stuff and sit back down on the tailgate
and look at the clouds. I love my customers and want them to think highly of me. This
philosophy does not always work out....occasionally they fire me or I fire them. If they want photos they get them....but those requests are rare.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:00 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Like it or not, Ebay, Instagram and Facebook Marketplace has changed the game. With various re-posting accounts, part ads on Instagram get to thousands of eyes around the globe instantly. It really is amazing how far reaching this can be.

With cell phones, it is so easy to send or attach picts. Clear picts and descriptions help to avoid problems or disappointments on the back end.

I don't blame folks for doing what they feel most comfortable doing, but I've sold parts for my price almost immediately on Instagram where at Hershey bottom feeders offer pennies on the dollar. I love messing with bottom feeders though and we have a good time busting balls.

You mileage may vary....

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 04-29-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:03 AM   #7
tubman

I'm with Charlie 100%. Some if the best advice I ever received was from him : "Every once in a while, you have to fire a customer".

Some of them will never be satisfied no matter what you do. Life is too short.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

I like the concept of firing the customer. I'm going to use this. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #9
Automotive Stud

I'm not rich or a yuppie but I wouldn't buy something online with no pictures. Too easy to get scammed, and it's super easy to send someone pictures these days. Sorry that's the way you feel but it's your loss on missing out on potential sales.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
TJ

Selling on line has changed the old parts world. Although I don't use e-Bay I do use this site, the V-8 Club site and Facebook Market place. Sending photos is easy to do and be honest with your description. It's a lot cheaper than loading up the pickup and spending $6 a gallon for gas to get to a swap meet. Besides you reach a wider audience for the parts.
Recently went to the Portrland Swap Meet in Oregon. Noticed a lot of vacant spaces and many of the usual commercial dealers were not there. I suspect they are also depending more on their on-line sales.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
32phil

I think it's important we as seniors (at least most of us here on the barn) embrace the new communication technology.
No different from all the other advances/aggravations elsewhere in our lives.
Recently I was shopping at an Outlet mall and my cash payment was refused. They only accepted credit/debit cards
Is it confusing and aggravating at times? Most certainly. But it does make life easier.
My 12-year-old grandson fixed my iPhone when he was 7.
It's tough to swallow our pride and ask for help but the result was worth it.
Getting a cell phone picture of a lock before having it mailed to me has saved a lot of time simply because it turns out to be aftermarket or not a style I can repair.
I have cut keys for folks from a picture. A life saver when it's the only key they have, there's no visible code and they don't want to risk losing it in the mail.
I remember having to get pictures developed of parts I advertised in Hemmings so I could mail them to a buyer only to never hear back or get my photos returned.
I'm glad those days are over!
We must adapt or get left behind.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:46 AM   #12
Dick

It may also be a reasonable offer to an unreasonable asking price.
I've encountered may sellers that think 'if it's old it's gold' and its not.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:51 PM   #13
CA Victoria

The other side of the coin is the cognitive decline we all face as we age. I have been disappointed on more than one occasion to receive a part sight unseen or via poor quality photos and a great description to find that was not as described. While most folks have taken back the items, I’m usually out the shipping.

I think the best one was a NOS model a ford rod without its original box I bought from a long time Ford Barn collector. It probably was pristine when he bought it....I received a heavily rusted rod that looked like it sat in the bottom of a box getting wet over many winters.

Ya Gotta take it in stride, told my wife to put me out of my misery if I become a grumpy old man.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #14
paul2748

I sell parts online. Much easier. The only thing I have to do is box it up and bring it to the PO I use the free selling sites. Used to use ebay for selling but they ask for too much info the last time I used it. Had a few experiences at local flea markets, going to try one this year, first in a long time. Local flea markets are cheap. I try to be fully descriptive of the parts I sell - so far so good as no one has asked for a return.

Not in the parts business, most of what I sell is spare parts. I charge shipping, actual cost.

I require pics for what I buy and send pics (electronically) for what I sell.

I bought a fairly inexpensive scale that is accurate so I don't have to run to the PO or UPS to figure shipping.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:02 PM   #15
GaryU.

I always provide pics and description when selling parts. I consider myself a Luddite but with a cell phone and digital camera there is no reason to not provide details. However I'm currently dealing with someone that at one point wanted me to weigh a K.R. Wilson engine stand, having me standing on a bathroom scale holding it and subtracting my weight because I wouldn't take it to a FedEx or UPS. store. I replied to all suggestions with a hearty no as listing was for local pickup or buyer to arrange for transport!
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:46 PM   #16
FlatTopFreddie

Not a Yuppie or even a Rich Yuppie. But I have been around the block a time or two and even been to a Country Fair. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words and sometimes they are useless.

A man is as good as his word … can’t really convey that on-line.

HD, sorry you’ve had a bad experience.
FlatTopFreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:48 AM   #17
neilp

Thumbs down Re: Selling parts on line

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
You should inform your heirs of this 50 year parts collection as you will be passing them a large burden to dispose of based on your proposed "Hershey" selling approach. Remember to tell them "no pictures " to online buyers to keep them in line.

Selling ANYTING online today takes the same effort as listing in Hemmings 20 years ago but it is much easier with todays technology. In today's world you should assume pictures are necessary in any online for sale ad and plan accordingly. If you don't then you are assumed to be a scammer or you are irrelevant.

PML
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:09 AM   #18
Terry,OH

There was a fellow on this web site selling 36 shocks without a picture. The fellow said you know what they look like so no photo was necessary. When a photo was released days later The shocks were not 36. I would not purchase anything from an individual without photos. Without the photos the seller limits the buying market.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:58 AM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatTopFreddie View Post
Not a Yuppie or even a Rich Yuppie. But I have been around the block a time or two and even been to a Country Fair. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words and sometimes they are useless.

A man is as good as his word … can’t really convey that on-line.

HD, sorry you’ve had a bad experience.
Well said.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:51 PM   #20
fifty-one f-1

As guy who got burned bad on a N.O.S. fender deal many years ago, what is the prefered method for payment when using Ebay or Instagram or even this site? Paypal, money order or something different. I like the scale idea to ballpark the weight, what is the shipping formula for distance and weight cost for UPS or Post office or other shipping choice to figure shipping costs for parts. Thanks
fifty-one f-1 is offline   Reply With Quote