Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #1
Woodie1

Default Compression Impression

We have a 1939 Ford with 85 hp engine. I did a compression test & got 75 lbs on all but 1 cylinder which was 60. This was all plugs out. It didn't crank very fast so I charged the battery & tested 1 cylinder again & got 85 lbs. This doesn't seem bad to me. The question though is I started the car up last week. It was about 30 degrees in the garage & after about 10 minutes of running I noticed steam or smoke along the driver side cylinder head next to the intake manifold. It seemed to run for several inches along the head. I don't see the steam or smoke on the other head. I thought maybe a blown head gasket but with the numbers so even it doesn't seem like the head gasket is blown. I tried to tighten the hose clamp but it wouldn't budge. I hate to pull the head & have the same problem after I put a new gasket on.
we bought the car early fall last year & didn't have a chance to put any miles on, maybe 30 or so. Wondering what the thoughts are from the barners.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Compression Impression

If it’s not mixing any water with the oil,I’d run it and see if it’s loosing any water. Pulling the head isn’t that big of a job.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
Woodie1

As far as I could tell last fall it wasn't loosing water, but then it wasn't very warm outside anymore. I just don't want to be 50 miles from home with it when it decides to blow a gasket. It was a very nice restoration years ago but I don't think it was ever driven much. Maybe an occasional car show.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #4
bobH

For whatever it's worth.... It's been running high 20's to 30's in my garage. I've been working on an engine, and I've started it several times. I've also noticed considerable water vapor coming from wherever the exhaust heat gets to first. It puzzles me because there are no obvious water sources nearby. So, I'd say don't worry about it. And, when the weather is warmer in a few months, look again. In my case, I'm betting the water vapor will not be present. But, I'm still wondering where that moisture is coming from. Got to be humidity in the air. Obviously, opinion...
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
Woodie1

I did not see the vapor last fall when I was working on it. I want to know it's good for the summer season. I have a number of items to deal with before I want to drive it this year.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #6
GB SISSON

None of us wants to be 50 miles (or a block) from home and have it quit. Compression seems kind of low for a totally restored car. Sitting is never good, but I am here to tell you that running them pretty hard with some seafoam in the the sump and some marvel mystery oil in the fuel has evened and increased compression (along with some spirited driving) in many of the long dead relics I have brought back to life. The steam? Warm it up and retorque the heads. Probably never got done with it's history. Also some of us like pictures of woodie wagons. Just sayin'
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
Woodie1

This one isn't a woody wagon. I agree with you though GB. The problems may be from sitting so long. I should check the torque.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #8
ssffnomad

Yes we need , and like pictures.
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:35 PM   #9
Tinker

The compression is low. Run-able, Might need to run a bit to see if the numbers go up before tearing it down. That's free anyways and the valves will love it.

Hard to believe you are getting those numbers on a recent rebuild. Check torques again. Easy enough to put in another head gasket.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #10
mfirth

GB is right. I'd warm it good & retorque the heads. Won'y hurt a thing. When weather allows, drive it & don't putt putt with it either. Rings & internals need to be "driven".
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #11
aussie merc

my view for what its worth if it isn't making smoke out the back or road tube, doesn't miss or isn't loosing coolant or mixing it with oil then drive it retorque the heads drive and repeat still good GO FOR IT sitting is about the worst thing you can do to them they where made as daily drivers and they love it ! Lets face it even when we retire we still like to think that we are still useful
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:41 AM   #12
Woodie1

I believe the rebuild is at least 30 years old. I will run it come warmer weather. It seems nice & peppy on take off. Don't know what cruising speed will be. Hopefully at least 55 mph. Like to keep up with traffic better than out "A" does.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
I believe the rebuild is at least 30 years old. I will run it come warmer weather. It seems nice & peppy on take off. Don't know what cruising speed will be. Hopefully at least 55 mph. Like to keep up with traffic better than out "A" does.
Keep in mind Bonnie and Clyde always stole a V8 if one was available. It wouldn't just keep up with 'traffic', it would outrun it. You will love this car!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-01-2022, 06:50 PM   #14
aussie merc

me again just a thought a little bit of two stroke oil in the fuel wont hurt anything and may help to free things up add about what you would normally use to gallon to a tank
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #15
Lanny

Also, when doing a compression test, keep the throttle held 1/4 the
way open so it can suck some air in the cylinders. It has to get air in
the cylinders to make compression.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #16
GB SISSON

I was always told a brick on the pedal..... Needs WOT for a comp test. Once and only once I started it up with the brick still there. You don't want to go there... Fortunately no damage.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #17
Frank Miller

Just because the clamp is tight does not mean you do not have a problem. I had something weird happen to me last fall. I pulled the 49 out of the garage and noticed a water leak. It was pretty bad from the bottom of the radiator. Not a drop on the floor so it just started. Tightened the clamp with no success. It was an original type clamp and I replaced it with a worm drive clamp which fixed it up.
You may have a minimal leak due to corrosion on neck. A little water accumulated and you see steam. That is where I would start or as others said just drive it and see what happens.
You can also pressure check the system and see what happens.