Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default rear axle question

I have an axle that is worn where the seal rides inside the bell . My question is the axle harden , if so how do you fix the worn grooved area ? steve
steveankc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: rear axle question

I wouldn't be concerned about it. The seal is a grease seal, not an oil seal. Its sole purpose is to guide grease pumped in through a grease fitting to the wheel bearings. If you pack the wheel bearings with grease when the drums are off all will be well.

Half the Model A's on the road have the rear axle grease seals shot and provide no purpose.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:49 AM   #3
larrys40

Excellent advice from Tom above. Do make sure your axle keys are in good shape and fit tight whenever you have your rear hubs off. Depending on axle threads I torque to 100-150 ft pounds . Sometimes new axle nuts may be needed if they fit loose on the threads.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:01 AM   #4
jimTN

If it is the inner seal you are referring to, it can be a problem because axles will snap where a groove is worn in them. If this is the area, then in order to see it, you would have to have the housing off the center section and it would be easy to replace it.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #5
[email protected]

Are the axles harden steel ?
Old 05-16-2022, 07:31 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

I believe that the rear axles are only case hardened at gear ends. Evidence for this is that the gears need to be strong and durable by design. However, it is relatively easy to deform the axle threads, the key slots and the end tapers, so these places are not hardened.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #7
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
If it is the inner seal you are referring to, it can be a problem because axles will snap where a groove is worn in them. If this is the area, then in order to see it, you would have to have the housing off the center section and it would be easy to replace it.

Jim ,
With all due respect I’m only responding because I don’t want guys to think the minor seal wear in the shaft matters. The axles will be fine. It’s a slight rotational score from the seal. I know Tom Endy agrees (see a current thread) . Like Tom, I’ve rebuilt countless hundreds of rear axles between A’s and v8’s and I’ve NEVER seen an axle break at a seal surface. It was a good therory to try and get grease from the grease fitting with the axle housing seal to block it from gong into the axle and into the hub but it takes lots of pumps to make it happen and usually it doesn’t. Remove the hubs and pack properly . Inspect your axles and housings and bearings while at it.
I have seen axles break at the key but that is because of poor hub and axle key fit usually and not torqued enough to be tight.

If you have an example of an axle break at that point please post it.

Happy Model A Motoring! Jut got back last night from our Smokey mountain trip in the 31 slant window town sedan. Good trip. Stressed the car a bit for sure.
Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 05-16-2022 at 08:48 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
[email protected]

thanks for the replies, steve
Old 05-17-2022, 12:20 AM   #9
steve warren

Here is what I did - I took my axles to a cam shop, had them build up the seal area and then ground it to the proper diameter. They do that process all the time on cams. The cost was actually pretty minimal. About $50 per axle. I got it done in Tacoma Washington about year and a half ago
steve warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:38 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Speedi-Sleeves are available for nearly every size of shaft. They are installed with Devcon plastic steel adhesive to prevent loosening. A person would need a tube the proper length to install one by driving it over the wear area. They are replaceable when they wear out.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:03 AM   #11
Jim Brierley

You can just shim behind the seal to move it over a bit. I've never seen an axle break there either, and I race these things!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
You can just shim behind the seal to move it over a bit. I've never seen an axle break there either, and I race these things!
I've been moving the seal like that for years. I've never seen one break there nor have I raced these things!!
Old 05-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #13
Jim Brierley

Syncro, You should try racing them, that's where the fun is.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote