Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2022, 10:50 PM   #21
Lanny

Default Re: Selling parts on line

I just shipped a pair of Ford steel wheels that weighed 53#'s boxed from MN to OH.
The shipping cost was $71 to a Business address there.

It is a little cheaper to an actual Business address, rather than a residential address.

I always call the Post Office, UPS and FedEx,,,FedEx is always cheaper than others.

I will say that the Post Office is the cheapest, if you can ship your stuff in a PO Flatrate box.
The PO offers a few different sizes of Flatrate boxes, none very big.

I would like to ADD, that SpeeDee, located in St. Cloud Mn. has very reasonable rates,
but they only ship to upper midwest states, MN, ND, SD, WI, IA, Ill, and NE. and You
have to call SpeeDee and see where their shipping "drop-off" stores are in your area.
I shipped a small transmission to Chicago for $40 last year

Last edited by Lanny; 04-30-2022 at 11:13 PM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:14 AM   #22
deuce lover

Here i France we have several "relay services" You drop off the pkg at signed up designated business in your town and its delivered in 3 days to a designated business in their town. 2 artillery wheels(30 lbs) cost $18 anywhere in France.Min is $5 and that was for a 97 carb.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #23
Bubsyouruncle

Haven't made a purchase or sale on-line for at least 10 years. Back then I never had a problem. Parts were as described and reasonably priced. I provided pictures for my stuff but also trusted the sellers descriptions. This thread makes me wonder how much has changed.

One of my best purchases was a full set of 8 Ford 1932 pistons, brand new, .005 oversize for $5 each. plus shipping. These were probably manufactured to refit engines that had to have a slight rebore because of cylinder surface problems.

My plan, at the time, was to have my 1935? block (which had been bored .080 oversize) rebored to take sleeves and then rebore the sleeves to .005 oversize.

The pistons are still in the box (Ford boxes, by the way).

And the block is still .080 over.

BTW, David, I have your two books because of my daughters. Thank you.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:38 PM   #24
DavidG

You're welcome! You've thoughtful daughters.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:30 PM   #25
jstrez5

you can say what you want or believe what you want but a judge once told me when i showed him the pictures he said to the gentlemen after looking at them PITCHERS DONT LIE END OF CASE . TRUE STORY I WON THE CASE.
jstrez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:42 PM   #26
Karl

If you live overseas you have no real option but to buy online. Hershey is 12000 miles from me ( but I hope to get there one day ) . Our domestic market is small - I suspect that Ford probably built all the cars that came to New Zealand in 1934 in about 2 days. We do have swap meets and you can find good and rare stuff there sometimes but rarely. Personally I'm not going to buy anything and ship it at probably 5 to 10 times the cost of the part to find out its not what I thought it was because there is no photo.

The internet is the greatest aid to sellers and buyers ever invented . I think if you choose not to use it you are shooting yourself in the foot -but hey its your foot !

Karl
Old 05-03-2022, 05:35 AM   #27
nickthebandit

I have been selling parts for more than 50 years. I used to sell, or buy, at 20 or more flea markets every year. Now that I am 81 years old, I only sell at 2, but I do go to about10-12 a year to buy, or kibitz with people. I sell on line, and put pictures in my ads. If I answer someone's wanted ad I always ask if they would like pictures. they usually want pictures which I send them. My reputation means a lot to me.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #28
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthebandit View Post
I have been selling parts for more than 50 years. I used to sell, or buy, at 20 or more flea markets every year. Now that I am 81 years old, I only sell at 2, but I do go to about10-12 a year to buy, or kibitz with people. I sell on line, and put pictures in my ads. If I answer someone's wanted ad I always ask if they would like pictures. they usually want pictures which I send them. My reputation means a lot to me.
"My reputation means a lot to me" Amen to that statement Nick. It's the one thing we take with us when we leave the planet.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:05 PM   #29
deuce_roadster

As for the pictures, how do you know the picture is of the part being sold? I have had a seller say back to me "That picture was to show what the part looks like, not the actual part being sold" Of course, that info isn't included with the picture. That is the bread and butter of scammers, look a part up , take a picture of a nice one, and then claim they have it for sale.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #30
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
As for the pictures, how do you know the picture is of the part being sold? I have had a seller say back to me "That picture was to show what the part looks like, not the actual part being sold" Of course, that info isn't included with the picture. That is the bread and butter of scammers, look a part up , take a picture of a nice one, and then claim they have it for sale.
Good point and this is where reputation comes into play. On Instagram, to prevent some level of scamming, people place their business card or some other identifier in the pict to prove it's not one grabbed from the internet.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote