Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1932 Ford Roadster Street Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
There are some things I don't like at all (the air cleaner, the turn signals, and the automatic transmission).
Yup, I agree....for starters! Those ALL suck, as well as a whole bunch more! All of that 'bling' on the engine is about enough to gag a maggot. I'd be much happier if that off-brand engine looked more like BELOW. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:54 PM   #22
deuce_roadster

To me it looks like what around here we call a UPS car. All the parts were bought online, arrived in a brown truck and was assembled. I agree with a previous poster that you couldn't build it for the current price bid. Especially with shipping even if you could get all the parts which I am sure 50% would be backordered.
Was told recently nobody has sbc cam bearings.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #23
bobH

Ref back to post 4 and 5.... And, ref to the video presentation... Me thinks there is a good possibility that (at least) the frame is presented accurately. I think there is a good possibility that the frame is indeed a genuine 32 boxed frame, as is (loosely) claimed. And, the VIN that is presented is a genuine 32 VIN. So, the stamping might not be correct, but there often is an explanation for that. And, I believe I'm seeing quality P&J's chassis components. So, I'm thinking that some of the comments here are a bit 'harsh', and I would reserve my thoughts for an in-person inspection. Sure, I agree with the excessive 'bling' comment.
sbc cam bearings... got some a couple weeks ago. In stock at my local 'place'.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:21 PM   #24
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Yup, I agree....for starters! Those ALL suck, as well as a whole bunch more! All of that 'bling' on the engine is about enough to gag a maggot. I'd be much happier if that off-brand engine looked more like BELOW. DD

Some people like that crap; which underscores my position that this forum is a poor place to ask about this car.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #25
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Some people like that crap; which underscores my position that this forum is a poor place to ask about this car.
Denny's position hits the nail on the head but once AGAIN! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #26
Ol' Ron

Tubman
Good point. I have a friend with a glass duce body, and Flathead plowed, great build and a real fine car for long drives. Been on the road for the past 1/13 years and you can't tell it glas, even when standing next to it.
Paul Garagns 34 was glass as well. I was it it fir several days before I knew it.
Gramps
However SBC are a NO NO NO NO
G
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:13 AM   #27
tubman

YEP YEP YEP YEP, you're right! The only places they are acceptable in are early Corvettes and boats.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #28
Tim Ayers

As I get older, I am really starting to appreciate SBC's. Cheap, reliable, can look nice if done right. You can spend 4X's as much for a hi po flathead and still not even come close the HP or performance of a SBC, but that is a discussion for another time.

I still prefer flatheads to SBC's, but they do have their place in certain cars.

I dream of having a '35 Roadster with an aluminum 427 SBC mated to a 6 speed. Make it look stock-ish and blow the doors off a lot of lookers. Total tire frier!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #29
Krylon32

Right now if you have a hankering for a glass 32 There's a really nice one built by the legendary Dick Schritfield over HAMB. I've built one glass roadster back in the early 70's and I really stressed over the build to make it look like steel. Little did I know back in 1972 you could still buy the real thing for a reasonable price. Since then all my deuce roadsters have been steel. Currently starting another FH powered deuce roadster.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #30
Karl Wescott

Gentlemen... Gentlemen... (and Ladies too), One of the great things about the Fordbarn has been the courtesy and acceptance of all. If a car or question is outside the expertise of most of the members the acceptable response has been a polite pointer to a forum that might be more capable of answering the question. Those that enjoy getting stomped on can easily do so over on the HAMB, or even in the A forum.

Personally the badmouthing of fiberglass as a medium, rather than how well its use in a particular application is executed, is offensive. Sorry, thats my profession and the attitude hurts. If you do not like fiberglass and will not use it thats fine by me, but not the bullying of those who do to justify poor quality restoration of original, or poor quality non-fiberglass replacements.

What was missing in this thread was an objective critique of the fit and finish of this particular car (especially in comparison to original Ford practice which this forum should be expert at), and direction (Fordbarn V8 forum is NOT the place) for discussion on the merits of technical fiberglass manufacture and structural reinforcing strategy. I am not going to step in on this publicly, Its wrong for me to point out all I might feel is wrong in a competitors product especially where there are valid options and I may be arbitrarily opinionated.

Lets keep this about helping each other with questions and answers, and the occasional showing off of neat stuff.

Karl
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #31
deuce_roadster

Karl, does your website have a forum for finished bodies produced by your company? I would think that would be wildly popular. I am sure you know the numbers of units out there and there MUST be way more 32 roadsters that left your factory then left Dearborn. I remember when your Dad made the only option for the average guy when the real ones were (and still are) WAY more expensive. With the price of bodywork these days fixing a rusted out messed up body makes little sense. Everyone knows your bodies with the metal reinforcing is superior to all the other cheap versions. If there isn't a forum for glass cars only, you should create one.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:48 AM   #32
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Karl, does your website have a forum for finished bodies produced by your company? I would think that would be wildly popular. I am sure you know the numbers of units out there and there MUST be way more 32 roadsters that left your factory then left Dearborn. I remember when your Dad made the only option for the average guy when the real ones were (and still are) WAY more expensive. With the price of bodywork these days fixing a rusted out messed up body makes little sense. Everyone knows your bodies with the metal reinforcing is superior to all the other cheap versions. If there isn't a forum for glass cars only, you should create one.

No fourm, a few photos posted but I have to be careful that we have the photo copyright (its a business...) and I do not have the technical expertise to make a forum happen.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #33
Krylon32

If the roadster the OP is showing had a Wescott body it would be a good buy. I have a friend who recently bought his Wescott bodied 32 roadster back. I sold him the body and chassis about 20 years ago and the body looks as good as the day I sold it.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #34
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Tubman
Good point. I have a friend with a glass duce body, and Flathead plowed, great build and a real fine car for long drives. Been on the road for the past 1/13 years and you can't tell it glas, even when standing next to it.
Paul Garagns 34 was glass as well. I was it it fir several days before I knew it.
Gramps
However SBC are a NO NO NO NO
G
Ron.... Absolutely amazing. Paul was a very active member here, shared a wealth of flathead knowledge, and created his large collection of notes and wisdom. I never spent several days with him, like you did on the Bonneville trip, but I DID spend HOURS looking over, and lusting over, that car (at SoCal Speed shop, Father's Day event). In my wildest dreams, I would NEVER have guessed that car was glass. And, he, for sure, NEVER mentioned it. This sure blows away, and makes 'insignificant', some of the opinions expressed here.
Yes, just my opinion. Paul was head & shoulders above the majority here.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #35
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Ron.... Absolutely amazing. Paul was a very active member here, shared a wealth of flathead knowledge, and created his large collection of notes and wisdom. I never spent several days with him, like you did on the Bonneville trip, but I DID spend HOURS looking over, and lusting over, that car (at SoCal Speed shop, Father's Day event). In my wildest dreams, I would NEVER have guessed that car was glass. And, he, for sure, NEVER mentioned it. This sure blows away, and makes 'insignificant', some of the opinions expressed here.
Yes, just my opinion. Paul was head & shoulders above the majority here.
Yup!

Ron & Paul on Bonneville trip....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 02-21-2022 at 03:26 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:16 PM   #36
Ol' Ron

We spent 4 weeks together, and I took over 900 pictures of the trip. I bought a video camera soon after. In07 Paul came to Vermont to visit, wasn't feeling well and had trouble with his brakes. Got them fixed and sent him on his way. I miss him.
Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #37
1937cab

What a pair to draw to. Ron, you don't look like you have aged a day
1937cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:32 PM   #38
Ol' Ron

And I lost 45 lbs
g