Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #21
McMimmcs

Default Re: Looking for commiseration

The cantankerous bitch is rebelling because you called her a man! It’s Henry’s Lady.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I’m with you. It’s your car, call it whatever makes sense to you.

Naming a car a female name is just an unwritten rule, like in Baseball that is made to be broken.

In my case, they are just a piece of metal, so I’ve never named a car and probably never will. I just drive and enjoy them. I do develop an attachment and hate to sell them or trade them in. It’s my wife who reminds me It time to move on.

David Serrano
I have never named a car either but some in our club do. I just refer to my Town Sedan as "The Old Girl" mainly because she can be grumpy some days and she drips a little...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #23
burner31

Model A enjoyment factor

-97.3% driving enjoyment
-77.2% working on it enjoyment
-23% enjoyment making up new cuss words while working on it
-100% enjoying other people enjoying it

I know it doesn't add up...but it doesn't have to
Enjoy the car as dear old Dad did
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #24
Karl

When I've brought my Model A's (always running) I've always budgeted 15% of the purchase price to go through them and get things right. Often this is undoing previous "fixs" . However once properly fixed and driven regularly I find them pretty reliable . I think many A's are under used which I believe is worse for them than regular use
Old 08-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #25
ronn

the name thing is a bit "odd"..........................

not like its your pet.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #26
jg61hawk

This thread has changed colors in so much as we are talking about enjoyment vs misery...I will admit there is a great sense of well being just hanging out with a car that is truely a part of history in soooo many ways. Mine is not restored at all, in fact just the opposite to the point I have a record to it's birth of owners and the actual NJ Bill of Sales until the previous owner's dad bought it for her in 1937 and she had it her entire life and sold it to me in 2014...I never knew these people but now her son and I talk often, and I keep her picture and her husbands (both now deceased) in my garage. Weird??? No not in a very Model A way...great life. The car sports its original engine and as far as I can tell all it's Ford metal and welting and stuff...the wood it is cracked, the irons pitted and the leaks are numerous...but drive we do and she goes well...glad I think to run.

Not being a braggard I hope but here's a link to previous thread as far as naming cars... I have to call her Myrt! https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294142

Last edited by jg61hawk; 08-18-2021 at 03:49 PM.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #27
GerryAllen

My car is named Sweet Pea. When things are frustrating at work, I just walk by the office manager's desk, tell her to hold all cars as i am taking Sweet Pea for a drive. Now she see's me walking down the hallway, tells me not to grind too many and she will hold all calls.
I love my A.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #28
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
Don't be discouraged, I bought minefour years ago and for the first 6 months sat there and wrung my hands "what am I going to do"
Don't make the car your frustration, make it a challenge in your Dads name to get it running to your standards and enjoy.
I now have 20,000 miles on it, and after not restoring it it but maintaining and fixing what has to be done, it has turned out to be a very reliable car. Don't over think it, join a Model A Club and seek out knowledgeable people from the club to help you with the items needing attention. When the guys come over to help, don't be cheap. offer them lunch a gift certificate from the tool store or Star Bucks'.
Since our engines were reborn a week apart, I just thought I would let you know, at 40,000, I pulled a half shim on the mains, and a half on number one rod. The other three I just lightly sanded the caps.However I drive Maggie May quite hard. It’s good to see you’re still having a good time. Chuck. PS: NOT going back to Canada! Maybe you didn’t know, but they interrogated me for an hour regarding 40 year old “incidents”, when Benny did the Can Am tour.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote