Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2023, 12:52 AM   #1
bigmegina

Default horn light switch play

my horn and light switch work but light switch has what seams alot of play in it.is this normal,if not possible problem and fix.thanks.
bigmegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 11:49 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: horn light switch play

I would suggest removing the light switch body from the bottom of the column and inspecting the spider ears and the mating slots in the light switch housing. If they look OK then the spider and it's spring will have to be compressed to remove the C clip that holds the spider on to the square drive of the light switch/horn rod. There may be a lot of wear on that square drive or in it's corresponding square socket in the spider.

It's bound to have some play just to fit together and function but a person should be able to detect whether that play is excessive or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 06:08 AM   #3
nkaminar

When you compress the spring to take the spider off, tape or put a yard stick across the steering wheel to keep the horn/light switch from moving up. Use some strong string to compress the spring to help to put it back in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1530.jpg (53.5 KB, 33 views)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:22 PM   #4
Bigsnapper43

After many years of talking to Jeasus while fighting the spring and horse shoe clip I bought the $7 tool. Itis the best tool I own!!!
Bigsnapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:13 AM   #5
Wick

Find a original light switch and spyder if possible, when done correctly the switch will Click when you turn the lights on. I demonstrated this to a lot of folks at Hershey this year.
Hint; find the nastiest caked on dirt and grease light switch at a swap meet, give a dollar for it!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #6
Brentwood Bob

What Wick said.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:44 PM   #7
Rob Doe

I had a worn out aftermarket switch. It worked poorly. The switch plate on the harness was too thick. I bought a switch plate from Tyree Harris 804-556-5200, and a new, not-so-cheap light switch from one of the vendors that is made to exact specs of the Ford drawings. Be sure to get the matching bale. I still have the old harness wires, but all new switch and switch plate.

The switch plates are supposed to be .310-.315??? long term memory. Lots of harnesses with a too thick switch plate and repo cheap switches got out there. You can file the too thick switch plate and struggle or get the good stuff. I was frustrated and driving at night too.

Good luck
Old 11-21-2023, 08:52 PM   #8
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Doe View Post
I had a worn out aftermarket switch. It worked poorly. The switch plate on the harness was too thick. I bought a switch plate from Tyree Harris 804-556-5200, and a new, not-so-cheap light switch from one of the vendors that is made to exact specs of the Ford drawings. Be sure to get the matching bale. I still have the old harness wires, but all new switch and switch plate.

The switch plates are supposed to be .310-.315??? long term memory. Lots of harnesses with a too thick switch plate and repo cheap switches got out there. You can file the too thick switch plate and struggle or get the good stuff. I was frustrated and driving at night too.

Good luck

Yep, the Tyree Harris harness is perfecto.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote