Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Jake H.

Default Drake '39 DeLuxe headlight lenses issue

Has anyone else had an issue fitting the repro lenses to their original buckets?

I called and spoke with a rep. at Drake's today, and he said they are cast a little too thick at the edge, and sometimes need "grinding down".

Well, I'm glad my cousin is a glazier, and has the equipment to remove the material without mangling my new lenses.

I compared them to my (cracked) originals, and the repro. lenses definitely have at least another 1/8" of glass buildup around the edges, maybe more at top and bottom. Combine that with thick lens to bucket sealing gaskets, and it's nearly impossible to get them to seat right, and fit the stainless ring over the whole deal.

Wish me luck. I'm beginning to lose my romance with the '39 headlights. Thoughts of sticking '40 sealed beam assemblies in have crossed my mind a few times, this week.
Jake H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Drake '39 DeLuxe headlight lenses issue

I love the look of our '39's "tear drop" headlights but for practical night driving purposes I installed a set of "road lamps" with high and low beams. Now when we drive at night I can see the road ahead for a good distance. Fortunatly, the original lens are good in our '39 so I kept the "tear drops".
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Paul Selfe

I bought clear lenses and Halogen conversions for my 39 std. and I had to do some grinding around the edges before they would fit. Paul Selfe.
Paul Selfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Jake H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Selfe View Post
I bought clear lenses and Halogen conversions for my 39 std. and I had to do some grinding around the edges before they would fit. Paul Selfe.

What did you use to grind down the material? And how far down did you go? I guess I can just match the relative thickness of the original lenses that I have.

I'm thinking I can rely on my cousin's big belt/wet sander that he uses to radius and bevel tempered glass.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Kube

I am certain Drakes catalog said you had to grind them to make them fit (sarcasm). Just one more reason I won't deal with them.
Tell me, anyone, why would they continue to sell something they KNOW is crap? More sarcasm...
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Jake H.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't want to start a Drake-bashing thread with this, though. I've been very happy with nearly everything I've purchased from them.

And I'm grateful for much of the hard-to-find parts that do fit just fine, that Drake has been making for years, now.

It's just been an uphill battle with my car to get the '39 headlights all together. It had those hideous sealed beam conversions on it, when I bought it, and I've pieced together everything needed, the hard way.

The new lenses were going to be the icing on the cake. And I'm just getting impatient with yet another speed bump.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Al NJ

How hard is it to find decent originals? I ask because I have a '39 and really like the original headlights also.
Al NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Paul Selfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake H. View Post
What did you use to grind down the material? And how far down did you go? I guess I can just match the relative thickness of the original lenses that I have.

I'm thinking I can rely on my cousin's big belt/wet sander that he uses to radius and bevel tempered glass.
I used a small die grinder with a 1-1/2 in. wheel stone. First, I checked to find each spot that was interferring, and marked with a black marker. Kept trying and grinding until everything fit ok. Use a rubber sponge mat to lay the glass on, it will absorb some of the vibration. Don't try to overdue it, take your time. Paul Selfe.
Paul Selfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I love the look of our '39's "tear drop" headlights but for practical night driving purposes I installed a set of "road lamps" with high and low beams. Now when we drive at night I can see the road ahead for a good distance. Fortunatly, the original lens are good in our '39 so I kept the "tear drops".
Vic, I like the idea of using the road lamps and didn't realize they were available with both high & low beams. Where did you get them?
John R.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
charles in east texas

Vic, I would also like to know where you got the driving lights.
Charles @ [email protected]
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Vic Piano

I got the road lamps from Harris Custom Design/Rodtiques in Rockland, MA, the phone number is: 617-605-4165. Ask for Dave Harris, he has them in both 6 & 12 volts and they are high & low beam units. They are 7" road lamps, I have a set on our '39 LZ as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Jake H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al NJ View Post
How hard is it to find decent originals? I ask because I have a '39 and really like the original headlights also.
They're out there. I got a pair at a swap meet for $40, but then discovered they had some harline cracks going vertically from the top edge, down. Probably overtightened in the past. They also are considerably discolored, compared to the new repops that I got from Drake.