Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default Lifting a 1932 Coupe body of the chassis...

In a couple different threads on this early V8 website, I started discussions about the horrible hydraulic brake conversion my friend's 1932 five-window Coupe suffered, as well as other "modifications' this poor car has been subjected to. Because someone butchered the K-member and all else that is wrong in that area of the chassis, we have ordered a new K-member with brake and clutch pedals, plus a master cylinder. There's no saving the old K-member. Yeah, it's that bad. In order to install the new K-member, the old one, of course, has to be removed. Studying posted photos of a bare chassis and scans of new K-member assemblies, it's plain to see that the rivets along top of the frame will be all but impossible to drill out with the body in place. And apparently there are at least 14 of them! Even if they were more conveniently placed, it would appear that the job will be easier, safer and more satisfactory if the body is removed, or at least lifted high enough from the chassis so that the rivet heads can be drilled out. I would prefer to only lift the body up and place it on strong bases rather than completely remove it. Feasible? If not, then we'll take whole body off.

Towards either end, body bolts and firewall attachments will need to be removed, as well as the rear fenders. If we lift the body up, we might not need to take out the wiring through the firewall or steering column. After watching assembly line film clips of 1932 bodies being lowered onto the chassis, I see that the firewall is in place first and the body is set over it. We only need to separate the body from the firewall up front, correct? The hood must come off, no matter which route we take. I have removed dozens of Model A and T bodies from their frames, but never a behemoth like a V8 Ford body! My question is: Can four people lift the body up high enough to place blocks between it and the frame if we remove as much weight as possible, such as the doors and seats? And if we have to actually remove the body completely, the steering column, shifter and dash wiring additionally need to be first removed, correct? Anything else? I assume the gas tank does not need to come out going either route. Any idea how much the Coupe body minus doors and seats might weigh? Any special tricks to accomplish this feat? 'Got lots of those for Model A's and T's, but this will be a new experience for me. No access to an overhead lift and I don't think an engine cherry picker can lift the body high enough for our purposes. Manpower???
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: Lifting a 1932 Coupe body of the chassis...

Hi; I've seen numerous heavy wood structures used for this job and they can be 'temporary'; 6x6 posts ect. well braced would hold that weight. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
DavidG

All that follows assumes that the sills of the body retain their structural integrity (not uncommon as '32 bodies are not as prone to sill "aging" from oxidation as those immediately following. Four healthy, strong, young persons can readily lift the body high enough (or completely off the chassis) to accomplish what you want if you remove the weight of the doors and seat. A fully trimmed '32 standard coupe body without the optional rumble seat had a shipping weight of 551 pounds when new according to Ford's archived General Traffic Department records.

If you want to remove or raise just the body and leave the firewall in place on the chassis you will need to lift the body slightly as the body has to come back a couple of inches to clear the firewall (sort of the reverse of what you saw in the film clips).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Marshall .....This the easiest way that I have ever seen (other than the "Four-Guy" method) to raise/move a Ford closed car body from a frame. I've shown two pics so that you see the simple contraption to build using a 4 X 4 post for your cherry picker, and the second pic to show rough placement in body, padded and with doors open. EASILY controllable with two guys.

I think that with both doors open at 90º (weight forward) on a coupe, and with the beam placed at rear of door-opening, it'll probably balance pretty well, fore/aft. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
glennpm

I like it!
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
rockfla

Marshall
Not sure where OR what resources you have available to you. We lifted a 33 Fordor off the frame in our garage with two 4 X 4's and 4pcs of 1/2 X 6' allthread rod, nuts and washers. We used the wood rafters of the garage, ran a 4 X 4 between two of the rafters drilled a hole and dropped the 1/2 allthread with nut and washer through the hole hanging down. Then took a 4 x 4 x 8 and drill two holes on both ends.....Then opened the front doors and slid the 4 X 4 X 8' through the front of the body, put the allthread through the holes on the 4 x 4 and put nuts and washers on it. Did the same through the back door openings and used the nuts and allthread to lift the body AND you also have a support system once you get it where you need it!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
DavidG

Robert,

Very creative!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Robert,

Very creative!
An Idea I wish I could have taken credit for BUT was the brain child of a extremely smart retired Ship Captain from Maine who lived around the corner from us MANY years ago (1974ish). He look at what we were trying to accomplish and with-in 5 minutes, designed our solution above!!! Some of that "Yankee" ingenuity I have always heard about.

The Coupe "might" be able to accomplish the same with "ONE" well placed 4 x 4 at the rear-most part of the door opening???? Although IF the rear windows are out I'd do two 4 x 4 for more stability!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
1931 flamingo

I think you'll be better off removing body WITH the firewall attached. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote