Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Rain Gutter Issue

Pilotdave, it looks like clear silicone may be smeared on the roof by the welting. In the first picture it looks thin and inward a few inches. Have you tried to rub it off by simply pressing your bare hand on it and pulling towards the welt? It may peel off easily.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
Pilotdave

Tom, I've looked again at the pictures and see what you are referring to. There is some sealant above the welting in some spots. I will investigate further when I get back down to the barn to see if it can be rubbed off - just got the shop heater back on line this afternoon and can actually warm up the place!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The last time i needed them all that was available was the alum jobs that needed to be bent...
i thought i saw that pre bent gutters are available , did anyone try them yet???
Thanks
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #24
David L. Holloway

How did you bend the aluminum channel gutter and cleat to smooth curve without crimping or distorting them?
David L. Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. Holloway View Post
How did you bend the aluminum channel gutter and cleat to smooth curve without crimping or distorting them?
What body style are you working on
Old 10-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Vermins' PERFECT roof, installed in 2002, has NO rain gutters, only perfectly installed HIDE-EM WELT. Will I change it??? HELL NO!!!!
SA Dad
Old 10-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #27
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. Holloway View Post
Yeah X2 Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #28
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Pilotdave, it looks like clear silicone may be smeared on the roof by the welting. In the first picture it looks thin and inward a few inches. Have you tried to rub it off by simply pressing your bare hand on it and pulling towards the welt? It may peel off easily.
Our Tudor roof had a heavy over coat of silicone sealant across the front and back seams. Too much to rub and pull off by handwork alone. Home Depot sells a bathtub sealant remover that helped.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #29
David L. Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
What body style are you working on
I am new to forum. Trying to figure out how to navigate. I have a 1930 Tudor missing original rain gutters. I have been waiting 1 year for backordered preformed steel gutters. I was told that the only source for these has stopped production and do not know when (if ever) they will be available again. So I ordered the straight aluminum ones. I cannot see how these can be bent on the axis necessary to match body curve without distortion. If the gutter and cleat are bent together as unit, can they be popped apart to install the cleat to roof and then put back together properly?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Wow I bought the prebents about a year ago and they worked beautiful.. Did u check around with all the suppliers? Maybe someone has some left.. Before the prebents were available I dealt with the straight jobs which are doeable. No you can't bent the tack strip with it.. When I did my straight job I cut the tack strip at the bent area and made a few separate sections to make the curve.. It worked great as I found it to difficult to bend it and would have F'ed it up. All this being said I think I have some good originals left in my shed if ur interested .
Old 10-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #31
David L. Holloway

I am definitely interested in some original gutters if you find them. I expect shipping would be awkward. I am located at 1963 Windcrest Drive, Lilburn, GA. phone (678)908-6654 I have checked with several national suppliers for the new ones.