Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Unhappy Double Cluching

So Im having a hell of a time double cluching. Everytime I try to shift i get grind grind. She goes into first fine, goes into reverce fine; but up shifting or down shifting it grinds i dont know how many Rpms i need to get it to to double cluch. I understand that i cluch put in neutral, rev engen, then cluch and put in gear is there any thing I am doing wrong is there a secret to it? I just got the old girl registerd yesterday and am trying to figurre it out without breaking her.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Sparky

Default Re: Double Cluching

Upshifting is much easier than downshifting. When upshifting, push clutch in, put lever in neutral, let clutch out, allow engine revs to drop, then clutch in to change to higher gear. Typically your can let the the engine speed drop almost to idle before engaging a higher gear.

Downshifting is much trickier; you need to get a feel for how much to 'blip' the throttle to match the revs.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

You only rev the engine when downshifting. When upshifting you take you foot off the gas and let the clutch out briefly. Find a local club member to give you a demo.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
TinCup

You didn't state at what speeds you were shifting at but I will give you my procedures.
Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear between 10 and 15 mph. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd between 20 and 25. If I push any harder than this I will get a little grind. 2nd to 3rd is for most the place where grind is noticed and the need for double clutching. Remember no synchonized gears so no down shifting. There are several nice videos on youtube of double clutch procedures.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
28 Special Coupe

I'm definitely no expert but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I push the clutch, shift into neutral, release the clutch, push the clutch, and then shift into the next gear. I don't rev the engine while in neutral. As long as I do everything quickly and smoothly it works without any grinding. I haven't quite mastered downshifting yet, though.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Dan Baron

All the above got it right, Follow Sparky's advice on up shifting, Charlie's advice on down shifting and Tin Cup's advice as to when to shift. I'm sure we all still grind a pound every now and then.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
RonC

my son took this video of me double clutching my 31 sport coupe

https://www.youtube.com/user/1931fordmodela
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
V4F

great video . study it & then try it . "double clutching" , in mho , is just for timing . it lets the motor slow down to match the trans . its a rhythm thing . learn to up shift b 4 you try down shifting .................... steve
Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Even with good technique, sometimes it takes the oil in the trans a while to warm to a consistancy that is good for the countershaft motion. After it gets above the optimum temperature the oil gets thinner and changes characteristics again. Some tranys just like to buzz a bit more than others.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
b ramsey

why double clutch at all? seems like more wear and tear. i just pull it out gear, let my foot off the throttle, "rest" the shifter on the next gear and when shes ready she will slide right in. smooth operation.
b ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
Fred
BANNED

Ok, 1928 pick up---- Do you still have the 1928 Multi Disc. clutch assy ??..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
TerryH

You definitely need to pause a little but when upshifting....the rpm needs to drop to a lower level, so don't rush it. Downshifting is much trickier, as they have said, you do need to "blip" the throttle to get the rpm up...the faster you are going, the more of a "blip" you will need. With practice you will get a feel for this to where it is second nature. When downshifting, I also move the lever slowly...if I have not got the rpm quite right, I can feel the gears slightly grinding and then re-blip if necessary. If you try to just jam it, then it will really grind if the speed is not synchronized.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Dusty

I thought that double clutching would be a pain in rear but now I do it without evening knowing I'm doing it. Down shifting is a bit more tricky but I do it like butter now. Well most of the time
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
steve s

The above concensus is right. Only rev the motor when downshifting.

Here's a bit that I didn't see mentioned that might help you, and maybe disagree with Terry: In the second phase of the double clutch, the shift lever (into your new gear) should follow as close as possible depressing the clutch pedal--almost but not quite like one movement.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
Patrick L.

There really is no need to double-clutch the up-shift[take your time and just shift normally and slowly], but, it will help you gain timing,experience and muscle memory for down-shifting.. Some of the fellas state that they 'blip' on the down-shifts,, I don't.. I just raise the engine speed to where I think it needs to be and leave it there, shift, let the clutch out and not change foot position on the throttle at all.. All this is, is, practice, practice and more practice.. So,there is more than one way of doing this, so which ever way you like the best will work.. But, don't worry, whenever you have an audience will be the time you make the worst shift of your life.. We've all been there and have had to buy the t-shirt..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
vtwinsideways

1928Pickuppain, What are you using in the trans for lubrication and where did you get it? Luke
vtwinsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
Model "A" Fords

It isn't manditory to double clutch to change gears it's just one way to get the job done. The only object is to make the transition to and from gears smooth and quiet because grinding meens things are wearing.
I've always double clutch my model A's because that is what I was shown 50 years ago. When my roadster is cold I double clutch and touch the gas while in neatral for up or down shifting. After a few miniutes on the road it works ok without using the gas for up shifting but I still touch the gas while down shifting. My sedan, Moms Phaeton and my Brothers sedan all have their own little personalities that work for them.
Some people only single clutch by gaining the right timing and finesse that works for them and their car. The "A" can be power shifted (Not using the clutch at all) if you get enough practice but most people don't drive them enough to make it work and you can do alot of dammage while learning.
Once you figure out your cars personality it will be automatic which ever your method you use.
Happy driving!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
james hitchcock

I double clutched for so long that when ever I drove any other modern stick it was hard not to do so.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
HoarseWhisperer

I double clutched for so long that I frequently attempt it in my modern iron, till' I realize it's an automatic.
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #20
steve s

A few years ago there was an article in Skinned Knuckles urging us to double clutch our classsic cars even if they have synchronizers. Apparently, synchronizers wear out, which can really be a problem with antique transmissions.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote