Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
ahoogakev

Default Was Anti-squeak Material used under the Windshield Header Wood?

Hello A Gang; I have a quick question please, I am preparing to mount a part on my car ( I don't know the correct name for it) What it is, is the metal cover, that goes under the roof visor,but above the windshield, and wraps around the wood header, ending up visible inside the car, above the windshield.
I am wondering if Ford would have placed anti-squeak tape between the wood header, and this piece of metal, or maybe even wool,to protect against rattles? Unfortunately my cars header was rotted out and so I am unable to see if it had any originally, I have the same problem in my other car.
If anyone happens to know what Ford originally did at that location, I would much appreciate it! I am sure friction tape would be a good idea UNLESS it will result in my windshield not fitting properly, I'd like to get it right the first time. Thanks in advance for your kind help! Kevin

ahoogakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Gus

Default Re: Was Anti-squeak Material used under the Windshield Header Wood?

I have used a modern weather-proof sealant (from a tube, you can't see it) to prevent water getting in. I would guess Henry used some sort of anti-squeek tape? My reasoning was it was not visible so I would prefer the weather tightness over originality.

Someone else can probably comment on the purist point of view?

gus
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Bruce_MO

For '30/'31 closed cars (not slant windshield), there is a piece of beaded welting between the wooden header and the windshield header panel. So all you will see is the bead curving along the top of the header panel just below the underside of the visor. I don't recall the exact diameter of the beaded welting...either the same as gas tank welting or fender welting.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
ahoogakev

Thanks Bruce and Gus, yes I know that a welting is used at the top near the visor, but its the bottom side against the wood that I am really wondering about, I think I am more enclined to try friction tape,as I see Ford used a lot around the gas tank area so maybe he would have used some here too?
I suppose I will find out just how tight it all is when I go to put it on,maybe there will be no room for any.Thanks again,Kev.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoogakev View Post
Thanks Bruce and Gus, yes I know that a welting is used at the top near the visor, but its the bottom side against the wood that I am really wondering about, I think I am more enclined to try friction tape,as I see Ford used a lot around the gas tank area so maybe he would have used some here too?
I suppose I will find out just how tight it all is when I go to put it on,maybe there will be no room for any.Thanks again,Kev.
Kev,

If I were you, I would follow Gus's idea of sealant. Ford used what they called "dum-dum" in those areas, as Gus says, to prevent moisture from entering...just the use of friction tape will not do the job I do not think.

See page 355 of the June 1929 Ford Service Bulletins for more information. That may apply to later vehicles also.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Doug in NJ

My S/W sedan had lots of the friction-tape-like material between the various parts of the windshield header. That model's header has a lot of overlapping parts, listed roughly from top to bottom:

1: the wood
2: the angle iron (part of the body structure) that the wood rests on.
3: The stamped metal header cover.
4: The inner trim piece (that you can see from inside the car).
5: The windshield hinge.

All the pieces had the tape between them, except the trim piece and the hinge, which had a rubber gasket.

This whole assembly is a big moisture trap, so you should take extra care when assembling it. I used butyl rubber caulk to completely seal the rubber gasket.

Doug
Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NJ View Post
My S/W sedan had lots of the friction-tape-like material between the various parts of the windshield header. That model's header has a lot of overlapping parts, listed roughly from top to bottom:

1: the wood
2: the angle iron (part of the body structure) that the wood rests on.
3: The stamped metal header cover.
4: The inner trim piece (that you can see from inside the car).
5: The windshield hinge.

All the pieces had the tape between them, except the trim piece and the hinge, which had a rubber gasket.

This whole assembly is a big moisture trap, so you should take extra care when assembling it. I used butyl rubber caulk to completely seal the rubber gasket.

Doug
Good answer/report. The caulking may be overkill if the rubber fits well. However you have one of those funny models with a missing exterior visor which adds protection.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
ahoogakev

Thank you Steve, Doug and Marco ; Lots of helpful advice as always! Doug I really like your album pics, looks like you are snaphappy like me ; your roof pics 'sorta /kinda/ almost' apply to my Tudor! Kev