Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
Bud

Default A Code of Ethics for the National Model A Clubs

I have been a member of my local Model A Club, MARC & MAFCA for over 40 years. Over the last couple months I have heard from the widow of a club member who stated that another club member cheated/stole items from her during the guise of purchasing items she was trying to sell. I cannot verify what she said, I was not there at the time of the incident.
But I have seen and heard of many shady situations that have occurred within our Model A Club. Some of them involved a National Judge.
My point is, do any of the Local or National Clubs ever had an Ethics Policy, and, if so, were they ever prepared to enforce same?
Seems like the first thing a new member has to learn is: who is/are the crook(s) in the club and who is honest.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: A Code of Ethics for the National Model A Clubs

Probably a lot of local club leaders wouldn't be too excited about having to preside over tribunals and excommunicate their friends. I doubt the position pays enough for that.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I have been a member of my local Model A Club, MARC & MAFCA for over 40 years. Over the last couple months I have heard from the widow of a club member who stated that another club member cheated/stole items from her during the guise of purchasing items she was trying to sell. I cannot verify what she said, I was not there at the time of the incident.
But I have seen and heard of many shady situations that have occurred within our Model A Club. Some of them involved a National Judge.
My point is, do any of the Local or National Clubs ever had an Ethics Policy, and, if so, were they ever prepared to enforce same?
Seems like the first thing a new member has to learn is: who is/are the crook(s) in the club and who is honest.

Bud, I have been around this hobby for many years, -and what you are describing is not necessarily new as it seems there are many dishonest people in all forms of clubs, ...and have been for decades. My point is the Model-A clubs do not have the 'franchise' on dishonest characters doing shady deals fortunately, -or unfortunately depending on your point of view.

With the above said, most of these situations likely never really happen as a direct result of a National Club or its affiliates. Yes the dishonest character may have been a member, however it is highly unlikely he was acting under the direction of the club.

If a National Judge is using their title specifically to influence something that is dishonest or unethical, there is an ethics committee within the JSC of each club. A formal complaint would need to be filed along with evidence to corroborate the allegations. At the most, that person might lose their privileges to participate under the title in which they held, but again this would need to be something that grossly placed liability on either a local or national club IMO.

Now I will touch on something that will probably spark a nerve with some, ...however the first person that needs to get blamed for the theft or dishonest practice is her deceased Husband. I see it all so often in my line of work where surviving Spouses are left to clean-up, appraise, and dispose of their Model-A collector's stuff. If you want to collect Model-As and the 'junk' that goes with one, then you need to be responsible with how it will be disposed of in the event something happens to yourself. Choose a specific guardian or executor over the Model-A vehicles and assets whose responsibility is to oversee the disposal where the Spouse is not placed in an uncomfortable position or at any financial risk.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
51504bat

Several years ago a friend of mine who was a longtime Model A and T guy passed. I had know him for years. Always helpful and willing to share early Ford info with me. Although he was a long time member of several early Ford clubs none of the members stepped up to help his widow dispose of his collection of parts and tools. A good friend and mentor of mine offered to take on the task. I helped with the prep and sale but it was my buddy who did all the pricing and merchandising.

In the end the widow made some serious money and my buddy (now passed) was fairly paid for his time and expertise. I received some parts for my 8ba but to me it was more about helping the widow deal with a monumental task of liquidating everything. It was however irritating that none of his so called friends/club members offered to help other than to low ball her for parts/tools. But then again neither did the son.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #5
Oldbluoval

Yep that stuff happens regularly. Brent’s right on in making spouse or family aware of the range of value in your cars and inventory. I’ve also seen “a trusted person” asked for a value; few days later a surrogate shows up and buys. Take a guess at the “value”; yep way low!
Years ago I appraised cars in several divorce situations and, of course, neither party was too happy but the courts were!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Bruce of MN

" the first person that needs to get blamed for the theft or dishonest practice is her deceased Husband."

So true for all sorts of hobbies! I've seen that a couple of times and am trying to keep my treasure trove minimized.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
" the first person that needs to get blamed for the theft or dishonest practice is her deceased Husband."

So true for all sorts of hobbies! I've seen that a couple of times and am trying to keep my treasure trove minimized.
Bruce, I have one car in my shop right now where the car was purchased on eBay, and then shipped to me from California by a client who wanted a full frame-up. His wife calls one day about 6 months later asking if I was restoring a car for this man. She identified herself that he was her husband. I asked 'was?". She said he had suddenly passed away a few weeks prior, and that she had no clue he even owned this car or was having one restored. Out of respect for both, I am trying to liquidate the best I can, but selling partially restored Model-As are difficult to do sometimes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Typical club douchbaggery...social pecking order, car snobbery and the deal hustlers..the tech seminars where the same few con the others into fixing their car..there are some good cats,but you have to wade through the shit to find them..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
Ted Duke

YOU should have a will AND an executor who is young enough and savvy enough to NOT only sell your antique cars AND JUNK, but perhaps the house, manage the investments, console the widow (or widower) while explaining that the "Very very valuable" Family Truckster really has no ready market even though "everyone" knows it is valuable.

I recently was asked by a widow who lives a state away and I have not seen since the 1970's to assist her S-I-L sell her husbands collection of cars, parts and junk. I spoke with him and he politely advised me he wanted NO help. His goal was to get it all gone as soon as possible so she could grieve. He admitted NO experience or interest in the collection. I found out later the first buyer approached made a low-ball offer and it was accepted. She is in her early nineties and able to grieve without worrying about it. BUT, IF THE executor wanted to maximize the asset it would not have been hard.

Plan ahead and let the executor take care of things.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
Ted Duke

BTW, club members of any club are no more honest or crooked than any other group. Most people are honest, many are not. Buyer beware.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #11
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
BTW, club members of any club are no more honest or crooked than any other group. Most people are honest, many are not. Buyer beware.
Most people are honest but sadly some are not. I like what Brent sad about having someone in mind in the event that something should happen to you. I think this is very good advice.
Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
Oldbluoval

“Most people are honest, many are not. Buyer beware.”

Used to be signs over the cash register in one of my favs years ago....

In God we trust...all others pay cash!

Another... Our credit manager is Helen Waite..if you need credit go to Helen Waite
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #13
700rpm

I just turned 76. I contacted two members of the local MAFCA chapter, both younger than I, and who I trust, and asked them if they would be willing to assist my widow in liquidating my cars and Model A accumulations in case of my untimely demise. They both agreed, and I have a codicil to my will that identifies them for the executor. This simple gesture relieved some worry for both my wife and me.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

That was a wise move on Ray's part. Will save a lot of grief down the road.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #15
Chris in WNC

After reading this thread, I asked Alice what she would do with my car, spare parts and tools if I left this earth unexpectedly.
She gave me names of two friends she would call for advice and counsel.
I told her that was the right answer.

Guess I should have the same conversation with daughters in the unlikely event Alice and I check out simultaneously.....
Old 06-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #16
burner31

I have seen so many unethical/shady judging at car shows (some club sponsored) that I no longer go to those.
Seems to be a growing problem, maybe that's why I'm reluctant to join a club.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. - Groucho Marx
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #17
johnneilson

Having attended too many funerals in the last couple years, I have learned this.
It is money well spent to hire a competent appraiser and have your cars done now.

While it may be a few years before you need that information, it will be a place for the new appraiser to start from after your demise.

It does two things, it sets a reasonable expectation for the value, both for buyers and sellers. It also takes the emotional value out of the equation, usually a sellers issue.

We had a very large collection a couple years ago, some very nice pieces. After a museum tried to lowball the collection, word went out with a price list to the local folks.
Every piece sold, at appraised value in less than 10 days.

It opened my eyes that there are still honest people around and given the chance will prove it.

John
Old 06-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #18
Bud

My personal plan is to have the items auctioned off in an online setup, with careful attention paid that individual items are auctioned, no box lots, no people moving or stacking boxes. The auction is to be advertised well in advance. Letting the market set the value should preclude the lowballers or deceitful club members.

As for the case of the husband not doing his duty. Let's see you do your fiduciary duty when you are suffering from a massive infection that impacts your health. In this case, he made multiple trips to the doctor with his wife for about two years. Granted he should have planned well in advance, we should all be so perfectly prepared. But that does not excuse those that would take advantage of his wife. God has a special place in Hell for those who cheat widows and orphans.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:20 AM   #19
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
My personal plan is to have the items auctioned off in an online setup, with careful attention paid that individual items are auctioned, no box lots, no people moving or stacking boxes. The auction is to be advertised well in advance. Letting the market set the value should preclude the lowballers or deceitful club members.

As for the case of the husband not doing his duty. Let's see you do your fiduciary duty when you are suffering from a massive infection that impacts your health. In this case, he made multiple trips to the doctor with his wife for about two years. Granted he should have planned well in advance, we should all be so perfectly prepared. But that does not excuse those that would take advantage of his wife. God has a special place in Hell for those who cheat widows and orphans.
I agree God has a special place for people like that!
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #20
Bob Bidonde

Any policy that cannot be enforced is a useless collection of meaningless words.