Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
JRHASZARD

Default Macs

Working on the 39 pickup and new 2018 hot off the press catalogue from Mac's arrived. Since I was ready to order parts, I made up the list, added up the prices and gave them a call. Somehow $416,82 became $568.51 . That included shipping but also a 10% sale discount. Have to stand up for awhile.
Anyone else have the same experience?
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: Macs

They got ridiculous on shipping so I just quit ordering from them.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHASZARD View Post
Working on the 39 pickup and new 2018 hot off the press catalogue from Mac's arrived. Since I was ready to order parts, I made up the list, added up the prices and gave them a call. Somehow $416,82 became $568.51 . That included shipping but also a 10% sale discount. Have to stand up for awhile.
Anyone else have the same experience?
It continues to amaze ME just how often some folks are seemingly surprised at the "exemplary service and cost-savings" offered by Macs, especially when the subject has presented itself right here on these pages with such repetitive frequency, for years now! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
tubman

Maybe Ryan should change the introductory information to inform new members that they should check any vendors the might want to order from using the "Search" function. It would eliminate a lot of superfluous threads.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Tinker

I'm bored so..... But what did you order? Headliner? fender? door handles?

Not a new thing on shipping. It's usually more expensive then most.
Personally not a barn responsibility to warn people on shipping.

Macs is alright in my opinion. No idea how they offer so much stuff. But I havent ordered much for a longtime.

As far as the integrated barn search function. I've had better results using google and starting a search with Fordbarn "what I'm searching". The Barn function doesn't work.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-02-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
JRHASZARD

REVEALING ......... EXHAUST PORTS ! (Yawn)
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have not had a problem with Mac's but I am aware others have. I just want to comment on shipping costs in general. It costs more to ship a Priority Mail envelope from state to state than the cost for a Chineesim sender to deliver an item to your door. I do not know how that happens??
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
chap52

Just say, "Never mind, thank you for the information."
I was going to order a $2 knob and the vendor wanted $11.95 shipping. Ain't happening!
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It is amazing how some companies seem to be able to work out shipping deals that must be very, very low! Amazon can ship inexpensive somewhat heavy items in large boxes for free (to the recipient). Same for companies like Jegs with a $100 minimum.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
TagMan

"shipping charges" = "profit center" at MAC'S !
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
ct1932ford

Try Joe's in MA. Much better service etc.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
"shipping charges" = "profit center" at MAC'S !
This is the truth. I was in the computer software business until 2004. Back in the 80's and 90's, our "Wholesale Distribution" software packages already contained some very sophisticated modules for maximizing profits from shipping. It was not unusual for a company to make a better margin on shipping than the products they sold. Given the technology of today, I can't imagine how many ways we are getting reamed. I don't know if everyone knows this, but companies doing any kind of volume at all with outfits like UPS and Fedex receive substantial discounts based on volume. They got us comin' and goin'.

Last edited by tubman; 03-03-2018 at 11:03 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
Try Joe's in MA. Much better service etc.
Another vote for Joe's. Excellent service, fair shipping, and knowledgeable and FRIENDLY service. JMO.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
adileo

I like carpenters under $100 shipping $9.99 over $100 it’s 14.99 no matter how big.

Summit and Jeggs good too over $100 free

Mac removed from list a long time ago

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
Philgoodtoo

I recently ordered front brake drums for my 48 F-1 from Mac's that did not fit. Right part number, but size in depth was wrong. I put them on along with the rim and tire, and the drum was completely butted up to the backing plate. It's going to cost almost as much as one drum to ship them back.
Philgoodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #16
39portlander

Your in Virginia, why not try Early Ford V8 sales inc. in Piedmont South Carolina shipping might be lower for you and they also have an excellent staff of folks.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
rotorwrench

Eckler Industries is a major rip off company. They are no Mom & Pop outfit. They will find every way to scrape money away from unsuspecting customers even if they give it back at some point. They use the funds for a while before they give it back. The better business bureau gets a lot of complaints about them and their satellite companies. Legal organized crime is a description that fits their practices.
Check this out. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ecklers-ind...s-titusville-2
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Eckler Industries is a major rip off company. They are no Mom & Pop outfit. They will find every way to scrape money away from unsuspecting customers even if they give it back at some point. They use the funds for a while before they give it back. The better business bureau gets a lot of complaints about them and their satellite companies. Legal organized crime is a description that fits their practices.
Check this out. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ecklers-ind...s-titusville-2
The link just above that rotorwrench posted should be mandatory reading for anyone thinking about sending hard-earned money to Macs, which is now owned by Ecklers. During one mis-spent period of my life, we were heavy into authentic restorations of mid year Corvettes, and we learned early-on that dealing with Ecklers (1990 timeframe) for any reason was not a rewarding practice, AT BEST! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #19
steve hackel

I would like to add something important to this thread based on both personal & professional experiences with Ecklers / Macs etc.... I worked for Ecklers for years rebuilding and restoring some of their electrical motors but no longer do (directly) because they had issues with paying their sub contractors when it came to the parts that their customers requested be rebuilt / restored. Now days I rebuild for a middle person and they deal with Ecklers from their end - I just get paid from them when the job is done - "BUT" - when my work is completed and ready to send back to their customer, I use Ecklers shipper numbers (such as UPS...) and when the total comes up on the screen, Ecklers gets an immediate 25% to 40% discount on their shipping rates
that they are charging their customers FULL PRICE ! ! ! So, not only do they charge extra for both shipping & handling, they also receive a volume discount on anything that goes through their shippers number. Sadly, there are times when only Ecklers / Macs are offering a part that is otherwise unavailable from any of the others vendors and your either step up and pay them or do without the parts you need.
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve hackel View Post
I would like to add something important to this thread based on both personal & professional experiences with Ecklers / Macs etc.... I worked for Ecklers for years rebuilding and restoring some of their electrical motors but no longer do (directly) because they had issues with paying their sub contractors when it came to the parts that their customers requested be rebuilt / restored. Now days I rebuild for a middle person and they deal with Ecklers from their end - I just get paid from them when the job is done - "BUT" - when my work is completed and ready to send back to their customer, I use Ecklers shipper numbers (such as UPS...) and when the total comes up on the screen, Ecklers gets an immediate 25% to 40% discount on their shipping rates
that they are charging their customers FULL PRICE ! ! ! So, not only do they charge extra for both shipping & handling, they also receive a volume discount on anything that goes through their shippers number. Sadly, there are times when only Ecklers / Macs are offering a part that is otherwise unavailable from any of the others vendors and your either step up and pay them or do without the parts you need.
WOW STEVE...If that doesn't give a perfectly CLEAR idea of how the company "LOVES" it's customer base, I don't recon anything else could change any minds. That bit of info much appreciated! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE