Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
wgmatt

Default Mitchell trasnsmission or overdrive?

I am a bit confused. I want to use my "30 Fordor for touring and want better speed. I have read a lot on this forum about the Mitchell overdrive as well as the Mitchell transmission. Do I get one or the other or both? Has anyone done both?
wgmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Mitchell trasnsmission or overdrive?

First get a 5.5 head for more power.
The 3.27 ring and pinion is another way to gain speed and at less cost.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
steve s

Do a search on overdrives. F-150 conversions are available. I like mine. 4-speed, only one lever.

Mitchell OD splits each gear into two ranges. Handy for pulling hills, but requires 2nd shift lever. Search for recent thread on one man's installment experience. Can be used with stock trans or with Mitchell trans in stock A box but modified with synchronizers and different gear ratio option.

Other options include a Volvo mod, Borg Warner mod, and GM 5-speed.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
CarlG

Steve pretty much summed up the all the different options. I have the F150 4-speed overdrive option, and like it very much. This is a complete bolt-in kit, no extra holes to drill or cutting involved (except for the wooden floorboard). Couldn't be more pleased.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Tom Endy

If you are looking to use your Model A for touring my advice is to purchase a Mitchell overdrive, they run around $2,300. It installs very easy and does not molest the Model A except for a slot that has to be cut in the floorboard and floor mat to accommodate the shift lever. You can always remove the overdrive and return the car to as it was and the overdrive has very good re-sale value. A Mitchell overdrive is 26% and can be used in every gear. Most often you would use it in high gear when you are above 45 mph. The overdrive does not increase the speed capability of the car it just allows you to travel at 55-60 mph with the engine rpm turning over like you were doing 45 mph. Second gear overdrive is very useful climbing or coming down steep grades. The 26% is designed to operate well with a 378:1 ring & pinion, which is the standard for a Model A.

The Mitchell transmission is about the same price and has the advantage of syncro gears in second and high so you do not have to double clutch. You can also get different gear ratios for second. Once you are in high the gearing is straight through as is a stock Model A transmission.

There are people who order both from Mitchell. Most often I hear people say they installed the Mitchell transmission so their wife could drive the car.

A Snyder 5.5 head as suggested above is also a good companion feature to the Mitchell overdrive.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgmatt View Post
I am a bit confused. I want to use my "30 Fordor for touring and want better speed. I have read a lot on this forum about the Mitchell overdrive as well as the Mitchell transmission. Do I get one or the other or both? Has anyone done both?
Get the Mitchell , you can get different gears but the 26% is best. I have 5.9 brum head and 3;27 rear that I wouldn't trade for anything. My 31 tudor runs 60 mph at 1800 rpm. After you get use to the overdrive you can use it and all will be like everything is synchronized, you can go into first gear before you come to stop or keep rolling. I HAVE HAD THIS SET UP SINCE 2001-2003. CHECK MY INFO ON SITE. HAVE FUN MODELaTONY TONY WHITE lAFAYETTE, la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
steve s

If I lived in hilly country and had it to do over again, I would get the Mitchell OD. There is a dead zone in Model A gearing between about 25 and 35 mph where it's too fast for 2nd and too slow for 3rd on moderate hills. The Mitchell OD in 2nd should fill this nicely.

However, living where I do in MI, I wouldn't trade my F-150 4-speed OD. Nothing to "get used to" and a whole world easier to get my wife to drive (which, if for no other reason, is a safety feature that we all should think about). My wife has never driven a stick shift before of any kind. BTW, I also have the Brumfield 5.9 head.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
nickair

Two options I like:
1) Seems to me that WITH the Mitchell Overdrive you would not need the Mitchell transmission with the modified gear ratios. The overdrive splits the gears to be more efficient with the engine and gives you an overdrive.

2) With 3.27 rear end gears I would do the modified gear Mitchell transmission and a higher compression head for more torque. The mods go on and on...
If I remember the torque peak is at 1200 rpm. From there the higher rpm goes the lower the torque goes. Point is that overdrive loves more torque to hold your speed. Seen guys that have an overdrive that doesn't get used much where there is the slightest incline. The other guys will have much to add to this.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
Duffy1

Hills ; Michell O D and Michell Trans; $5000
Flat Land ; F-150 ; $2500
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
JohnLaVoy

I have been very pleased with the Mitchell overdrive. I've driven many thousands of miles and really appreciate the 2nd overdrive for climbing long hills. I have a borg warner on the phaeton and it served me well but doesn't work well in the hills. The regular Model A transmission has also worked fine for me over the years but that is a personal choice if you want the syncro trans to make it easier to shift.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Do a search on overdrives. F-150 conversions are available. I like mine. 4-speed, only one lever.

Mitchell OD splits each gear into two ranges. Handy for pulling hills, but requires 2nd shift lever. Search for recent thread on one man's installment experience. Can be used with stock trans or with Mitchell trans in stock A box but modified with synchronizers and different gear ratio option.

Other options include a Volvo mod, Borg Warner mod, and GM 5-speed.
Here are links to the two recent threads that I instigated, including the one mentioned by Steve S re my installation experience.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142966

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...light=mitchell
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #12
Brother Hesekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Hills ; Michell O D and Michell Trans; $5000
Flat Land ; F-150 ; $2500
Everything; 5-speed; $1,650

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #13
KenCoupe

I agree with Tom Endy and others on this thread about the Mitchell overdrive. I talked to Tom about the overdrive when he rebuilt my rear differential. I got the Mitchell overdrive and I have a 3.78:1 rear end and a 5.9 head. I couldn't be more pleased with the Mitchell overdrive. It works great. The second shift lever is not an issue for me; I can always take the overdrive unit out and go back to stock if I need to. Installation was not that difficult. A couple of guys from our club helped me install it. Our biggest obstacle was because my car has hydraulic brakes (I didn't know any better when I bought the car) and getting some of the Mitchell parts to fit around some of the hydraulic parts was a bit of a challenge, but nothing we couldn't get around.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #14
nickair

One nice aspect of getting the Mitchell Overdrive is that the vehicle may be returned to stock as compared to some other options.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
wgmatt

Thanks, guys. Great input and much more clarity to the options I have. This Forum is a marvelous resource!
wgmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
tbirdtbird
BANNED

FYI if you want the Mitchell Overdrive there is a 3 month wait once you have put in your order...plan accordingly

Don't know about the wait time for the Mitchell tranny.

I love my Mitchell!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
TerryH

To further clarify pulling ability with the Mitchell in OD.......I have a Town Sedan, which is the heaviest passenger Model A, and I also have the Snyder 5.5 HC head. With that setup, I can pull modest hills when going 55 mph.....it definitely is not too tall of gearing when used with the stock 3.78 rear end, but like others, I would recommend adding a HC head. Many of the BW OD's are 33%, and that is too high in my opinion.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Pat Martone

I have the Mitchell Overdrive and am now "spoiled" and wouldn't want to drive a Model A without one.

I too, did not install it to drive really fast, but wanted to drive at 45-50 mph without the engine "screaming". I also use the 2nd gear Overdrive quite a bit when on a hill, where 2nd is too high (engine screaming) and 3rd would be lugging the engine.
A surprising additional benefit is that I use that Mitchell shifter a lot, to make downshifting easier. I simply put the Mitchell shifter in Neutral, then downshift without any gear grinding, before re-engaging the Mitchell. Another nice feature when stopped at a red light is to keep the Mitchell in Neutral and place the transmission in first gear, then it is an easy and grindless shift of the Mitchell into low gear to accelerate from a stop. I actually enjoy "playing" with both shifters.
I wonder if anyone else uses the Mitchell Overdrive as I do?
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
Al 29Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Everything; 5-speed; $1,650
Brother Hesekiel,

Any details on a five speed? Over drive?
Type of tranny, kit parts etc.

Sounds interesting - everything in one location with one shifter.

Thanks,
Al Leach
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Jason in TX

I run the volvo overdrive on the bottom. Here is a photo showing the mitchel and the Volvo. Mitchell is mechanical lever on the floor. Volvo is an electrical switch hidden under the dash rail. flip of the index finger and you are in or out of overdrive in any forward gear.

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote