Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
RonC

Default Car Batteries can and do explode

This video doesn't show a car battery exploding but it gives you an idea of the force of the explosion of battery acid into the air. You should always wear eye protection whenever you work on a battery including working with the terminal connections, charging and jumping etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6CxV...eature=related
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Car Batteries can and do explode

they can and do indeed explode, my brother (ase master tech.) years ago, went to remove a battery, there was a current draw and when he removed one of the terminals, there was a spark and went off like a bomb. Luckily he wears glasses and it was outside in winter, had a stocking hat and winter coat, he had a few acid burns and was real lucky. The clothes he was wearing coat and hat looked like they went thru a war acouple of days later
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Having worked on electric golf cars for many years i have experienced battery explosions ---when all 6 batterys under the seat explode at the same time you land about 10 feet away.
A battery explosion is most likely with a tired battery that you have been charging, and charging trying to get the last bit of use out of it, that is when they gas the most, and have the highest danger.

If you are charging a battery and it starts wheezing and sputtering out the vents DO NOT TOUCH the charging clamps, unplug the charger from the wall, walk away for a while---at least an hour, and wear protection when you touch it
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Richard/Ca

I learned that first hand lucky there was a water hose about 10 feet away. And my son-in-law was smart enough to grab it and turn it on. The battery blew up in 2-3 feet in front of me when I was not even expecting it. Ruined the clothes I was wearing but took a good cold shower real quick.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
jeep44

Whenever I do anything around a battery, I wear wraparound safety glasses, and one of those inexpensive harbor Freight faceshields.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Jynx

your coil will explode too
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
J Franklin

I had one blow up when I hit the starter after a charge. It was due to a loose battery cable that arced a spark. I would say a bit of time and more ventilation would have likely delayed this, but the conditions were ripe for it happening sometime down the road.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
mass A man

A friend of mine, years ago had a battery blow up in his face. He was smoking. The acid was not his main problem. It was the shards of the top case that really messed up his whole face. Not a pretty sight. He did not lose his vision, but was known as "scarface" for years after.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Michael in Sedona

Is it possible for an Optima battery to explode?
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
29RPU

I worked in a shop and one of the other mechanics had a larger truck battery blow up on him. He was a veteran, and always treated them with respect. I think he was to the side and fairly low when it blew. He didn't wear eye protection before or after, but it sure scared the heck out of all of us. I've seen it first hand.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
Keith True

I've seen quite a few of them explode over the years.Mostly by doing something stupid trying to start an old piece of equipment in the cold out in the woods.I have an old Lincoln welder that has been used more to start old loaders and dozers than for welding.Get one guy on the starter button,and another on the stinger.You jam the stinger on the cable on the starter at the same time the guy hits the button and the starter will use most of the current.If the guy is slow hitting the button the batteries take the current,and dead batteries don't like a 200 amp slam of juice.I only blew up a few sets that way,but we expected it and were protected.Some of the things you do when you have the choice of making the machine work or sit home.I had a set blow up on a bulldozer I was on once,but have no idea what caused that one.Most likely a chafe through.The backs of my legs started itching,and when it got worse I stopped the machine.When I stopped I smelled the acid.It was raining so I was already soaked.I had a set blow up on a golf cart,the hold downs were good so it was just a loud bang and shrapnel under the seat.That was caused by a runaway charger.I have to say though that the biggest cause of explosions have been battery tenders.Every year I get a half dozen people coming into the garage telling me that their battery just blew up for no reason.They seem to think that because the box says it will shut down,or float,when the battery is charged that it really will happen.Expensive ones,cheap ones,I've seen too many problems to trust any of them.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
RcT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I've seen quite a few of them explode over the years.Mostly by doing something stupid trying to start an old piece of equipment in the cold out in the woods.I have an old Lincoln welder that has been used more to start old loaders and dozers than for welding.Get one guy on the starter button,and another on the stinger.You jam the stinger on the cable on the starter at the same time the guy hits the button and the starter will use most of the current.If the guy is slow hitting the button the batteries take the current,and dead batteries don't like a 200 amp slam of juice.I only blew up a few sets that way,but we expected it and were protected.Some of the things you do when you have the choice of making the machine work or sit home.I had a set blow up on a bulldozer I was on once,but have no idea what caused that one.Most likely a chafe through.The backs of my legs started itching,and when it got worse I stopped the machine.When I stopped I smelled the acid.It was raining so I was already soaked.I had a set blow up on a golf cart,the hold downs were good so it was just a loud bang and shrapnel under the seat.That was caused by a runaway charger.I have to say though that the biggest cause of explosions have been battery tenders.Every year I get a half dozen people coming into the garage telling me that their battery just blew up for no reason.They seem to think that because the box says it will shut down,or float,when the battery is charged that it really will happen.Expensive ones,cheap ones,I've seen too many problems to trust any of them.
Your last statement about the battery tenders is scary... anybody else have this happen? What could we do, run them on a timer to shut them off?
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Cory Moffat

Exclamation Re: Car Batteries can and do explode

Years ago I had a hunting camp in the middle of the boonies.
There was no electricity so I rigged up a old Iron horse gas motor I had taken off an old type washing machine. And with a belt to run an old generator I found on a old car and used it to charge a couple old batteries.
Whala..I had 12 volt lighting.

One night the light were a little dim so I fired up the generator then figured it would be a good idea to check the electrolite levels in the batteries and top up if needed.
I removed the caps and peered into the battery with my dim little flashlight and I must have bumped the alligator clips that were on the posts. I will never forget it. Instantly the inside of the cells turned red I could see fire between all the plates in the battery. Then as fast as that happened the acid hit my eyes.
I was instantly blind and in burning pain. It was like the acid had vaporised and as it hit my face it was blown into all the poors of my face not to mention my eyes.

My quick thinking buddies ran to the swamp not to far away and grabbed water green slime and all and I used it to flush myself for a long time.
I would have been toast without them!

I never went into town and I could see next morning but my eyes sure felt dry.
20 years later when getting my eyes tested I mentioned it and the doctor hurridley looked into my eyes with that little thing with the light on it and said everything looked fine.

Thank goodness none of the peaces of the exploding case found there mark in my face or eyes

I found respect for batteries that nigh. Enuf to last a lifetime
Cory Moffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
JBR

As a police officer in a small Iowa town we responded to all vehicles fires. We would always get their before the volunteer fire dept. We always carried 5 lb. fire extinguishers in our squad cars. 99.99% of vehicle fires are in the engine compartment and we figured if we could get the hood open and knock the fire down until the fire guys got there we might be able to keep the car from being a total loss.

One day I responded to a vehicle fire at the swimming pool. It was a very nice medium blue mustang. I remember thinking 'what a beautiful car' as I ran to it with my extinguisher. I started to open the hood when the battery blew. I felt a piece of shrapnel go by my right ear.

From that day on Department Policy was "let em burn'.

Last edited by JBR; 10-15-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: (sp)
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
Craig Lewis

I'm another one who had to learn the hard way.
Picture a very old car battery on the floor of a 10 x 16 plywood shed. I was looking for a quick way to test a small electric motor and remembered the battery which had been hooked to a charger for a day or two.
I opened the shed door and there it was...boiling away and all dripping in acid (from sprayin out the vents) and I still remember the strong acid smell in that enclosed area.

I unhooked the charger then jumped the small motor by just holding it across the 2 terminals.

One little spark and KABOOM !

Leaned right over the battery like that I really witnessed "ol facefull"
...instantly there was acid & chunks of plastic & lead plate in my eyes & hair.
Luckily my father-in-law was nearby and lead me blindly to a waterhose that seemed like MILES away to wash up.
Funny thing is I was so shocked...and thinking I'd be blind for life...I don't really remember any pain.
Back at the shed, the battery was sitting there with the top and most of the sides gone. WHOLE plates of lead were wedged into the rafters overhead...in fact one piece dropped while we where standing there.
Looking back I'm damn lucky to have my eyesight.

Of course this all happened when I was just nineteen....long before I came to knew everything
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
cars56

Thanks Ron
This is very good advise indeed
From this day forward the face shield will be used with safety glasses under it
cars56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #17
Fred
BANNED

On a Model "A" this is easy to prevent.. Take off the cable on the starter first, then take off the ground cable @ the battery.. Always charge any battery on a low rate of amps, not only is it safer, its better for the battery..I always charge a battery with the caps "OFF", you never know when one of the vent holes is plugged up.. Bottom line is, If you dont know what you are doing, DONT do it !!...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote