Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Gene F

Default Front Glass Runner

The gentleman that passed away, and restored my car did a fairly good job, but now I'm doing some things to the car I want to change, and some maintenance items. The front door glass runners need replaced. Get this, he pulled the venta-payne assemblies before repaint, and replaced the belt line whiskers, venta-payne seals, and the rear window quarter seals. Why he didn't replace the front glass runners while he had that all apart is a mystery to me.

At any rate, I have the unit out, and my factory manual only goes so far, so I'm hoping someone here can offer advice, that has made this repair before.

At the top, that tab with two screw holes in it (it's bent over on them a bit), do I cut that off? Where do the screws go? The front runners I got from concourse are for Conv / Retract 55 - 59, so maybe this gets cut off, for my model. Obviously the unit just slips out of that chrome channel on the venta-payne assembly itself, but at the bottom (actually the middle of the new part overall) is the unit just attached with pressure rivets that are wedged into the casting to stabilize the door glass runner? How do I separate that from the casting? ...use a small chisel very carefully, perhaps?

You get the idea...Whatever you can tell me will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 ventapayne overview.jpg (83.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 57 ventapayne pointer.jpg (58.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 57 ventapayne top.jpg (88.6 KB, 32 views)
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Front Glass Runner

Okay so, looks like t5his is a '57 or '58 Fairlane hardtop you are working on. Before doing anything, the old fuzzy channel should be removed first. The fuzzy channel is fastened to the stainless steel frame with rivets. Get a drill with a bit sized just big enough to shave off the bent over portion of the rivets and stop drilling. Tap the rivet out with a punch and little hammer. Repeat for all rivets until fuzzy channel can be removed. Use the old fuzzy as a pattern to cut the new piece. I don't think there are any bends, but just make the new piece like the old piece.
The way I installed them in the past is by inserting the new piece temporarily into the stainless steel frame and clamp it gently with one or two small C-clamps so it will not move while you mark the hole locations with a fine felt tipped pen.
Now take the fuzzy back out and center punch your marks and drill holes there of the proper size for the new rivets that are furnished in the kit. It will be necessary to get a large center punch for driving the rivets home.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

I replace the old "fuzzies" with the loop portion of self stick Velcro. Go to an upholstery supply place for the best. The stickie is really tough. Once in place it is hard to pull back. I cut the strips and install in three pieces.

I clean the old stuff out of the channel with a small wire brush on a drill. It gets all the old glue and left over fuzzie out pretty good. Next a thorough wipe down with lacquer thinner followed with a good wipe down with denatured alcohol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ranch build 222.jpg (53.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch build 223.jpg (59.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch build 224.jpg (40.7 KB, 18 views)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
bobss396

I have a '59 but forget what held it on to the vent frame part. Maybe a couple of screws. I had to make a new piece (31.25" long) and had to drill holes and mill some slots in it. I pop-riveted it to the door bracket.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote