Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Kirk1963

Default Driveability - A vs Early V8

Friends, I have an A sedan - older resto but very presentable - I'm wondering if an early 8 would be better for longer trips, better handling (wider tires) more power etc. I really want to put seat belts in as well and aren't crazy about the construction of my A to do that.

My kids want to start riding in it more and was giving an early V8 some thought.

Very curious as to the comparisons for members who own both or have experience with both.

Thanks!
Kirk1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Driveability - A vs Early V8

Kirk, a Model A is cute in a parade. An Early V8 is comfortable* on the road.

*Progressively more comfortable each year from '32 to '53.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Tom Mazz/CT

I drive a 30 CCPU with an original 40 HP drive train except for hydraulic brakes. The pickup is fine around town and secondary roads by I don't like it above 45mph. I also have a 34 Five Window Coupe with later 100 HP flathead and hydraulic brakes. I have no problems driving the 34 on the Interstate. Handling is a little bit better but not great! Both vehicles have original (size) wheels and tires.
Tom Mazz/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Capt Kirk

I don't have any experience in an A but do in an early V8. I'll share some life experience here. My dad got his 35 cabriolet from a friend when he was a kid. He met my mom in Germany as a war bride, brought her to LA and the 35 became the daily driver. All of a sudden kids started popping out. He got a Carson top and removed the top well so us kids could "communicate" between the rumble well and the cab. I remember a trip from LA to Nebraska pulling a travel trailer in that 35. I can't even imagine doing that now. A cabriolet might not be the best "family friendly" car but they're certainly designed for the road. There are a lot of other early V8's that can handle the kids on road trips.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
FrankWest

When I was looking for a 1933/34 car I found a 33 that was totally modernized.
Wide tires, new suspension, much newer motor, auto transmission. The salesman said this car is better than an original because you can drive it anywhere...
I didn't really understand...because I wanted an original..
I am happy with what I finally got and original, but now I understand..
I am not expert, and my car is not rebuilt.. but these original early thirties cars are not really for interstate hiway driving. I guess you need all the new suspensions,trans, motors, wide tires if you want a car that acts like a modern car.
Don't get me wrong..I love the original car..Love what it represents..
I love driving it.. Now that I am retired and only drive around town it is perfect for me.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
klawockvet

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've had them all and still have a 28 Roadster and a 48 tudor. When in college I had a 33 coupe and drove it back and forth from UT to CA many times without giving it a thought. I would never question taking a long trip in the 28 and have driven it from Alaska to the States and am now driving the Pony Express Trail mostly on dirt roads, but would prefer the 33 or 47 V8 if I were in a hurry and needed to take the freeways. That being said, I hate the freeways even in my wife's BMW and stay off them as much as possible. It really boils down to what your personal comfort level is as the Model A's have proven themselves as dependable "round the world" vehicles, they're just a little slower.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
Shadetree

I have owned both the 'A' and the V-8 Fords. They both have their place in history. The V-8's are more refined, more horsepower and can better keep up with traffic. On the other hand there is much to be said about clucking around the neighborhood in your Model A or even a `T`!
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 AM   #8
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
When I was looking for a 1933/34 car I found a 33 that was totally modernized.
Wide tires, new suspension, much newer motor, auto transmission. The salesman said this car is better than an original because you can drive it anywhere...
I didn't really understand...because I wanted an original..
I am happy with what I finally got and original, but now I understand..
I am not expert, and my car is not rebuilt.. but these original early thirties cars are not really for interstate hiway driving. I guess you need all the new suspensions,trans, motors, wide tires if you want a car that acts like a modern car.
Don't get me wrong..I love the original car..Love what it represents..
I love driving it.. Now that I am retired and only drive around town it is perfect for me.
The whole point of driving old cars is that they have little in common with new cars. Sometimes it's just nice to have windows that have to be wound up and down by hand, to have rattles and squeaks, to have to concentrate on the steering and following distances, etc, etc.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
CA Victoria

Lots of good input for you to pick thru so far. While there isn't a "correct" answer I think you should make a list of what you would like from your car. With your A when you get done you still have a Model A.......with a few improvements it will keep up with the best of them. But as was pointed out the later fords came with many refinements that make driving more comfortable. I love driving my A but need to realize its limitations when I get behind the wheel......

Last edited by CA Victoria; 06-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
BrianCT

As much as I like the 34 I would recommend 35 or newer.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
FrankWest

I wonder how the original big expensive 33/34 cars like the Packards, Buicks, Lincolns handle compared to the 33/34 fords. Many of them had were really built.
I originally learned to drive on a 62 VW bus. When I drive my unrestored 1933 model B it's handling reminds me of that 62 VW bus.

As a side note: This is unbelievable. Has the entire world gone nuts!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-B...3D171817199860

Last edited by FrankWest; 06-08-2015 at 11:48 AM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I wonder how the original big expensive 33/34 cars like the Packards, Buicks, Lincolns handle compared to the 33/34 fords. Many of them had were really built.
I originally learned to drive on a 62 VW bus. When I drive my unrestored 1933 model B it's handling reminds me of that 62 VW bus.

As a side note: This is unbelievable. Has the entire world gone nuts!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-B...3D171817199860
I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to take a ride in one of those big "P" cars. (Packard, Pierce Arrow or Peerless)
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
Seth Swoboda

I have driven both Model A's and early V8's. I can tell you I much prefer the early V8 over the Model A for driving comfort. I had the opportunity to drive a 1951 Crestliner this spring and it drove much nicer than the '46-'48 fords.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
Lawrie

We have a 28 ccpu that we have done around about 85000klms in trips all over the country as well it's my daily driver,
We also have a 33 fordor sedan that we use on trips and touring towing our home made wooden caravan,the last trip 5500 klms,there is no comparison ,the 33 rides nicer has more comfortable seats more leg room,and will cruise at a higher speed than the A,both have their pluses and minuses,but from our point the 33 is far more comfortable to travel in.
And of you want to overtake a 4wd up a hill in the 33 just put your foot into it.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
Kirk1963

Thanks everybody for the great info - much appreciated!
Kirk1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #16
Admiral

I have limited experience with Model A's but they are noticeably cruder than my '36 sedan. Oh, they're TONS of fun puttering around town or out on a country two-lane but the way they steer, stop and accelerate they feel an entire generation older than a V8. The eights are practically like a modern car in comparison, and as others have mentioned, they're a lot more spacious and comfortable inside.

While hardly fast, my '36 will outrun other dawdling motorists from stop lights and can tackle hills with ease in high gear. Surprisingly the engine feels strongest out on the highway at speeds greater than 50 miles an hour. It pulls with surprising vigor given how simple and outdated the flathead configuration is.

As for handling and braking, these areas need work. My car has mechanical binders with floaters and it stops just fine (EVERYTHING has been rebuilt and is in tip-top condition), but don't expect it to bite like a modern four-wheel disk arrangement with ABS. You still need to leave ample space between you and the vehicle ahead. Also, corners can be scary as there was no stabilizer bar in 1936. It feels like the door handles will scrape on the pavement when you take a tight turn! Still, there's nothing like driving one of these old car. I love 'em all!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #17
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1963 View Post

Very curious as to the comparisons for members who own both or have experience with both.

Thanks!
There is no comparison. The A is a car you can putter around with at 45 MPH that handles like a grocery cart and "sorta" has brakes.

A early V-8 made after 1939 has modern hydraulic brakes,a much stronger chassis,and enough power to drive it 55-60 MPH all day. it's not going to win any acceleration awards,but you can drive and enjoy it pretty much anywhere you want to go.
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #18
LazarusLong

[QUOTE=FrankWest;1099835]
I originally learned to drive on a 62 VW bus. When I drive my unrestored 1933 model B it's handling reminds me of that 62 VW bus.<<

LOL! The "B" pickup is probably faster as well as better handling.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #19
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to take a ride in one of those big "P" cars. (Packard, Pierce Arrow or Peerless)
Even early 30's luxury cars would hit 100 mph or close to it,so they pretty much had to handle and stop better than the entry-level cars.

Early 30's Dusenbergs would run faster than 100 mph. IIRC,I think one stock one was driven from Hollywood to the salt flats and was timed at 130 MPH. it was the lighter (by comparison) supercharged roadster instead of the touring.

No report on how many miles it took to stop it.

Last edited by LazarusLong; 06-09-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling/syntax
Old 06-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
blucar

From my point of view, any Ford earlier than '36 is strictly a "parade car", or something to be used on back roads and light city traffic at speeds not to exceed 45 mph.
The mechanical components in the '36 Fords are still a little primitive, however, with not to much effort '40-48 components can be blended into the '36-39 Fords with very little, if any alteration to the basic vehicle.
The body on my '36 is dead stock, having only been repainted once, black with apple green pin strip. Mechanically it is all '40- 48 including the '42-48 Columbia.
I have driven the car over 94k in the 62 years I have owned it. Used it as my daily work car for over ten years.. The car is safe and comfortable at highway speeds, 65-70 mph, even handles well at 100 mph. City rush how traffic is no problem, the '42-48 brakes stop the car right now.
You can't compare the "B, C, L, P, or S cars to anything in the Ford line, the majority of those cars, '30's-40's will run at 100 mph all day long, providing they were on roads good enough to handle that speed.
The first time I was in a car that would do over 100 mph was in 1944 in a '37 Studebaker President, owned by a friend of my father. The next time I was in a car that was going over 100 mph was in '51, in a '48 Buick.