Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #161
KULTULZ

Question Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
As a last resort, Got in, and pumped on the Brake Pedal a bunch of times, then set the Brake Pedal ON, and checked the Tail Lights. The Brake Lights were ON!!!!!
... hmm ...

Sounds like maybe you have air in the system. What brake fluid did you use after overhaul?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #162
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
... hmm ... Sounds like maybe you have air in the system.
Hey Mr. K., doubt that THAT is the case. Pedal is rock solid at about one inch of movement. If there was air in the system, it would be soft and squishy compared.
Quote:
What brake fluid did you use after overhaul?
Got it from NAPA, it is DOT3.

Had to get up and out to the clinic early this morning, and it just wore me out. Didn't get anything else done due to fatigue, heat, and humidity. But will be rested in the morning.

Am going to see if there's any obstruction in the Switch Port in the Master Cylinder first thing tomorrow morning. If there is an obstruction, and it gets cleared, we'll be in good shape.

Got an E-Mail from the people who are sending the Brake Light Switch that YOU recommended. It shipped today should be here by Friday.

Will also be working on brightening the Tail Lights.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care.

JCAllison
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #163
KULTULZ

Post Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:

Was the NAPA MC a rebuild or an aftermarket new? It appears similar to the OEM MC you took off?

Quote:
YES. I assumed it was NEW. It looked NEW! But what do I know?
The reason I asked is that NEW now is cheaply made off-shore that the original design/function may not be the same as OEM.

It is best (IMO) to have something like this professionally rebuilt with sleeving if necessary.

DRUM BRAKE RESIDUAL VALVE - https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/r...eck-valve.html

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #164
JCAllison

Quote:
Was the NAPA MC a rebuild or an aftermarket new? It appears similar to the OEM MC you took off? The reason I asked is that NEW now is cheaply made off-shore that the original design/function may not be the same as OEM.
Hey Mr. K., Got an E-Mail this morning saying that the Brake Light Switch will be arriving on Monday! Am hoping against hope that it (they) will solve the problem.
Quote:
It is best (IMO) to have something like this professionally rebuilt with sleeving if necessary.
Logistics raises its ugly head!

First: there isn't anyone in the area that I would trust to do a "professional rebuild" (I'm probably the most competent Galaxie mechanic in the area!).

Second: Even if there was someone that I would trust, would have to remove the Master Cylinder, and with no Master Cylinder in Ms. American, would have no way to get it to the "Professional Rebuilder".

It is raining here today. Dark Overcast. Not a condition to be working on the old Gal. Rain is forecast to continue indefinitely.

There is also a Major Glitch in the plan to purge the Master Cylinder's Brake Switch Port. Thought I knew where the Tool with which to do it was, but it is not where I thought it was. This is yet another residual of the tornado which hit here and caused an ongoing chaos due to everything having to be shuffled around in order to repair the damage done.

Getting this all done by the end of October is very stressful. Am just going to have to go with the flow. Everything happens when it's supposed to happen. Will let you know how things are going when I find out how things are going.

Take care.

JCAllison
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
Old 10-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #165
JCAllison

Hey Mr. K., and All, in rummaging around looking for the aforementioned Tool, the Tube was found. As I recalled, it was flared. But apparently it wasn't. Also have found the necessary fitting to make up the assembly.

A little more searching, found a couple of JPGs of the Assembly, and they revealed how the Tool was set up for use. In actuality, it was meant to be used to bleed the NEW Master Cylinder. It worked MARVELOUSLY! It should work to do the purging of the Brake Light Switch Threaded Port as well.

So here are the JPGs that were found, and am going to give this a try as soon as the weather permits.

Will let you know what happens.

JCAllison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.14AMACYBL1.jpg (97.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 3.14AMACYBL2.jpg (43.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #166
JCAllison

Hey Mr. K., and Everyone, Am sitting here contemplating the doing of the purging of the Brake Light Switch's Threaded Port, and came up against a contingency which has prompted me to put off doing the deed till after the NEW Brake Light Switches that Mr. K. has recommended have arrived. The reason is that they MAY be the solution to this rather knotty problem, but if going ahead with the purging perchance renders Ms. American unable to go to the Post Office on Monday, would be up creek without a paddle.

As the old Gal sits presently, she is mobile and functional, so have decided to leave well enough alone until next Monday. Probably just as well since it is terribly mucky outdoors, even under the carport.

So, in the meantime, should the weather straighten up, can proceed with the Brightening of the Taillights Caper.

JCAllison
Old 10-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #167
JCAllison

Quote:
Hey Mr. K., what is the Pin that fits into the Stud Socket called.

Am seriously considering going to a Mechanical Brake Light Switch. Tried to insert a URL, but couldn't get it to show up in a Preview. It is for a Borg Warner S237 Brake Light Switch. If the URL doesn't come up in the post, you could google what is above in BOLD type to see the part.

(Just as I feared, the URL didn't come up!)

This Borg Warner S237 Brake Light Switch is what was in Lorrie. I think that it is around here somewhere, but if it isn't or can't be found, could have one here next week.

Making a bracket for it would be simple. Maybe mount it on the Steering Column with some Hose Clamps.

The reason that I need to know what the Male Stud Socket Pin is called is because I would like to connect them to the existing Female Stud Sockets that fit the Pins on the Hydraulic Brake Light Switch. That way, if it is ever decided to go back to the Hydraulic Brake Light Switch, all that would have to be done is remove the Pins from the Female Spade Connectors and put the Stud Sockets on the Hydraulic Brake Light Switch.

Already have the Female Spade Connectors to fit the BW S237, but need the Pin Fittings to go into the existing Female Stud Sockets.

Can you help me out here?

Thanks in advance. Take care.

JCAllison
Old 10-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #168
oldave57

Hello JCAllison,

I thought about suggesting a mechanical switch mounted to the steering column. Just about any type of microswitch would work but if you have one that you have some experience with, so much the better.

I measured the pin size on the brake switch on my 1957 Skyliner and it is a 0.156" diameter male pin (the terminals are called bullet connectors). I am sure that the 1964 model would be the same size. I'm sure there are some that you could find in a local hardware store, but the link below takes you to a proper sized bullet connector on Amazon (unfortunately there are a lot of them in this listing, 100 pieces).

Good Luck. I enjoy reading your adventures with Ms. American
Dave

https://www.amazon.com/AIRIC-100pcs-...4256805&sr=8-3
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:45 AM   #169
KULTULZ

Post Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post

Am seriously considering going to a Mechanical Brake Light Switch. Tried to insert a URL, but couldn't get it to show up in a Preview. It is for a Borg Warner S237 Brake Light Switch. If the URL doesn't come up in the post, you could google what is above in BOLD type to see the part.

JCAllison
Frustration factor settling in JC?

Consider this kit, it is for a BIRD but I imagine it can be adapted to a '64 fairly easily. It's just like PREGO, the connectors are in there (included).

- https://www.classictbird.com/Mechani...tinfo/13480MK/

NOTE - Study Install Sheet In Website

- https://www.ctci.org/mechanical-brake-light-switch/

Appreciate your concern to not cut into the factory harness.

ADDENDUM - (Fr. For I Forgot)

Bullet Connector Selection - https://www.repairconnector.com/cate...et-Connectors/

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 10-15-2021 at 03:04 AM. Reason: ADVANCED CRS
Old 10-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #170
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldave57 View Post
Hello JCAllison, I thought about suggesting a mechanical switch mounted to the steering column. Just about any type of microswitch would work but if you have one that you have some experience with, so much the better.
Hey Mr. OD., as you might suspect, I would much rather have the Hydraulic Switch working to where it would just have to be hooked up, and VOLIA' be done with it. Alas, that has obviously NOT been the case.

So here is where Uncertainties intrude into the melange.

First Uncertainty: We don't know if the problem is in the Mexican Switch(s), or if it is something in the Master Cylinder that is keeping the Brake Lights from working. So in order to work around THAT Uncertainty, we have ordered Higher Quality Switch(s), which are supposed to be here Monday.

Second Uncertainty: We don't yet know whether the NEW Higher Quality Switch(s) will function as advertised. If they DO, we are home free. If the DON'T, then we can pretty much assume that the fault lies in the Master Cylinder.

Third Uncertainty: If the problem IS in the Master Cylinder, we don't know if the problem can be solved by purging the Switch Port in the Master Cylinder, and we don't dare try to see if it will before we get the NEW Higher Quality Switch(s) out of fear that something might occur to render Ms. American totally non-functional which would make it impossible to go to the Post Office to get the NEW High Quality Switch(s).

Fourth Uncertainty: We don't know if the NEW High Quality Switch(s) will work, and we don't know if purging the Switch Port on the Master Cylinder will render the Brake Lights functional. We DO know that the Master Cylinder actuates the Brakes though. So the logical solution to all the Uncertainties is to figure out a way to actuate the Brake Lights OTHER than using the Master Cylinder/Hydraulic Brake Switch Method. Thus the decision to have on hand all the alternate stuff to install a Mechanical Brake Switch.
Quote:
I measured the pin size on the brake switch on my 1957 Skyliner and it is a 0.156" diameter male pin (the terminals are called bullet connectors). I am sure that the 1964 model would be the same size. I'm sure there are some that you could find in a local hardware store, but the link below takes you to a proper sized bullet connector on Amazon (unfortunately there are a lot of them in this listing, 100 pieces).
Valuable information. As for the chances of the local hardware store having such items, there are two possibilities: Fat and Slim!
Quote:
Good Luck. I enjoy reading your adventures with Ms. American
Dave
Thanks for the kind words. Weather here today is right on the edge of being inclement, with the added inconvenience of swarms of mosquitoes! Am going to try to get out to the carport and see what can be done to brighten the Tail Lights. Have NEW Bulbs, and am sure that the Electrical Connectors have NEVER EVER been apart and cleaned. Am scared to death that the fragility of the Wiring will be a factor, but will do what can be done to disturb the Wiring as little as possible.

Thanks for the link to the needed connectors, and ancillary specification. Am going to order the necessary stuff to go Mechanical. Have already ordered the Borg Warner S237 Mechanical Light Switch, because finding Lorrie's OLD Switch amid and amongst the tornado chaos here is another Uncertainty.

Anyway, hope this finds you taking excellent care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Old 10-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #171
JCAllison

Quote:
Frustration factor settling in JC?
Hey Mr. K., as a matter of fact, I seem to have limitless patience due to the medication that I take for this damned liver issue. It's an autoimmune disease, and the therapy for it is to chemically suppress the immune system. The immune system is powered by adrenalin. So having suppressed adrenalin production has rendered me almost incapable of becoming irritable, or frustrated. Which is not to say that I'm not aware of things that don't go very well, but they don't piss me off.
Quote:
Consider this kit, it is for a BIRD but I imagine it can be adapted to a '64 fairly easily. It's just like PREGO, the connectors are in there (included).
In doing all the research into this dilemma, ran across what you have found. It's much more complicated than that with which I am able/willing to deal. But I thank you profusely for taking the time, and making the effort to help me solve this problem.
Quote:
Appreciate your concern to not cut into the factory harness.
Almost everything that has been done to Ms. American over the years has been done so it could be reversible. Meaning it could be put back the way it was originally. Can think of only one thing that was done that violated that reversibility, and that was during the installation of the Manual Choke System, I had to cut a "Tang" off of the Autolite 4100's Choke Linkage Mechanism.
Quote:
ADDENDUM - (Fr. For I Forgot)
Bullet Connector Selection - https://www.repairconnector.com/cate...et-Connectors/
Valuable Information.

But... Let me relate something... Last evening, was doing some contemplation of this situation, and came upon an idea that is what my father used to call "Joe McGee-ing" a situation. Which means: It isn't the RIGHT way to do something, but will work as well as if it were the right way.

Follow along while I describe what I saw in my contemplative vision: Imagine decapitated 1" long Bolts that will fit tightly into the Existing Stud Sockets. Those Bolts will be inserted into Butt Connectors, and crimped into place, and proper sized wiring crimped into the other end of the Butt Connectors. This assembly is then encased in Heat Shrink Tubing. The Wire will be cut to the proper length to reach the S237 Brake Light Switch, and will then have Female Spade Connectors that will fit onto the Male Spade Connectors on the Brake Light Switch crimped in place. Those Bolts will work as well as a "Bullet Fitting". The difference being that all the stuff to make these Joe McGee Brand Wires is already here. AND in fact, Lorrie's OLD Borg Warner S237 might even be able to be found if I just go look for it. In any case, have already ordered another S237, which should be here next Tuesday.

Anyway, Ms. American has a three week deadline to meet before she is illegal. Can all this happen in three weeks? It all depends on how things go. Weather is a factor. Parts are a factor. My energy/endurance is a factor. All that can be done is to make the effort, show some class, and see how it goes.

Take care.

JCAllison
Old 10-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #172
JCAllison

Hey All, got Ms. American's Driver's Side Tail Light almost finished. Here is what was done:

Removed Tail Light Lens
Turn on Headlights
Noted which Bulb is burning (There is only one Bulb, with two Filaments)
Removed the Backup Light Bulb Receptacle from Lens
Replaced the OLD Bulb with NEW 1157 Bulb
Checked the Tail Ligh & Turn Signal, Both were working fine
Cleaned Tail Light Bucket
Cleaned Tail Light Lens
Installed Backup Light Bulb Receptacle
Installed Tail Light Lens. Got only one Screw back in before it go too hot to be out. Think The Mounting Screw needs a Nut.

At this point, the Sun had reached the area of the Tail Lights, and I had to get back inside before I got overheated.

Some comments on what was done:

Had to pry the Backup Bulb Receptacle out with a Screw Driver. There isn't a reason for that fitting to be that hard to remove. The little "Fingers" that hold the Fitting in place are too stiff. To put the Receptacle back in, two things were done. 1. Used a pair of Pliers to bend the Fingers toward the center of the Fitting, and 2. Gave the Fingers a light coat of Petroleum Jelly. These two things made installing the Fitting much easier.

Don't know why the Tail Lights seemed so dim when I first check them. It was the same Bulb for the Brake Light and Turn Signal, and they were quite bright. But the Lens and Bucket were really dirty. They are clean now. We'll see later how the brightness is affected.

Am invoking Grandpa's First Law ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it!") on the Wiring. Everything seems to be working as advertised. This is a relief because I was scared stiff of mucking up the Wiring.

Noticed that there are tiny hair-line cracks around the four Mounting Holes of the Tail Light Lens. Also, there is some of the Gasket on which the Flange of the Lens rests that is missing.

Otherwise everything seems to be copacetic. Will probably have all this done by the end of tomorrow. Then it will be Monday when the High Quality Hydraulic Brake Light Switches arrive. Will see if they solve the Brake Light Malfunction Problem. If they do, WooHoo!, if they don't then we have a Mechanical Brake Light Switch System to fabricate.

If that can be done, then the next thing is to get Ms. American Inspected, and Licensed, and she'll be good for another year.

There is still some stressful times ahead though. My Driver's License expires at the end of this coming January. Here in Texas, applicants over eighty years old have to pass an actual Driving Test. Also, will have to pass an Eye Exam. So between now and the end of next January, am going to have to get NEW Glasses. "It's always something!" (Roseanna Roseanna Dana)

Anyway, time for lunch. Hope you all are well. Take care. Stay safe.

JCAllison

Last edited by JCAllison; 10-15-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #173
JCAllison

Hey All, Hey All, got Ms. American's Passenger's Side Tail Light finished. Here is what was done:

Removed Tail Light Lens
Turn on Headlights
Noted which Bulb is burning (There is only one Bulb, with two Filaments)
Removed the Backup Light Bulb Receptacle from Lens
Replaced the OLD Bulb with NEW 1157 Bulb
Checked the Tail Ligh & Turn Signal, Both were working fine
Cleaned Tail Light Bucket
Cleaned Tail Light Lens
Installed Backup Light Bulb Receptacle
Installed Tail Light Lens. Got only one Screw back in before it go too hot to be out. Think The Mounting Screw needs a Nut.

Tail Lights, and Rear Turn Signals are working as advertised.

Earlier today, found Lorrie' Borg Warner S237 Mechanical Brake Light Switch, but the two Mounting Nuts were not with it. Many of Lorrie's little parts were put into Containers and put on the Shelf. Will just have to see if they can be found. In any case, both the NEW Hydraulic Brake Light Switches AND a NEW S237 Switch will be here next week. We will then have a little over two weeks to get the Brake Lights sorted out.

Am going to scope out what kind of Bracket will be needed to install the S237 Switch, which we will be installing if the NEW Higher Quality Hydraulic Brake Light Switches don't work.

Weather here is GORGEOUS. 75 degrees, 30% humidity, zephyrs wafting about. It is supposed to be like this for a week.

Hope you all are well. Take care.

JCAllison
Old 10-16-2021, 06:43 PM   #174
junkyardjeff

Have not read all the posts but is it getting 12 volts to and from the switch,many years ago on a 65 Galaxie the turn signal switch in the column went bad and no brake lights.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #175
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post
Have not read all the posts but is it getting 12 volts to and from the switch,many years ago on a 65 Galaxie the turn signal switch in the column went bad and no brake lights.
Hey Mr. JYJ, there IS 12 Volts available to the Hydraulic Brake Light Switch, but NO Continuity between the Switch Terminals when the Brake Pedal is depressed.

The problem, at first, appeared to be a non-functioning Brake Light Switch.

The OLD non-functioning Brake Light Switch was swapped out for a NEW one. Alas, it too was non-functional. Figuring that the problem was NOT in the Brake Light Switch, the attention then turned to the Wiring Circuitry.

A Jumper Wire between the Fittings that go onto the Brake Light Switch was installed, and THAT succeeded in activating the Brake Lights AND the Turn Signal Lights!

So that led to the the conclusion that MAYBE the NEW Switch was faulty. This conclusion led to installation of yet a second NEW Brake Light Switch. It too proved to be non-functional.

This led to the conclusion that there is something going on between the Master Cylinder and the Brake Light Switch.

But noting that the two NEW Brake Light Switches were both made in Mexico, it was recommended by Mr. Kultulz that a higher quality Hydraulic Brake Light Switch with a lower operating pressure (45 PSI) be acquired.

Ordered two of them. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. If they solve the problem, we are home free.

If they DON'T solve the problem, we are going to convert to a Mechanical Brake Light Switch.

An OLD, but functional Borg Warner S237 Mechanical Brake Light Switch is already here on the bench, and there is another NEW S237 due to arrive between this coming Tuesday and the following Monday.

Have already figured out how to install the S237. Have all the Material with which to make the Brackets. Have all the Equipment to do the fabrication, and all the Wiring, and Fittings to hook everything up.

Could do the Fabrication and Installation of the OLD S237, but am waiting to see if the NEW higher quality Hydraulic Brake Light Switches will function as advertised. Would prefer to keep Ms. American's Brake Light System ORIGINAL.

Also, the way that the Mechanical Switch is going to be installed will be done in such a manner as to render it reversible should we ever decided to go back to being ORIGINAL.

We are facing a DEADLINE of October 31, (with a five day "grace period") to have everything functioning as advertised. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we should be good to go in plenty of time.

Will keep the updates coming for those interested.

Anyway, hope this finds YOU doing well. Take care. Stay safe. Thanks for the response.

JCAllison
Old 10-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #176
JCAllison

Hey All, have just returned from the Post Office where TWO NEW High Quality Hydraulic Brake Light Switches were acquired. AND, wonder of wonders, the NEW Borg Warner S237 Mechanical Brake Light Switch, which wasn't supposed to be here till Wednesday, was also in the P.O.Box! So all the stuff with which to get Brake Lights to working on Ms. American is here on the Bench. Am waiting for Ms. American to cool off from the jaunt to the P.O. Will then go out and remove the OLD NEW non-functioning Hydraulic Switch, and install one of the NEW NEW (hopefully functioning) Hydraulic Switches.

Weather is GORGEOUS. 75 degrees. 30% humidity. Should be comfortable to work out at the carport.

If the NEW NEW Hydraulic Switch doesn't function, will proceed with the fabrication of the NEWLY DESIGNED Mounting Bracket for the Borg Warner S237 Mechanical Switch, which will be attached to the Steering Column, and with the Switch Actuator Bracket which will be attached to the Brake Pedal. Then will come the Fabrication of the Wires with which to connect the S237 Switch to the Fittings that ORIGINALLY attached to the Hydraulic Brake Light Switch.

Take care everyone.

JCAllison
Old 10-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #177
JCAllison

Hey Mr. K., and Anyone else interested: Just finished installing the NEW NEW Hydraulic Brake Light Switch. Before turning on the Quick Disconnect Switch, checked the Switch's Terminals with the MultiTester. Got a "SHORT"! WooHoo!

Put the Stud Fittings on the Switch's Pins, activated the Quick Disconnect Switch and checked the Brake Lights, and they were ON! WOOHOO!

Put the Key in the Ignition Switch, turned it to "Accessories", and checked the Turn Signals. They worked as advertised.

Am feeling pretty good about this, but the real test will come tomorrow morning when we will see if everything STILL works. It didn't LAST time, but think it will THIS time.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow morning. Till then, take care everyone.

JCAllison
Old 10-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #178
JCAllison

Hey Mr. K., and anyone else interested: Those of you who have followed the Ms. American Capers Saga over the years will remember my having alluded to the postulation that Ms. American has become "imbued" with a "life force" from having been messed with almost continuously since 1986, when she came to live with me. You will also remember my alluding to the idea that she is not only alive, but also somewhat sadistic, but with a sense of humor which she exercises by always doing the "unexpected".

Well, this morning was one of those times.

Remember the other night, when her Brake Lights worked in the evening, then didn't work the following morning? Well, last evening, after installation of the NEW NEW Brake Light Switch that Mr. K., recommended, her Brake Lights worked just fine. So this morning, came the REAL test. Would the Brake Lights STILL work after having sat overnight?

It came time this morning to go out and see.

Took the Ignition Key, and went to the Carport. Set the Brake Pedal, and went around to the back of the Old Gal. The Driver's Side Brake Light was ON. The Passenger's Side Brake Light WAS NOT!

First inclination was to conclude that somehow the Wiring had, as I had feared, gotten messed up due to being fragile. If that was the case, we were in deep trouble.

So to check to see if the Wiring to the Passenger's Side was all right or not, decided to check the Turn Signal. It it worked, the problem would not be the Wiring.

Put the Ignition Key in the Ignition Switch, turned it to Accessories, noticed that the Passenger's Side Turn Signal was already activated. Noticed that the Turn Signal Indicator on the Dash was Blinking. Went around to the rear of the Old Gal, and VOILA' had a Blinking Light!. So the problem was NOT the Wiring.

My next inclination was to conclude that the NEW 1157 Light Bulb had blown one of the Filaments. But just to double check the Wiring, turned off the Turn Signal, then set the Brake Pedal again.

With some amount of trepidation, went back to see the result, and wonder of wonders, BOTH Brake Lights were SHINING BRIGHTLY!

What to conclude? Ms. American was messing with me again?

The fact is that yesterday, when the Brake Lights were working, and the Passenger's Side Turn Signal had just been checked, I triumphantly un-set the Brake Pedal, and turned the Ignition Switch to OFF without returning the Turn Signal Wand to OFF.

Don't know this to be a fact, and don't even know if it is possible, but the Passenger's Side Brake Light didn't work this morning because I had not turned the Passenger's Side Turn Signal OFF, and the Brake Light didn't light this morning because the Turn Signal Switch was BETWEEN Blinks, and as everyone knows, between Blinks, the Brake Light is OFF.

Whew!

Anyway, am planning on cleaning Ms. American's Windows, putting the Enclosed Element Air Cleaner on the 3.14, and will then be heading to the Inspection Station to see if she will pass inspection.

If she does, will go from there to the Courthouse, and get her 2022 Sticker, and she will be good to go for another year.

This year's Inspection preparation has been one of the most difficult in recent memory. Hope all goes well. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care, stay safe.

JCAllison
Old 10-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #179
40cpe

Well, halloween is near. Maybe she IS haunted and is practicing on you. I hope the inspection goes well. Thanks for keeping us updated.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #180
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Well, halloween is near. Maybe she IS haunted and is practicing on you.
Hey Mr. 40C, Mentioned the word "imbue" in the post above. It is as Merriam Webster says: "imbue implies the introduction of one thing into another so as to affect it throughout." I sometimes am almost convinced that because I have had my hands of almost EVERY part of Ms. American, that the warmth of life from my hands has imbued the Old Gal with a form life force. (see also: Anthropomorphize) I know that sounds kind of whacky, but there have been so many times that THAT idea is the most reasonable explanation for why something has happened.
Quote:
I hope the inspection goes well.
Have done all the stuff in preparation for the Inspection (Washed the Windows, Headlights, Front Turn Signal's Lenses, and put on the Enclosed Element Air Cleaner), and after having had a bad night (pain from a broken hip) have decided that Ms. American will go for Inspection tomorrow.
Quote:
Thanks for keeping us updated.
You are, of course, welcome.

This morning while doing everything in preparation for the Inspection, had something strange happen. The other day while servicing the Tail Lights, one of the Lens Mounting Screws got dropped. It hit the pavement, bounced, and just completely disappeared. Looked everywhere for it, all to no avail. This morning when I walked out to Carport with the Windex and a clean towel, looked down right under the Passenger's Side Tail Light, and THERE was the Screw! Don't know how it could have missed while searching for it. Kind of weird.

Anyway, am going to see if this hip pain will respond to some heat, and relaxation. Hope this finds YOU doing well. Take care, and stay safe.

JCAllison

Last edited by JCAllison; 10-19-2021 at 03:39 PM.